Author Topic: WS-2080 shows 140 inside & outside, will not reset.  (Read 719 times)

Offline HoustonGuy

WS-2080 shows 140 inside & outside, will not reset.
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
My Ambient Weather WS-2080 console started showing 140 degrees for both in and outside sensors.  I've seen others comment that it's resolved via factory reset.

I've held the up-arrow for 30 seconds multiple times, tried holding for a full minute.  It won't reset.

Sure hope someone can give me some ideas!  I don't want to buy a whole new console.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WS-2080 shows 140 inside & outside, will not reset.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
Pull al the batteries out of everything and start over.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline HoustonGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »
Pulling batteries and disconnecting from USB were the 1st things I tried!

I also connected to an old laptop that's running Cumulus since that seemed to fix it once before when the reset still didn't resolve a glitch with connectivity to my Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for your comment, though.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
HoustonGuy, I had a similar station that lasted about 4 years just north of Houston. Started to develop the same symptoms. When I move the console closer to the sensors, the problem goes away. But the range kept diminishing. Might be due to corrosion from the humidity, transmitter failure or interference from all these new smart devices that keeps popping up. Fresh batteries helped a bit, but not for long.

Eventually I gave up and got a new station.

Good luck.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline HoustonGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
What replacement weather station did you select?  Do you recommend it?

(Edit: Well, duh, I guess I can visit your weather station or get a clue from your profile, right!?)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
I recommend the WS-2902A or the WS-2000 if you still want something affordable. If you want something perhaps different the new Acurite Atlas is looking like very nice hardware, but unfortunately at this time it has limited options for putting the data anywhere except WU and Acurite's site. Hopefully that will change soon. Of course there is always the elephant in the room, Davis VP2 even though it is long in the tooth.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:42:38 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline HoustonGuy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Thanks very much!  Will do a little research and hopefully get something going soon.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
HoustonGuy, I apologize for the delayed response.
Recommending a weather station is difficult without knowing your environment and requirements. How much you are willing to spend is also a factor. Where in Houston do you live?

So, things to consider:-
All-in-ones are great but.. depending on your location, might be somewhat of a challenge to maintain or get good readings. If you are surrounded by 2 story houses or tall trees, it is best to mount the unit as high as possible. If you are under the HOA thumb, that might be a problem. With tall trees you need to be able to check and remove fallen leaves from the rain bucket often. Pine tree needles are known to jam the tipping mechanism. Birds also tend to leave you presents. Easy access to the unit is important. If you can mount a pole, there are various ideas on the forum how to make it hinge down for "easier" access. Stations with separate sensors allow you to mount the wind stuff high while keeping the main unit lower.

Do you want to post your data to places such as CWOP, PWSWeather or just WU? Do you want to run your own website to display your data? If this is the case, then you need to check if your station is supported by MeteoBridge etc. These additional add-ons/devices will affect your budget.

Read the forum and see what members say about the likes/dislikes they have with their station.

Make yourself a list of must have, nice to have, not required. Then check the specifications. Set yourself a deadline when you have to decide, otherwise you will start to second guess your decision.

Are you a fanatic and wants to see 89.14F or will 89F do? Same with rain, wind speed, direction etc. Ok, exaggerate a bit  :-)

It is near impossible for us city dwellers to adhere to the ideal site installation rules but do try and avoid the common installation mistakes as close as possible. The thing to know, these readings are at your location.

As to my station, it is a WS1200-IP. ISS, display and ObserverIP. I prefer hardwire. It is an earlier model with analog Temp and Humidity sensor. Bead 10k thermistor and HR202L humidity sensor. It was installed middle 2015 and no issues apart from replacing the batteries and humidity sensor after 18 months.
To be honest, I don’t know what my next station will be should I have to replace it tomorrow.

Good hunting.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

anything