Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149834 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #450 on: April 02, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
...and I'd swear that, after awhile, all the dang announcers start to sound alike....

[/font][/color]
I suspect that they almost all use the same pre-recorded voice snippets appropriately stitched together, and nobody's really home. :-)  That's what it sounds like to me anyway.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #451 on: April 02, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
Naw, they wouldn't do that...surely.

• Forecaster
« Reply #452 on: April 02, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
#1 2 2
just now live from STWC Corpus Christi...

beginning to get a few submissions from Gulf Coast areas.. maybe get it covered by Hurricane season start June 1...

Now, Where are all the Tornado Alley streams?  High Plains?
1 32  as of the moment...
Kinda 'cheated' a bit... expanded Florida with direct audio file access from WFO Miami / South Florida.... improves our 'audio' coverage down there...
Working these sources up, makes my eyeballs cross...
and I'd swear that, after awhile, all the dang announcers start to sound alike....

1 4 6
... threw in 14 WFO Norman experimental direct access audio file forecasts... helps out in Tornado Alley some for now... maybe oughta rename it 'Earthquake Alley"?

Offline heatcats

• Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central
  • heatcats
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #453 on: April 02, 2017, 08:08:46 PM »
I went through the direct audio files listed on the site, and there's quite a few files that are outdated, particularly those from WFO Norman.

I listened to the Hazardous Weather Outlook, and it doesn't match the one currently in effect, and all the forecast files are outdated. In addition, the WFO Norman files are read with Tom, the voice used on NWR until late last year. Any direct audio files being read by Tom should be considered outdated, as just about every forecast office has switched to the new system with the new voice (Paul).

Kyle/heatcats

Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central (PCTC)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TsunamiCycloneCentral

For heatcats...
YouTube: heatcats
Twitter: heatcats7
Facebook: heatcats7

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #454 on: April 02, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »
Would it be possible at some point, to have a feature that would email us if our stream went down? Maybe like if it off line for 15 minutes or more it would email us to let us know so we can fix it.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #455 on: April 02, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
Would it be possible at some point, to have a feature that would email us if our stream went down? Maybe like if it off line for 15 minutes or more it would email us to let us know so we can fix it.

I have a script to do exactly that set up.  Here's the details on the third 'optional' section: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31582.0#subject_317523

• Forecaster
« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
I went through the direct audio files listed on the site, and there's quite a few files that are outdated, particularly those from WFO Norman.

I listened to the Hazardous Weather Outlook, and it doesn't match the one currently in effect, and all the forecast files are outdated. In addition, the WFO Norman files are read with Tom, the voice used on NWR until late last year. Any direct audio files being read by Tom should be considered outdated, as just about every forecast office has switched to the new system with the new voice (Paul).

You're correct... those "experimentals" from Norman are currently not valid... and coded 'experimental'..  I will comment them out, after they run awhile... I put Norman and Miami up precisely to elicit feedback such as you gave...

there are several WFOs experimenting with this, and a couple are really screwy... ... I've mixed feelings about using the direct access files, anyway... that isn't the purpose of this project... this is more 'experimental' than permanent...

Seattle's 'Broadwave" tests have been off for several days, and the player didn't like 'em anyway with the 'm3u' call...script is peculiar about playlists in it's design and this configuration... Florida's (Miami) seemed mostly consistent for most part, or were the last day or so, and not tagged as 'experimental'...not sure about their observations and tides, but I'm not testing those... Couple of WFOs are in and out / on and off.. and I'm sort of monitoring them intermittently to check validity... and viability of direct feeds.
Wouldn't be playing with these if we had live streams from those areas!  Come on in Gulf and Tornado Alley States... any streamers in Caribbean? There's a bit gap or two!

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

I have a script to do exactly that set up.  Here's the details on the third 'optional' section: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31582.0#subject_317523

Doesn't look like that helps me much since I'm running on a Windows machine.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »

Doesn't look like that helps me much since I'm running on a Windows machine.

You could run Ubuntu Server (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server) inside of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
Not really up to doing all that just for this task. I just thought that since they drop your feed from the list after a bit if it isn't broadcasting it might not be too much to add email notification. It's not much of a biggie to worry about.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
Not really up to doing all that just for this task. I just thought that since they drop your feed from the list after a bit if it isn't broadcasting it might not be too much to add email notification. It's not much of a biggie to worry about.

Broadcastify does have that feature, you can set it up to email you or send a text (or both) if your feed goes down.

