Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10176 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »
I've been 'testing' SLINGTV for over a month.  So far it looks like a viable option.  My current DirectTV bill is $143.  With SLINGTV it's only about $45.

I was surprise how little we (wife and I) watch non-local channels.  With SLINGTV I purchased the package (AirTV + local adapter)  that way everything fits on one screen and no need to change TV input.  When I did the scan for locals, we got almost 30 channels.

SLINGTV has a DVR for $5 on their cloud, streaming channels only.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the feeback, VaJim.  I guess you're streaming content from your internet connection?  What connection speed do you have?

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
I don't really know.  We're using Cox...mid level package.

We watch SLINGTV in the front room using the AIRTV device with OTA adapter and it's fine.  Down the hall in the bedroom I use an XBOX One to watch SLINGTV.  The ASUS router is upstairs.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:41 AM »
I thinking you have a cable modem in which case your speed is blindingly fast compared to my slowpoke 3Mbps. :) 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 05:31:39 AM »
modem -yes

fast - depends on how many neighbors are awake at the same time

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »
I thinking you have a cable modem in which case your speed is blindingly fast compared to my slowpoke 3Mbps. :)

Out of curiosity, is cable modem service available anywhere near you?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:23 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but you're still just cord switching.  Cord cutting is turning all TV off from all sources.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 06:00:06 AM »
Aside from that, it's weird to see how the grid seems to be laid out.  Some of you seem to be in urban, or semi urban areas and get lesser service than I do out here in the sticks.  No cable service anywhere close, but the Telco has done significant upgrades in recent years and I now get 25M DSL.  Just a few years ago, I could barely get 3M and it wasn't long before that when I could only get satellite.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but you're still just cord switching.  Cord cutting is turning all TV off from all sources.

Your definition is completely wrong so maybe you should beat on something else.

Cord cutting refers to the process of cutting expensive cable connections in order to change to a low-cost TV channel subscription through over-the-air (OT) free broadcast through antenna, or over-the-top (OTT) broadcast over the Internet. Cord cutting is a growing trend that is adversely affecting the cable industry.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:43 AM »
Here's the problem with that.  Cable, OTA, OTT, DVD/BluRay or whatever are just the delivery method.  It's like buying an item and not wanting it shipped by a certain carrier  (I have a problem with FedEx for example).  Any carrier is going to add cost to the item, even if it's sold with 'free shipping' where the shipping charge is hidden in the item price or some store subscription fee.

With entertainment, the content is still where the primary cost is.  If you want ESPN, you're going to pay for it whether you pay a cable bill, a web subscription or buy their programming on disc.  Some of the devices mentioned above can allow more options such as distant stations than you might be able to get on cable, but they may also violate some licensing restrictions, no matter whether we agree with those restrictions or not.  Leagues have blackout restrictions for example and using a Kodi to watch a distant station may get around those blackouts.  Once the leagues find out they're losing money that way, they'll start legal action to prevent it. 

One way or another, the content providers (studios, leagues, etc.) are still getting paid whatever they want, even if it's only by commercials on OTA stations 'free' to us.

THAT's what I'm cutting out.    I don't want to pay the content providers.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:27 AM »

THAT's what I'm cutting out.    I don't want to pay the content providers.

But that has nothing to do with cord cutting. Sounds like you have a beef with the industry as a whole and don't want to pay for anything which is different.

Cord Cutting is reducing the cost substantially by going with alternative methods IE internet or OTA antenna and still getting the content. 
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »

Out of curiosity, is cable modem service available anywhere near you?????
Possibly 1.25 miles back toward town is the end of the line for the cable company.  A housing division.  After that it's pretty much rural with a good bit of distance between houses.  I've been told it isn't cost effective for them to come further out this way.  Through the last 30 years the telco has dug up my front yard (and cut water lines) burying different cables.  The last big venture was a major fiber-optic cable...so I could through a rock and hit the dirt over the fiber optic cable but yet I can't get better than a 3Mbps connection.  I was told for years that the nearby switching station was limited to 1.5Mbps and the cost of upgrading it was cost effective in this area (not enough customers).  Interestingly, they managed to upgrade it to 3Mbps...why didn't they just go ahead and upgrade to support a faster speed than that.  I just switched us over to their $80 phone/internet bundle...this is for speeds "up to" 25Mbps.  This means that someone, somewhere is getting 25Mbps for the same price that I'm getting 3Mbps...almost like I'm subsidizing their high-speed connections.  It's really the pits, but as a friend of mine always says..."it is what it is".  #-o

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
this is for speeds "up to" 25Mbps.  This means that someone, somewhere is getting 25Mbps for the same price that I'm getting 3Mbps..

DSL is highly dependent on cable feet distance from the feed node.  While I can only get 25Mb, the unoccupied house a mile down the road closer to the feed can get 100Mb and the next house from me in the other direction away from the feed can't get DSL at all.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
Intheswamp have you checked to see if bonded DSL modem is available...My neighbors were complaining about low speeds and I told them to change modem out and sure enough after being told once by CSR it wasn't available I said it was because I had it, so they checked again and sure enough they came out and put the dual bonded modem in and doubled speeds. The 3 Mbps could end up being 6 if available.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Yes, I understand the distance limitations, and that is apparently the biggest issue.  Seems with technology today they could get a highspeed connection to travel further.  Right at the local switching station 25Mbps is available...2 miles down the road at my house only 3Mbps. 

