Author Topic: For Sale - Davis Green dot compatible Data Loggers & Raspberry Pi2  (Read 21019 times)

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
Hi,

**I have USB and RS232 loggers in stock Ready to ship**

I have been building and selling the data loggers for a while now and have been asked for a picture of the completed logger.

The boards are compatible with the following consoles both the newer "Green Dot Consoles" (FW V3.xx) and older consoles:

• Davis Vantage Pro
  • Davis Vantage Pro2
  • Davis Vantage VUE
  • Davis Weather Envoy

The loggers come with 1M of memory to store weather reading if the computer is unavailable, e.g. power outage. Instructions are included, and support via email is available.

They will work with the following software (anything that supports Davis console via Com port):
  • Cumulus, Cumulus MX on Raspberry Pi
  • Weather Display
  • Meteohub
  • Meteobridge
  • WeeWX Linux
  • Davis Weatherlink (assuming you have a licence)

I can supply both USB and RS232 serial loggers:

USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $59.99 USD order here

RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $69.99 USD order here

I can also supply the following which is great for a low power Cumulus MX installation:
Raspberry Pi 2
8 GB class 10 SD card, preloaded with Raspbian
USB WIFI Dongle (natively supported by Raspbian)
International 2A power supply, (comes with UK, AUS, EU, and US power plugs)
Case

Message me for further details.

Best to leave any comments specific to you order by using the "Add special instructions to the seller" on the order payment page, eg tracking(see below for additional cost), cable length etc.
Prices Include Free International Airmail Postage (No Tracking, see below)!
Delivery is fast, between 4 to 14 business days from date of posting.
Each logger is sent in an antistatic bag, inside a padded envelope.
Note if you would like tracking, unfortunately it doesn't come cheap, please see the below additional cost in USD:

Australia $8.00
New Zealand $14.00
China/Hong Kong $16.50
Malaysia/Singapore/S Korea $16.00
USA/Canada $18.00
France/Germany/Ireland/ Netherlands/Spain/Sweden/UK $22.00
Belgium/Croatia/Denmark/Estonia/Hungary/Malta/Poland/Portugal/Slovenia $24.00
Israel/Lithuania $25.00

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:03:43 AM by Uksa007 »
Need a green dot compatible Data Logger Board for your Davis VP, VP2, Vue or Weather Envoy?
USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $79.99 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $89.99 USD order here
See here for more info.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: For Sale - Davis Green dot compatible Data Loggers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Will you make a custom version that uses a USB plug on the board?  I am thinking that I might want to piggyback a Raspberry Pi onto the back of the console and don't need the extra length.  Thx!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
Will you make a custom version that uses a USB plug on the board?  I am thinking that I might want to piggyback a Raspberry Pi onto the back of the console and don't need the extra length.  Thx!

Hi,

I considered using a micro USB Connector, but there isn't room for the male cable in the back of the console.

However I can build them with any cable length you would like.

Regards.
Need a green dot compatible Data Logger Board for your Davis VP, VP2, Vue or Weather Envoy?
USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $79.99 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $89.99 USD order here
See here for more info.

Offline rabbitsfeet

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »
In use for about a month. Mine is attached between a Davis and a Raspberry Pi running Meteohub software. Very happy with this combination. Fast shipping to France and received with 10 days after dispatch. Can recommend this as a worthful alternative/substitue for the original,

Offline pete_c

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:26:55 AM »
Uksa007

I am currently utilizing an older serial data DIY cable today for my console  / Cumulus software.

It's worked fine now for a few years.  It is kind of a kludgy connection as I put the RS-232 data on a Quatech serial server and the software is running on a Windows server 3 floors down.  Just really too much stuff here and I am looking to streamline a bit.

Looking to move the Cumulus / Wintel box stuff over to Cumulus MX / RPi2.

I want to mount the RPi2 (velcro?) to the back of the Davis console.

Curiousity question as I am in to time here and utilize a GPS/PPS configuration with my PFSense firewall.

I have also installed the PiFace RTC clock in the RPi2.  How does the Davis console get its time?  I know I have to input the time on the device when I first boot it up.

Should I just leave comments while paying or write to you before ordering your data logger?

I am also writing about the RPi2 / Davis Console / Clock thing / your data logger DIY on an Automation forum and would like to post the parts list including your information with your permission if possible?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:33:44 AM by pete_c »

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
Uksa007

Looking to move the Cumulus / Wintel box stuff over to Cumulus MX / RPi2.

How does the Davis console get its time?  I know I have to input the time on the device when I first boot it up.

Should I just leave comments while paying or write to you before ordering your data logger?

I am also writing about the RPi2 / Davis Console / Clock thing / your data logger DIY on an Automation forum and would like to post the parts list including your information with your permission if possible?

Hi,

The console time is set at startup and then can be set by Cumulus (windows) not sure if the Pi version supports time setting, check with Cumulus support forum.

Best to leave any comments specific to you order by using the "Add special instructions to the seller" on the order payment page, eg cable length etc.
Happy to answer questions here.

My USB logger uses the FT231x chip info found here including drivers, which you will need to make sure your chosen Pi OS is supported http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT231X.html

Regards.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:08:59 PM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

Offline pete_c

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 06:13:22 AM »
Thank you Uksa007,

Yup; just ordered it.  No option was provided to leave any instructions.  Well I didn't the option to add comments. It doesn't matter cuz I can shorten the cable myself when the little project is finished.

Well looked at the picture and I would have to melt the hot melt glue to shorten the cable.  I don't want to do that.  Please write to me regarding order.

Noticed too the price went up a touch.  It is still a very good deal.

Cheers,

Pete
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:23:38 AM by pete_c »

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:27 AM »
Hi,

You need to click the word add beside the add special instructions, which then pops up the box for the comments.

