Author Topic: Remote access, ISO cheaper alternatives to LogMeIn.  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Remote access, ISO cheaper alternatives to LogMeIn.
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
Trying out a 14 day trial of th remote PC access software "Log Me In". I like the program but don't like the subscription price of 450$/yr. The software is mostly geared towards business and IT applications who might have the funds to afford that kind of thing.

I'm not sure if anyone else here uses remote access programs but I'm in search of a cheaper solution. I'd really appreciate suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Re: Remote access, ISO cheaper alternatives to LogMeIn.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
After TeamViewer kicked me off claiming I was using the product as a commercial business would, I found AnyDesk (www.anydesk.com). It's easy to setup and easy to use. In fact, I think it works as good or better than TeamViewer.

Steve

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
Pretty hard to beat Teamviewer.  Others with similar features cost; TV is free.  Here's a list of some others.  https://www.lifewire.com/free-remote-access-software-tools-2625161   I use this extensively for my Linux/Android stuff but it works on all platforms.   https://www.remot3.it/web/index.html
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
I'll take a look at those. Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
You can remote into a Windows 10 Pro computer for free. Easy to upgrade any Windows Home to Pro and does not require reinstall. Pro features just get instantly unlocked. Windows 10 Pro has Remote Desktop Protocol service built in.

• Needs either static IP from ISP or use cheap or free dynamic DNS service like No-IP.com
  • Open and forward port 3389 TCP on router to point to internal IP of Windows 10 Pro computer
  • Enable RDP login on Windows 10 Pro computer

That's all you need. Then you can remote in using RDP client app and point to your ISP static IP or Dynamic DNS name you set up. All free. Login and connection is encrypted automatically. The RDP remote experience is second to none. The computer running RDP client does not need to be Windows Pro, it can be Windows Home or even a totally different OS like Android with one of several free RDP Client apps.

Depending on how critical it is or not to eliminate the possibility of temporarily loosing access, you could forgo the dynamic DNS service if you don't have a static IP. The reason being that from my experience dynamic IP addresses from ISP companies seem to stick around for a long time without changing. I've had the same dynamic IP for over a year now. So you could just open and forward the port and turn on RDP access and then be all set and just use the dynamic IP address you got assigned to remote in. If it does change one day then you just need to find out what the new IP is and start using the new one but that requires being there to find out what the new IP is. Up to you. But setting up the dynamic DNS service and then running the app to keep it current shouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:28:06 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything