Author Topic: I think WU crashed  (Read 22145 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: I think WU crashed
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »
I just check again mine is WU crashed again Lol
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Greg_M

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
My station's WU page is populating but my sticker is still bunged up.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »
WU posted this on there Facebook page. Its about time   :idea:   ](*,)

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

Thanks to everyone who has been messaging us about issues with the webpage. Our web team wanted to share that we're in the process of a large and complex backend migration. Although the transition may cause some outages, the end result will be better stability, speed, and a more modernized backend . Thanks for bearing with us!
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

Thanks to everyone who has been messaging us about issues with the webpage. Our web team wanted to share that we're in the process of a large and complex backend migration. Although the transition may cause some outages, the end result will be better stability, speed, and a more modernized backend . Thanks for bearing with us!

That might have been nice to communicate before they started it.  What a bunch of wankers.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Greg_M

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »

Some day

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

That might have been nice to communicate before they started it.  What a bunch of wankers.

... as we already said many times and used as an excuse

- history data - same problem as many times before, always gets "solved" and few weeks later, all history data gone again
- current data - problems with Flash - as if it was not known for years that Flash technology is unsafe, problematic and will be deprecated from all major browsers - seems to me a bit late to start "testing" alternatives 2 weeks before browsers block it by default (not to mention mobile devices which dont support it for over a year)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

NO, I disagree with them communicating before they started these changes. That is way too late in the game! They should have run a complete test of any and all changes made behind the scenes on a test server to make certain everything was working correctly, as designed, and THEN AND ONLY THEN, should they even begin to consider putting the new changes into a live environment. I spent over ten years as a software development project manager and NEVER ALLOWED any new code to go live until it was proven to be 100% functional and fully tested. To do so, tells the user community you really don't care about them or their customers/viewers. This is total incompetence and what I really don't understand is that, if IBM has some skin in the game for WU and has been mentioned in the forum previously, why they haven't stepped-up and demanded better software development management.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

NO, I disagree with them communicating before they started these changes. That is way too late in the game! They should have run a complete test of any and all changes made behind the scenes on a test server to make certain everything was working correctly, as designed, and THEN AND ONLY THEN, should they even begin to consider putting the new changes into a live environment. I spent over ten years as a software development project manager and NEVER ALLOWED any new code to go live until it was proven to be 100% functional and fully tested. To do so, tells the user community you really don't care about them or their customers/viewers. This is total incompetence and what I really don't understand is that, if IBM has some skin in the game for WU and has been mentioned in the forum previously, why they haven't stepped-up and demanded better software development management.
We ARE their test bed.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

100% agreed. I also dont understand it, I wouldnt do this even with my template, which obviously has like 0.001% of their number of users. Putting something onto production server without testing?! Probably never seen that before...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Good points we are the beta testers. Apparently IBM didn't get involved with the software development side because its not how they roll.
Randy

Greg_M

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
Now I have gotten an email that WU is not getting updates from my station.
I think they have bigger problems than I thought.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
from bad to worse.... is there anything else that could actually go wrong? :D Now they are even spamming ppl...

Pissing off users, especially on a commercial site is really not a good idea...

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 03:59:45 AM »
Is it really quite difficult for WU to get rid of all Flash and go with the latest web technology?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 05:45:23 AM »
Over 24 hours since the problem started and it's still not fixed. I do wonder about the technical ability of those at WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:52 AM »
Over 24 hours since the problem started and it's still not fixed. I do wonder about the technical ability of those at WU.

Based on previous experience I would probably not believe my eyes if it was actually fixed within 24h.... you better expect something in the range of days/weeks or the "always usable" solution of simply deleting or discontinuing that feature.

Offline halifax

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
I can't get the Wundermap panel to populate on my station page, and when I link out to it, it starts on the other side of the USA even though I am logged in. Odd.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 07:55:40 AM »

Weather Underground
1 hr ·

We ARE their test bed.

Exactly! As an IT professional, we always test and evaluate before we deploy. Most of the time it is transparent to the end user...some outages you can't avoid but is rare.
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:54 AM »
I can't get the Wundermap panel to populate on my station page, and when I link out to it, it starts on the other side of the USA even though I am logged in. Odd.

Mine has always done that since WU went to the new maps, even after I save my preferences and I'm unable to log into my acct. from the maps web page. I always see an add too, (no add subscription) I then try to log into my acct and get "We're sorry, there has been an internal server error" WTF over!
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
 :-$ Why not return the favor?  Somebody write a script that sends screwy data and jumbled cam images, replacing current data send... then sit back and watch them try to fix it.  :twisted:
('course then you'd have to block their spammy email messages...)

'Course, folks could do like I've done... dropped 'em years ago... It boggles my mind why I put up with this crap as long as I did.

At some point, PWS folks need to rebel... they're gonna scrape our data anyway... that's their goal... so why waste time sending it to 'em, then filling up forums with complaints and issues? The only thing they'll respond to is lack of participation... 
Glad to Be

... no more for me...

WUFcons attached.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:41:31 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 09:57:27 AM »
What do you guys expect of  a free service??? 

Look I have 35 years in IT with a Fortune 500 and I deal everyday with IBM who is managed service partner of ours (not my choice).

Their resources change like every other week it seems like, 95% of them work totally from scripts, have no concept of what the service they are supporting actually does, or the impact of it being down.

Pretty sure same thing here, the WU folks administering the site are at the mercy of IBM who is managing the infrastructure....

All the user raging we have is offset by the "savings".
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
What do you guys expect of  a free service??? 

Look I have 35 years in IT with a Fortune 500 and I deal everyday with IBM who is managed service partner of ours (not my choice).

Their resources change like every other week it seems like, 95% of them work totally from scripts, have no concept of what the service they are supporting actually does, or the impact of it being down.

Pretty sure same thing here, the WU folks administering the site are at the mercy of IBM who is managing the infrastructure....

All the user raging we have is offset by the "savings".

From someone who was "Borged" by IBM a few years ago, and is now out, the above is totally true.  I was NOT impressed.

Greg_M

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I've removed the WU sticker from my webpage until they get their poop together.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
Terry is absolutely right, it is a free service, no-one forces anyone to use it and if it does not work we should just stop sending data, stop complaining and forget about WU altogether. It is not the only weather network out there.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »

Based on previous experience I would probably not believe my eyes if it was actually fixed within 24h.... you better expect something in the range of days/weeks or the "always usable" solution of simply deleting or discontinuing that feature.

I'm going to disable the WU display until they sort it out. Clearly I was expecting too much hoping it would be sorted within 24 hours.

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »

I'm going to disable the WU display until they sort it out. Clearly I was expecting too much hoping it would be sorted within 24 hours.

Still having issues w/ Rapid Fire http://www.castletonweather.net/
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2