• Forecaster
« Reply #461 on: April 03, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
NOAAWeatherRadioOrg doesn't have that feature the big boys have...we're non ad, non-commercial., no account login, setup etc.. just the point at and shoot at thingie in your encoders.. or serve it yourself, and give us the link...  but if you'd like we can manually spam you if you lose connection when ever we catch you down, and we feel like ot, and not busy with something else... and we could even spam you with stream critiques.. a few need such.  What we're doing is just dropping feeds when folks are consistently un-reliable.. and leaving 'em up with a "Dead Feed" icon.  Key word is consistently.  It's simply not our responsibility to babysit folks.
I sorta check mine once in awhile...Kind of a good thing to do anyway...figure I'm responsible for a good quality reliable stream, not an alarm clock to remind me I've an issue... most of us are pretty quick when it comes to 'my data is not good' 'advisorites not working' 'temp gauguge busted'... but then....why not apply the same diligence to a stream we're providing also?   it's easy to lose audio, but maintain a server connection. It's easy to have lousy audio and still maintain a connection.... so...   ????.
(+NOAA likes us... :grin:)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:27:07 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #462 on: April 03, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
I try to check mine daily and have found it off or squealing once. The audio plug I had on one end doesn't doesn't fit correct so ordered the correct 3.5mm 15' plug. Meantime I check more often and used some tape.  :-|
Randy

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #463 on: April 03, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
NOAAWeatherRadioOrg doesn't have that feature the big boys have...we're non ad, non-commercial., no account login, setup etc..

So when I signed up with you what was the money and login information for?
(kidding Mike)  #-o

CW3699

• Forecaster
« Reply #464 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
NOAAWeatherRadioOrg doesn't have that feature the big boys have...we're non ad, non-commercial., no account login, setup etc..

(kidding Mike)  #-o
We used the money to pay off Ken to keep his silence about our goofs, flubs, and mistakes getting it started... he was gonna go public with our incompetence... and we sold all the login data. PayPal and Credit card info to NSA after they outbid the Russians. Few more signups, the team's goin' to the South Seas for next winter...except Ken.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »

(kidding Mike)  #-o
We used the money to pay off Ken to keep his silence about our goofs, flubs, and mistakes getting it started... he was gonna go public with our incompetence... and we sold all the login data. PayPal and Credit card info to NSA after they outbid the Russians. Few more signups, the team's goin' to the South Seas for next winter...except Ken.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Y'all were moving *so fast* it is/was hard to keep up with the daily discoveries of new feeds (and removal of dead feeds).  My  :idea: idea to have a flat-file listing that could generate our needed HTML/JSON is still alive.. just need some more time to have it come to fruition, and for this speeding train to slow a bit so the code could be checked. 

Sad I'm not going to the South Seas with you..  :-P
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

• Forecaster
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
126 streams as of 04/04/2017

Offline tim273

• Contributor
Raspberry Pi Stuff
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've copied over my Raspberry Pi tutorial over to Github:

https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts

I've also put all the stuff (well almost) in there so all you won't have to copy/paste as much.  Hopefully that makes it a little easier.

• Forecaster
« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've copied over my Raspberry Pi tutorial over to Github:

https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts

I've also put all the stuff (well almost) in there so all you won't have to copy/paste as much.  Hopefully that makes it a little easier.
Great Tim!
https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts added to 'How To'  http://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #469 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
Excellent Tim!!  =D>  =D>

BTW.. I did manage to get darkice+icecast2 working on my RPi3 with a NooElec SDR.  I'm awaiting parts on Friday to build a couple of 1/4 wave length ground plane antennas to improve the reception.  Then I'll add the Monterey Marine (WWF64 162.450Mhz) to a local icecast2 and wxradio.dyndns.org streams.

Thanks again for your excellent instructions on setting up the RPi for this .. I must confess that I'm not a vim (or emacs) user.. I'm using nano  (Oh, the shame of it all   :oops:  :roll: ).
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
Excellent Tim!!  =D>  =D>

BTW.. I did manage to get darkice+icecast2 working on my RPi3 with a NooElec SDR.  I'm awaiting parts on Friday to build a couple of 1/4 wave length ground plane antennas to improve the reception.  Then I'll add the Monterey Marine (WWF64 162.450Mhz) to a local icecast2 and wxradio.dyndns.org streams.

Thanks again for your excellent instructions on setting up the RPi for this .. I must confess that I'm not a vim (or emacs) user.. I'm using nano  (Oh, the shame of it all   :oops:  :roll: ).

That's OK, use whatever editor works best for you, I just happen to like vim. :)

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
Just an FYI...
I had problems initially with my stream becoming garbled and "skipping" using M3W. I'm running it on my weather PC which is an old Dell Optiplex with limited RAM and running several other wx-related apps. I found that by simply increasing the buffer time to 15s I was able to eliminate the problem. I've been checking and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Bill
Bill

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
I found that by simply increasing the buffer time to 15s I was able to eliminate the problem. I've been checking and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Bill

I never moved the buffer, default on mine was 20 so you moved it down to 15?

Update: Okay found another buffer place on sound card settings.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:45:14 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

• Forecaster
« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
129 streams as of 04/06/2017
Most of which are even live and working...

Offline heatcats

• Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central
  • heatcats
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2017, 10:58:14 PM »
129 streams as of 04/06/2017
Most of which are even live and working...

My live stream feed (WWF56) is back up and running. Also, it's not a temp feed anymore. It's meant to be more permanent. I just had it down as I was using the computer for something else. I'll be sure to update my Twitter feed (@heatcats7) if the feed goes out for a long period of time like it did today.
Kyle/heatcats

Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central (PCTC)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TsunamiCycloneCentral

For heatcats...
YouTube: heatcats
Twitter: heatcats7
Facebook: heatcats7

anything