Author Topic: Wundermap changes?  (Read 25528 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Wundermap changes?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
Because the WU map script most likely does not look at your profile settings at all. Similar scripts usually use browser geo-location feature, which is based on your IP. I do that too sometimes, so basically you center the map based on user´s IP and that geolocation based on IP is what causes the problems in your case. Sometimes this happens when your IP for example corresponds to the location of your internet provider, which could be your case.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Because the WU map script most likely does not look at your profile settings at all. Similar scripts usually use browser geo-location feature, which is based on your IP. I do that too sometimes, so basically you center the map based on user´s IP and that geolocation based on IP is what causes the problems in your case. Sometimes this happens when your IP for example corresponds to the location of your internet provider, which could be your case.

Thanks. In that case as I can't dictate where my location is will an email to WUnderground help? Assuming it ever gets read.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
Well I dont really think so because if that script uses IP geolocation then the only way it would be correct is if your IP was different.

I can think of two possible problems:
- either your IP is based on your internet provider location or for some reason you have London IP
- or the database of the whatever service they use that matches the IP to locations, has a mistake in it and locates you to London

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks. I'll ask my ISP (BT) if they can help with my public IP address.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »
The centering of the map relies on geolocating your IP. In this case I must try to defend WU because the scripts are programmed correctly, my location for example works fine. The problem is probably in your particular IP which is not correctly located or located not accurate enough. But that depends on the IP database of the geolocating service they use.

What you can try to do is go here:
https://www.iplocation.net/

And see what it shows you.

Thanks for your help. That link shows 5 entries. Two are usable, 2 are in London and aren't and a fifth is 50 miles away and also not usable.

How do I tell WU which one to use? I went into Member Settings - Page Preferences - and in the Time Zone box I entered Manchester (UK) and saved my selection. I see 'Preferences Saved' so assume all is well.

I click on Maps & Radar - Wundermap and it's centred on London again! Arrgghh!!!

Going back to my profile settings Manchester (UK) has been replaced by Europe/London.

What the hell is going on???

Hi Ray, does this work for you?  I just input the latitude and longitude of Manchester UK into the URL.  Try it and let me know!

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=53.48&lon=-2.24&wxstn=0&zoom=9&radar=1&fronts=1

Scott Robuck
Austin, Texas
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
Hi Scott,

Yes it does! Thank you.  =D> But I used to have a shortcut with the lat/lon in and it stopped working when this new software was released.

No matter. I can tweak the one you've supplied for my precise location. Thanks once again. I have written to WU support asking them to use a different location for my IP address so I'll see if that comes to anything.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »
That should work, the script is probably done so that it uses lat/lon as long as they are provided, if not, it tries to auto-locate you using the IP and if that fails as well (you can reject the permission to geolocate you) then they have one default location for everyone. This is how it is normally done and I use this too, basically you have 3 possibilities in the following precedence:
1. try using lat/lon if provided in URL
2. if not, try to geolocate the person using IP
3. if location is still N/A use some default co-ordinates hard-coded in the code

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
Thanks for all your help Jachym. Clever bloke!  =D>

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »
Just heard back from William at WU. They have no control over which if those 5 IP databases they use but he also suggested incorporating lat/lon into the URL. Must be the fastest reply ever for me!

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »
Have not seen any improvements lately on wundermap...hope they bring back the model info...mainly the euro data such as precip amounts and temps, don't believe that info is available for free anywhere else? Another problem I recently noticed is there is no data available for any stations prior to Sept 7th...again one thing after another.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
Another problem I recently noticed is there is no data available for any stations prior to Sept 7th...again one thing after another.

That sucks.  I was the 8th station in Austin (KTXAUSTI8) to start uploading data (now over 800 stations) and my data went back 15 years!  Damn shame. 
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
Another problem I recently noticed is there is no data available for any stations prior to Sept 7th...again one thing after another.

That sucks.  I was the 8th station in Austin (KTXAUSTI8) to start uploading data (now over 800 stations) and my data went back 15 years!  Damn shame.
I would think(hopefully) that its just a temporary problem.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »
We just discussed this here yesterday:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30339.msg299821#msg299821

Its been like this for several days already.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
I'll probably get a quicker answer here than asking support so...has anyone inquired about whether they intend to add back the model data, specifically the euro data. This was the only place that I'm aware of to get data such as temps and precip for free.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
Magically it is back....Re: Wundermap changes?
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
As of over the past weekend the wundermap has started displaying inside my site again......after months of telling me error---after which I changed to remove the code (I thought) and just put a link directing viewers to right click and view in a new tab.  So now the link AND the map appears. WU strangeness keeps on delivering.lol.

No but occasionally and today is one of them, the wundermap goes completely missing on my site and an error pops up that says it is illegal for security reasons for the wundermap to be displayed in an iframe.