Being as I was told for years that the "switches" couldn't handle but a 1.5Mbps connection that seems like that would have been the max near the switching station, too.  But now 25Mbps is available...a 16x increase in speed in the vicinity of the station but our speed only bumps up 2x.  Ah well, we'll live through it...I still remember the days of 2400-dial-up, just a year or two ago I finally ditched my "sysop" tagged USRobotics.  :lol:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
Intheswamp have you checked to see if bonded DSL modem is available...My neighbors were complaining about low speeds and I told them to change modem out and sure enough after being told once by CSR it wasn't available I said it was because I had it, so they checked again and sure enough they came out and put the dual bonded modem in and doubled speeds. The 3 Mbps could end up being 6 if available.
Randy, that is an interesting item.  I did some quick scanning for bonded DSL and it might be doable...depending on how many hoops I have to jump through.  I'm not interested too much in getting into a contract situation with Centurylink but it could double my speed up to 6Mbps and would greatly help the streaming aspect of things!  Thanks for the info!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
The only way to get the 24 is with bonded DSL modem so I know its available but are you so far away they don't offer because it does cost more but if you agreed knowing you wouldn't get the advertised speeds they may do it.  I was only .6 miles from centurylink hub as crow flies and could get 17-19 Mb speeds.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
  Right at the local switching station 25Mbps is available...2 miles down the road at my house only 3Mbps. 

Being as I was told for years that the "switches" couldn't handle but a 1.5Mbps connection that seems like that would have been the max near the switching station, too.  But now 25Mbps is available...a 16x increase in speed in the vicinity of the station but our speed only bumps up 2x.

At 10,000+ cable feet, you won't get much if the DSLAM is only good for 25M, bonded or not.  They ran fiber to all of the new DSLAMS they put in here, spaced about 2 miles apart.  Within about 1,000' people can now  get 100M.  I'm a little over 6,000' and I  get 25M with a bonded pair connection.

The other issue is whether or not there is a 'spare pair' available to your location for them to use for bonding.   That isn't always available.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
OTA via wall-mounted, indoor, flat-panel TV antenna...AND...an in-line, hi-gain, RF amplifier. Works great out to about 50-55 miles.
You must have exceedingly good reception at your location, but looking at a couple of tower locators it appears you have all the major networks within 25 miles of you, if Cortaro, AZ is where your receiving antenna is located.  The antenna farm in Tucson has them all in one place and showing 23.3 miles from Cortaro.   :?:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
  Right at the local switching station 25Mbps is available...2 miles down the road at my house only 3Mbps. 

Being as I was told for years that the "switches" couldn't handle but a 1.5Mbps connection that seems like that would have been the max near the switching station, too.  But now 25Mbps is available...a 16x increase in speed in the vicinity of the station but our speed only bumps up 2x.

At 10,000+ cable feet, you won't get much if the DSLAM is only good for 25M, bonded or not.  They ran fiber to all of the new DSLAMS they put in here, spaced about 2 miles apart.  Within about 1,000' people can now  get 100M.  I'm a little over 6,000' and I  get 25M with a bonded pair connection.

The other issue is whether or not there is a 'spare pair' available to your location for them to use for bonding.   That isn't always available.
I'm about twice the distance from the switch that you are.  I'd be happy with a 6Mbps connection being as that is about the lowest recommended speed for streaming content.  But, it is...what it is.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
I'm about twice the distance from the switch that you are.  I'd be happy with a 6Mbps connection being as that is about the lowest recommended speed for streaming content.  But, it is...what it is.

Do you know anybody that has the higher speed service in that close by area really well?  Like family or close friends?  There might be a different option.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
No, not really.  From my house you can see no other peoples' houses.  Rather rural.  What are your thoughts, though?

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
No, not really.  From my house you can see no other peoples' houses.  Rather rural.  What are your thoughts, though?

Something known as a Point-to-Point LAN Radio Link, though they may be called other things.  Stated to be good for 15 miles at up to 150M NLOS (Near Line of Sight).  Two part system where one part goes at each end.  One would need to be installed where the ISP offers higher speed service, the other at your house.  Theoretically, you would be able to shoot that 25M to your house.  But if you don't know anybody there well enough to install something at their house ....

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »
I was kinda thinking that might be what you had in mind.  I'd rather be independent of anybody else, but again...we're in a rural, rolling hills, timber stands here and there, farm fields here and there, with no neighbors in view...though we do have one about 1/4 mile away from us.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
Something known as a Point-to-Point LAN Radio Link, though they may be called other things.

This was why I asked my question.  I know someone in a rural area with crappy DSL and a cable company that would not come up his street.  He rented an uninhabitable trailer from a farmer about a 1.5 miles away, where cable was available and had line-of-sight to his house.  Off the shelf unlicensed point-to-point hardware is under $400, and even at that range he's pushing 24-36 megabits *actual* throughput.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol: