Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-2902 UVI and Light Functions Stopped Working  (Read 3050 times)

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
Greetings Fellow Forum Members; 

I hope you can help me.  I purchased the WS-2902 last August, and it's worked well until about a month ago.  All functions are working and display normally EXCEPT for the UVI and LIGHT display.  Now, only dashed lines are displayed ("- - - -").  Any ideas on what's going on, how to fix it, etc.? 

Thanks for the help. 

Mike
KN4GGM
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level & beat you with experience. Dilbert

Offline terk

Re: Ambient Weather WS-2902 UVI and Light Functions Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
Does the physical console report --- or the web Ambient Weather Dashboard or both?

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
The outdoor measuring/sending assembly and the indoor console both work normally except that there is no display shown for the LIGHT or UVI portion of the console.  Only dashed lines. Rain, wind speed, direction all work and report normally. I've tried everything (resets, etc.) but to no avail. Nothing but dashed lines for LIGHT and UVI.

Since posting my original question, I contacted Ambient Weather and they've told me to return the unit under warranty, after obtaining an RMA.  Of course, I've got to box it all up and send it back on my nickel...   :-(

I've had several wireless units that unimpressed me over the years.  I thought that for the money, the WS-2902 was pretty good, based on the reviews I read.  And it was, up until about a month ago.  Oh, well.  That's my luck.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:28:07 PM by QualityGuy »
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level & beat you with experience. Dilbert

Offline terk

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
That sucks, especially if your PWS is hard to get to as most probably are!  Good luck with the replacement.  I've only had my PWS since November so hopefully it last longer as the light reading are the most important in the summer, yesterday was the first time i saw the UV index in the red since Winter attenuates the intensity around here.

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
Yep, it's hard to get to for sure.  I'm no longer "roof ready" so I had to hire someone - $65 - to take it down for me. 

Here's an additional update: after doing a "hard" reset to the outdoor unit, the LIGHT and UVI displays on the console are now working!  So it seems that the outdoor unit has separate transmit functions, which I guess makes sense.  Something must have happened to this particular transmit frequency.  Before I remount it anywhere, it's in an easily reachable location for extended tests (at least a month).

I'm going to have to come up with a post or mast or something that folds over and/or is easily taken down.  Trouble is, it will need to be 25 feet or so high to be above surrounding roof top levels. To have to fiddle with something that's hard to get to every few months isn't going to work...  :sad:

Offline mrweather

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
Im a newbie to weather stations but work with radio frequencies for a living.  I wonder if there was some interference between the 2 units not allowing communication from main unit to head unit.  It could be possible that its working now because they are closer together.  Something to consider anyways.

Offline terk

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
Remember your going to have to get to the batteries every year or two according to the manual.  I've been thinking about picking up a 2xAA waterproof battery case and putting long wires on it to solder to the battery leads in the unit so I can get to the batteries easier, however I'm guessing I should clean it at least as often as I change the batteries anyway so I'll just have to take it down once each year or two.

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
Just count on these units requiring periodic maintenance; replacing batteries (the lithiums I installed were still going strong after about 8 months), cleaning out the rain receptacle, etc.

I've since mounted the unit in a much lower, but easy to access, location.  Not sure what I'll ultimately do; I'd like it to be nice and high like before but...

We have military aircraft regularly fly over our house, so my assumption is that one of these big boys interfered with that particular transmit frequency.  It's happened before with some other electronic devices in my radio room.  And our garage door.  Weird seeing it open when no one has opened it! 

Offline terk

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
You could probably get a new garage door opener with a rolling security signal between the remotes and the opener to hopefully eliminate the possibility of the garage door opening when you aren't home.

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
I think it's opened 2 or 3 times on its own.  Not very comforting!  At night, when we're home, there's a security switch which, I assume, Locks out any attempt to open the door.  Even pressing the push buttons in the garage won't open the door when the security switch is on.

When I replace the garage door opener, I'll get the type you mentioned.  Thanks.

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
I hear your pain.  In Aug of last year we replaced a year old WS-1400 that had sustained a nearby lightning strike, which took out its transmitter, with a WS-2902.  I was favorable impressed with the WS-2902 although I did find that as shipped it was NOT moisture tight and during some intense rains enough moisture accumulated inside the unit to foul the transmitter until the sun dried it out sufficiently.  I pulled the unit down and dried it out thoroughly and then sealed the gaps on top with silicone before reassembly.   All was well until a few weeks ago when we had several days of very damp, freezing temp weather when the humidity sensor went down.  At first it was intermittent, then it failed totally.  I thought it might be a cold solder joint but when I pulled it down to inspect, I discovered that the WS-2909 uses a surface mounted IC chip for temp/humidity so nothing repairable.  As was your experience, Ed wanted me to RMA the unit back.  I contemplated the situation and came to the decision, at least in my calculus, that I wanted reliability and cost would be secondary.  So I ponied up for the full blown Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6163).  Yes, the cost is not trivial in the least and on top of the station itself additional hardware was required get the unit on the internet (USB data logger to connect to my existing meteobridge).  Comparing the Ambient WS series hardware to the Davis VP2 is along the lines of comparing a really nice economy vehicle to a Merc S560.  Each has a place and a value/cost proposition, but there is NO comparison in absolute quality, features, reliability. 

AW offers a LOT of function for the buck and from my experience, their units are really quiet accurate, but the longer term reliability seems to be the trade off.   

Offline Y42351

• My weather station
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 11:07:06 PM »
I had to RMA my Osprey after the light/UVA sensor died after a hard rain. It has been working fine ever since.
Ambient Weather WS-2902

anything