Let me know what length cable you want and I normally glue them to provide strain relief and avoid the wires breaking.

Paypal put up the their costs, I'm not making much as I do it as a hobby.

Let me know how you go, as it would be good to get rid of the PC I have running.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:46:03 PM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

Offline pete_c

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 06:29:38 AM »
Hello Uksa007,

Yup; shorter would be better.  12 inches (30 cm)  here would probably be a best guess eh?.

I already orderd it.  I guess I can just email you or you can email me via paypal address eh?

Started to write the receipe for my build on the automation forum.  Included you link / picture for purchase.

I have gone to a hub and spoke methodology of my automation in house as I prefer not to utilize the cloud.

Automation is a hobby here and integrate weather watching in to my hobby.

Here also pulling down weather maps from satellite using SD radio as a secondary to pulling down maps from the internet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:36:41 AM by pete_c »

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 12:39:07 AM »
Hi,

I have done some testing with my Raspberry Pi 2 and my logger is working great with Cumulus MX.

No drivers were required, just made sure everything was current with Raspbian by doing:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

The only trick was in the Cumulus settings, to set the Davis console com port to /dev/ttyUSB0
I also note that Cumulus MX has the option to set the Davis console time, not yet tested.

Hole this helps.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:58:31 AM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

Offline pete_c

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
Great news Uksa007!

Having a look at the Wintel Cumulus last night and there is a check box for time sync to the Davis console. 

Never paid much attention but did notice that my console time matched the house time yesterday.

Well too will be using a POE splitter to provide power to the Davis Console combo RPi2.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:19:47 AM by pete_c »

Offline pete_c

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:40:33 AM »
Thank-you Uksa007.

Received the data logger today.

Great stuff!  Took only 9 days from you to here near Chicago.

Currently testing running Cumulus MX and Cumulus 1 using a tiny serial server and DS1-01. 

It has run well for the last few days with DS1-01. 

Next trying your data logger cable and probably purchasing a second console.  (another VP2 station is nearby here).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:48:28 AM by pete_c »

Offline pete_c

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
Tested new buffered datalogger.  It works well.

Ordered the serial version of your cable to continue testing with serial server on one console and using the buffered datalogger with another console.

Noticed that the connector is a bit loose such that I had to use a piece of stryrofoam to keep it in place today.

What do you recommend to keep it in place?

I then looked at a picture of the Davis provided data logger and it looks to have some sort of snap in connection pivot thing. 

Is there a place to just purchase that little combo plastic piece or a means to make one?

Redid my DIY post/blog using CumulusMX / RPi2 over here. 

Actually changing the first one mentioned over to look like this one.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/29/entry-445-automate-without-doing-a-number-weather-for-35-plus-donationware/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:13:16 PM by pete_c »

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
What do you recommend to keep it in place?

Sent you an email with a couple of options, i don't normally have issues with them staying in place.

You could try to adjust the cable angle by heating the glue with a hair dryer.
Use a small piece of blue tak on top of the logger between the edge of the logger and the case of the console.

Let me know how you go.
See here for more info.

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
Re: For Sale - Raspberry PI 2 Cumulus MX data logger
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 10:06:43 PM »
Is there any interest in a small form factor, low power solution (5W) for viewing and uploading weather data to the internet?

Thinking I could supply a Raspberry Pi 2 with SD card pre loaded with Cumulus MX.
Just plugin the logger and your away.
Cumulus MX runs it's own web server so you can see all your weather info locally and it also has all the usual Cumulus options for uploading wether to the internet eg wunderground.

Let me know if your are interested.
See here for more info.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
Thinking I could supply a Raspberry Pi 2 with SD card pre loaded with Cumulus MX.
Just plugin the logger and your away.
Cumulus MX runs it's own web server so you can see all your weather info locally and it also has all the usual Cumulus options for uploading wether to the internet eg wunderground.
Would this not be in contravention of the Cumulus Licensing Agreement?

Paul

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
Re: For Sale - Davis Green dot compatible Data Loggers & Raspberry Pi2
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:40 PM »
Have some of the USB and Serial logger boards in stock ready to ship if any one is interested.

I can also supply the following with is great for a low power Cumulus MX installation:
Raspberry Pi 2
8 GB class 10 SD card, preloaded with Raspbian
USB WIFI Dongle (natively supported by Raspbian)
International power supply, (comes with UK, AUS, EU, and US power plugs)
Case

Message me for further details.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:43:40 PM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

Offline kokos1405

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »
I have sent you pm but no answer.

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
Hi,

Sorry I was away for the weekend and was not able to reply.

Your order will be ship today.

Regards.
See here for more info.

Offline kokos1405

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »

Hi,

Sorry I was away for the weekend and was not able to reply.

Your order will be ship today.

Regards.

Thanks! Waiting for it.

Offline The Loco Weatherman

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
Are these the same ones belfryboy is selling?
TLW

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
Are these the same ones belfryboy is selling?
TLW

Hi,

I redesigned the board, so that it can be either USB or RS232 when built, and a few other things are different, eg I program the memory in circuit.

Functionally they do the same thing.

Regards.
See here for more info.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
Could I get the pin-out for the DB9 connector end? Belfryboy was to get back to me but i haven't heard from him. Would like to get my project going again. Where are you located?
TLW

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Could I get the pin-out for the DB9 connector end? Belfryboy was to get back to me but i haven't heard from him. Would like to get my project going again.
TLW

I'm not sure how Belfryboy does his, you will need TX, RX and GND for a basic connection.

Here is the DB9 Standard
http://www.db9-pinout.com/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:04:40 PM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »
That would work for me. If Belfryboy doesn't answer my PM soon I'll order one from you.
Thank you.
TLW

anything