Author Topic: Air quality sensor for < 100 EUR/USD?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline wxfan

• Contributor
Air quality sensor for < 100 EUR/USD?
« on: November 14, 2023, 05:58:27 PM »
Hello,

I am setting up an Ecowitt weather station with GW2000 and maybe a WS90. I would also like to monitor air quality (PM2.5, PM10, CO2, VOC, CO) and the WH45 seems nice but I find it unreasonably expensive. It costs almost as the WS90 and I don't understand why it should be so expensive as the cost of those sensors is way less and the packaging is quite simply.

In any case, what are some more reasonably-priced alternatives? I don't expect extreme precision, but I am interesting in monitoring indoor and outdoor air quality. I am happy to go the DIY way but at the moment I don't have much time to tinker, so I would prefer a set-up that doesn't require soldering. It can be a sensor that sends data via WLAN, so without a display. I have watched some reviews but am overwhelmed by the choices.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: Air quality sensor for < 100 EUR/USD?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 05:44:11 AM »
Hello,

I am setting up an Ecowitt weather station with GW2000 and maybe a WS90. I would also like to monitor air quality (PM2.5, PM10, CO2, VOC, CO) and the WH45 seems nice but I find it unreasonably expensive. It costs almost as the WS90 and I don't understand why it should be so expensive as the cost of those sensors is way less and the packaging is quite simply.

In any case, what are some more reasonably-priced alternatives? I don't expect extreme precision, but I am interesting in monitoring indoor and outdoor air quality. I am happy to go the DIY way but at the moment I don't have much time to tinker, so I would prefer a set-up that doesn't require soldering. It can be a sensor that sends data via WLAN, so without a display. I have watched some reviews but am overwhelmed by the choices.

Thanks for your advice.
I have a wh45 and it's been completely trouble free

In the UK on the recent prime day the ecowitt amazon store had a huge discount on wh45 pretty close to your budget IIRC

Maybe worth looking out on Black Friday?

Offline wxfan

• Contributor
Re: Air quality sensor for < 100 EUR/USD?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 06:49:34 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for your advice.
I have a wh45 and it's been completely trouble free

In the UK on the recent prime day the ecowitt amazon store had a huge discount on wh45 pretty close to your budget IIRC

Maybe worth looking out on Black Friday?

Thanks, that's a good idea. 108 GBP + shipping comes to 135 euro. I just don't understand why such price difference with the WH41 which costs ~$35, temperature/RH are really cheap sensors, and PM10 and CO2 are also not terribly expensive.

anything