Author Topic: CWOP upload issues  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Marlin95490

CWOP upload issues
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Hi,
New to this forum, but glad to have found it. I'm having issues getting weatherlink 5.9.3 to upload data to CWOP. Have a CW#. Have been uploading successfully to Wunderground. Error in log "Unable to upload data Upload Profile(s) 1 because of error, see below. Error reading data from station. Computer gave up waiting for response from station. Check port setting and connections. Timed Out Waiting for data from station. No new data to download."  Communication port 'TEST' = Vantage Pro station found. Is Wunderground snagging the data first? Any help, suggestions or links to help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Never mind, found I had forgot to restart the console after checking Lat/Long. Duh! More dumb questions in the future. Sorry for the trouble.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:57:45 PM by Marlin95490 »
Vantage Pro2, weatherlink 5.9.3, CW9576, WU=KCAWILLI5

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: CWOP upload issues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
Thanks for updating the post, and for that reason, don't apologize.  When people search for problems in forums, the answer to a seemingly dumb problem is not always shared once a solution is found.  Because you took the time to update, the next person with that problem may be able to find the solution quickly.

Welcome to the forum!

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Marlin95490

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am feeding data to findU but having some difficulties. 1) No Barometric pressure is showing up, seems I am not sending it out to CWOP (per the log) but it is going out to WU. Just changed station reading from Feet to Meters and added a number into sea level under SETUP, SET BAROMETER. Any ideas? 2) Also in the log, getting an error "Error connecting to the FTP server (87)". 3) Had a location issue too, using google map location puts me way north, using to #'s off a topo map put me closer, not sure how to input a Loran number into weatherlink since it looks like it only is looking for '," info.
Have not contacted Russ yet, was going to wait till everything was sorted out, CW9576, WIN7 64bit if that is any help? Will keep reading forum.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
Hi Marlin,

First, about the intermittent difficulty connecting to the CWOP servers.  I had to roll-back from WL 5.9.3 back down to 5.9.2a-beta because I was getting a lot of those.  There seems to have been a problem with a couple of the host/servers and 5.9.2 was timing out.  In 5.9.2a-beta they shut off the timeout, and in 5.9.3 increased the timeout time (speculation).  But there was still one server that would just take too long to respond and 5.9.3 would throw that error.  I have not had that problem again after going back to 5.9.2a-beta.  There is a sticky-thread in the CWOP forum here with links to 5.9.2a-beta if you want to give it a try.

Second, about no barometer data.  That might require a more experienced user, but here is my observation.  Your raw APRS packets don't seem to have any baro data, so it is not leaving your pc.  You say it makes it to WU, so that is where I am uncertain.  Here is a peek at one of your raw packets and one of mine...

CW9576>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2:@281443z3948.65N/12343.25W_342/001g003t041r000p003P000h80b00000.DsVP

DW6891>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2:@281513z4718.20N/12208.23W_174/000g000t047r000p028P001h87b10146.DsVP

My only other shot in the dark is to ask when you registered for your CWOP ID, if you are just now starting to upload data.  Your number (CW9576) looks like it was registered a couple of years ago maybe, compared to mine (DW6891) as registered this January, so I was wondering if you had just recently registered it and it should be "DW" instead of "CW" for any reason.  The lat/long/elev for the REGISTERED (with russ chadwick, not from your station packet) gives them some reference for what they expect to see (especially barometer) so if you are uploading to someone elses ID, I have no idea what results might happen.  You can double-check the registered lat/long/elev on the gladstonefamily.net wxqa page.  Your link would be http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C9576 but it shows "station not found" so something must be up.  Since you mention Russ Chadwick, I am assuming you sent him an email letting him know you registered for a CWOP ID and that it is sending packets?  I don't know if Gladstone gets your data before then.

Offline Marlin95490

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for staying in contact. I do have a CW# I requested years ago but just recently was able to get the software to upload data, user errors I'm sure, plus not finding this forum till recently.  Went with loading VP live and I now believe the Bar. info is heading out from the computer  :grin:, but I have stopped being able to upload to WU :? already asked for help on the VP Live section. I think that the gladstone site doesn't see my data till Russ/randy activated me fully? I'm satisfied with my location but want to do a little more research on my exact elevation, google and my topo map differ in opinions. Need to get my hands on a GPS. Happy Weathering.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
Glad to hear that your data is now making it to APRS.  It sounds like it was indeed a weatherlink issue.  It is true that the cwop people have to manually submit you for qa.  As for how to get your data to WU now that you are using VP Live, I'm afraid I can't help.  Is there a FAQ for that on WU?  That's how I got WL sending to them, using their add-on.

Is your topo map from usgs or a local land survey?  How much do they differ from googlemaps?  Mine were off by about 20' elevation (this area is very hilly), so I went with the usgs numbers from their website, using the coordinates from googlemaps, which when looking at the photo matched my position perfectly (and verified with my navi).

Don't forget to add the height of your pressure transducer to the ground elevation.

If you do end up maing changes to lat/long/elev that are more than the distance to your neighbor, you should email that to cwop as well.  They will post the change by the following Wednesday.

http://nationalmap.gov/

Offline Marlin95490

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Glad to hear that your data is now making it to APRS.  It sounds like it was indeed a weatherlink issue.  It is true that the cwop people have to manually submit you for qa.  As for how to get your data to WU now that you are using VP Live, I'm afraid I can't help.  Is there a FAQ for that on WU?  That's how I got WL sending to them, using their add-on.

Is your topo map from usgs or a local land survey?  How much do they differ from googlemaps?  Mine were off by about 20' elevation (this area is very hilly), so I went with the usgs numbers from their website, using the coordinates from googlemaps, which when looking at the photo matched my position perfectly (and verified with my navi).

Don't forget to add the height of your pressure transducer to the ground elevation.

Waiting on Randy to hopefully move me from inactive to active. I have the add-on from WU and if I reboot and use WL only I can upload to WU. If I reboot load VP Live, and enter the WU info into VP Live Get an error of invalid password/ID? Waiting on Forum reply.

My topo is USGS. Google weathermap on NOAA says I'm at 2398', topo says 2600' and I'm adding 32 feet up off the ground (on top of house). We too are in hilly terrain, and I am much higher than most weather stations around me. Yes, we get snow up here every year, even in California.

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
I'm adding 32 feet up off the ground (on top of house).
With the VP2, the height for the barometer is the height of the console.  Probably not on top of the house.

Del
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
I'm adding 32 feet up off the ground (on top of house).
With the VP2, the height for the barometer is the height of the console.  Probably not on top of the house.
That's a very good point.  It would be the same with Vue.  Why do I seem to remember something about pinpointing the stevenson screen somewhere when I was determining my geographic info?  With any popular ISS, that would not contain the barometer.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
Why do I seem to remember something about pinpointing the stevenson screen somewhere when I was determining my geographic info?

From the CWOP QA page:

Please note that we are trying to spot either the Stevenson Screen (or equivalent) or the location where the barometric readings are taken.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
Thanks Greg, I was feeling lazy. =D>

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
Thanks Greg, I was feeling lazy. =D>

Just part of the friendly service here at the WX Forum!   UU
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything