Author Topic: Updating North America Region  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Updating North America Region
« on: October 05, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
Generally, we've added at least 28 new Blues, and one newly located Red so far this year:
All were Running Today (10/5/2016) at time of preparation, (see 1557 however)

This brings the AMERICAS REGION (Blitzortung Region 3) to ±120 active stations at the moment.

All the Active RED and BLUE Station signal live samples, as of today, to the best of my knowledge,
have been included on the "Station Signals' page at the Americas Operators site... SFERICS.US
(Note 1: My intent is to lower the sample rate from 2½ seconds to at least 2 seconds, and also modify, if possible,
the displays of multiple channel signals, due to new algorithms on the Blitzortung Servers. Sorry Green stations. No chance)
(Note 2: Many of the site features (including the 'signals') are ONLY available to registered Blitzortung Operators.

Not included below is an  LT 27 / 31e 'Greenish' rig
(#1426) somewhere in Canada's Northwest Territories (Yellowfish ±?)
````2016 Additions So Far````
1439 Frankfort Kentucky
1441 St. Thomas Virgin Islands (U.S.)
1451 Clifton Virginia
1480 Terryville New York
1482 Weyers Cave Virginia
1494 Rogers City Michigan
1500 Spearfish South Dakota
1501 Albany New York
1503 Lincoln City Oregon
1505 Eau Claire Wisconsin
1524 Williams Lake, BC Canada
1539 Macomb Illinois
1540 Stafford Virginia
1542 Asheville North Carolina
1546 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
1553 Concord Massachusetts
1554 Concord Massachusetts
1557 Williams Lake, BC Canada 'Running' but No Signals Since 9/17
1565 De Pere Wisconsin
1571 Olympia Washington
1574 Mount Shasta California
1588 Ottawa, Ontario Canada
1590 Worcester Massachusetts
1591 Sun Prairie Wisconsin
1641 Edgewater Maryland
1648 Trinity Florida
1653 Harvest Alabama
1655 Lubbock, National Weather Service Texas
1660 Palmyra Virginia

A Big "HELLO" and "WELCOME" to any new "Blitzfänger" UU

The Attached PDF lists stations registered but "OFFLINE" or INACTIVE at the end of September, 2016.
Note that RED 1384- Lincoln, New Brunswick Canada is listed as "Running"  but no signals since 9/17/2016
Many are older "Greens", and a few are 'simply erroneous'.. perhaps older invalid station registrations which the owner has not removed from their station registrations at Blitzortung.org  http://blitzortung.org/login.php  Might check if you're listed and update any info.

Cheers!
Mike

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:29:47 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Updating North America Region
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the update.  Compiling lists and seeking out outliers is never fun, but this is both interesting and helpful.

I know that a couple Green owners will be updating to Blue as soon as their kits get here and assembled. 

Things change, time marches on, and while it is tough for those with older stations to give them up, at least the Blue supply problem seems to be lessening.

One question I have when looking at the North American plot of where stations are is why the paucity of stations in the midwest and plains towards the mountains?

Certainly many weather enthusiasts live there, and it isn't that those who can afford them only live in the east and upper midwest.  I'd hope that as the Blue kits ship and come on line that most states will have at least two if not more stations active by the time spring rolls around next year.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Looking chart early this summer it would be an waste of money setting up an station as it long ways to the next station. Have my Boltek running durni g the 3 months there is activity. Just can't justify cost of second station eating my data limit on hot spot.

John

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
1494 Rogers City Michigan is in "dead fish" mode until my replacement kit arrives.
I guess that I will get a new station number when I assign the processor ID for the new kit.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF