Author Topic: Cumulus  (Read 19657 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Cumulus
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »
Anyone else playing around with it?

I've been running it off an on for nearly a year now.  Pretty neat for a free alternative.  He has recently added CWOP, and Weather Underground Support as well as a real time flash wind speed and direction display.  Here's a link to the test pages I have been running using the stock templates:

http://fairfield_co_weather.tripod.com/cumulus/index.htm

One caveat if there is one is that the software really needs to be running 24/7 for all the data to be correct.  He is I believe still working on a total rewrite that would make better use of archived data for those that do not run the computer 24/7.  Seems like a pretty nice guy and willing to help you if you run into problems.  I posted several times in his old forum.  He has since changed forum software so you'll need to re-register for the forum if you participated in the old forum.

http://sandaysoft.com/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:02:25 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Arthurhh

• Senior Contributor
  • IT Fixer
    • Tokoroa Weather Live
Re: Cumulus
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:30:54 AM »
Yep, it is neat, grabbed my second station a Fine Offset WH1081 and a spare notebook, had it running in about 20 minutes.

http://chh-p.dyndns.org is my temporary test site. Hope to do some page dev work to suit my tastes although nothing really wrong with Steves page

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
I have been running it for about a week or so. Easy to set up. Have not uploaded it to my web server yet. Letting it run for a while to see how it goes. So far I like it.

Chuck

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »
He has recently added CWOP, and Weather Underground Support

... and PWSweather.com support.  ;)
Joe Torsitano

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

Congratulations Joe!  I see now he put that in the Sept. 1st release.   UU
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:33 AM »
I have uploading to my web server and everything seems okay except for the realtime wind gauges. Other than that it was easy to set up.

Chuck

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »

Congratulations Joe!  I see now he put that in the Sept. 1st release.   UU

Yup, he was great to work with.  Responded quickly to my request and had it added in within a couple weeks.  :)
Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
This may be a stupid question but how do you get the main display to fit on the screen? I tried increasing the resolution but the wind graphs are still cut off on the right.

Offline cirrus

• Kevin Hough
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
    • Gorge-East Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »
I had the same problem when I tried Cumulous on my old PC that is set at 800x600 screen resolution. I found out that it worked o.k. after changing to a 1024x768 resolution. But first, I had to shut down Cumulous, and then change to 1024x768, and then restart my PC.
Regards, --Kevin

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
I had the same problem when I tried Cumulous on my old PC that is set at 800x600 screen resolution. I found out that it worked o.k. after changing to a 1024x768 resolution. But first, I had to shut down Cumulous, and then change to 1024x768, and then restart my PC.

That it how I solved it as well.  I was having some trouble with 800x600 viewing another forum if pictures were posted at the time as well so I just decided to stay with 1024x768.
Mark 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:34 AM »
Well that worked, but now another problem.
The program has completely froze. At least before I saw data and part of the wind gauges but now nothing.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still dead.
When I first started it with the higher screen reso I got an error message but I just clicked continue and that's when it died.
I put a post on his forum and he thinks it's related to the screen resizing but didn't have any real solutions for fixing it.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
Well that worked, but now another problem.
The program has completely froze. At least before I saw data and part of the wind gauges but now nothing.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's still dead.
When I first started it with the higher screen reso I got an error message but I just clicked continue and that's when it died.
I put a post on his forum and he thinks it's related to the screen resizing but didn't have any real solutions for fixing it.

I managed to mess up Cumulus and corrupt data files in WeatherLink while changing the software for my HP scanner a couple days ago.  The computer froze up during one of the reboots and I think that is when it happened. Anyway I have WeatherLink back up by restoring it from my laptop copy but not sure what is going on with Cumulus.  I tried uninstalling and deleting the directory, doing a clean install of it and still get the error and freeze up if I try to continue.  Looks like some sort of a date code inverter error.  Need to send Steve a note on it when I get the chance to investigate further.  Right now I'm digging into changing web hosts which will keep me occupied for awhile on other matters.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:56:06 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Online W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »
Anyone else playing around with it?

I've been running it off an on for nearly a year now.  Pretty neat for a free alternative.  He has recently added CWOP, and Weather Underground Support as well as a real time flash wind speed and direction display.  Here's a link to the test pages I have been running using the stock templates:

http://fairfield_co_weather.tripod.com/cumulus/index.htm

One caveat if there is one is that the software really needs to be running 24/7 for all the data to be correct.  He is I believe still working on a total rewrite that would make better use of archived data for those that do not run the computer 24/7.  Seems like a pretty nice guy and willing to help you if you run into problems.  I posted several times in his old forum.  He has since changed forum software so you'll need to re-register for the forum if you participated in the old forum.

http://sandaysoft.com/

I wonder if you could share the data contents of VWS or similar and run it as a simulcast on an alternative site?

I have a couple of the free web sites that I have nothing on currently and it would be nice to experiment...but I have only one station at the present..

It looks impressive and the price is right :grin:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
I wonder if you could share the data contents of VWS or similar and run it as a simulcast on an alternative site?
Or use VirtualVP to run multiple software on one computer...

http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html
Joe Torsitano

Online W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the software tip!
Looks like it may be just what I had in mind!
I'm always tinkering with better or maybe more efficient  ways to make the most out of the least :)

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »
I've done a number of scripts in support of Cumulus.  I've got details on my Cumulus Project Page.

TNET Cumulus Project Page

Scripts currently include:

o Cumulus PHP-GD Banner
o Cumulus PHP-GD Avatar
o Cumulus PHP Wap page
o Cumulus PHP RealtimeLog
o Cumulus JpGraph adjustable Graphs set

More are in development including:

o Cumulus Basic PHP Template
o Cumulus XML data exports

There is also a new user map of Cumulus users @ http://www.sandaysoft.com/maps/cumulus-map.php with a user add form on it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:24:46 PM by TNETWeather »
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »
Excellent work Kevin!   8-)

I'd noticed you had been busy last time I checked the Cumulus forum.   :grin:
Mark 

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
Or use VirtualVP to run multiple software on one computer...

http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html

Do you know how to get Cumulus to run with VirtualVP. Because I have a extra computer and tried to get Cumulus to work on it but it will not and I do have VVP.
Thanks for any help

Anthony

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »
....Do you know how to get Cumulus to run with VirtualVP. Because I have a extra computer and tried to get Cumulus to work on it but it will not and I do have VVP.
Thanks for any help

I have cumulus running on two computers both through VirtualVP.  I have my laptop VirtualVP connected to my desktop's VirtualVP through my home network.  The desktop is then connected to the weather station.  Getting it all to work was a fair bit of trial and error for me as I know just enough to bumble my way through it.  But I don't recall having to do anything special to get Cumulus to work.  I have XP sp3 on both machines.

What operating system does your spare computer have?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:24:57 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
Windows XP SP3

I was thinking I do have my weather station going into a Serial Device to Ethernet box then on a computer I have the program running for VirtualVP to see. Can that be the problem?

Anthony

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
I suppose that could be the problem.  But your other weather software works OK connected that way on both computers, correct?

Just thought of something else.  Are you trying to run with both VirtualVP's connected to the weather station's usb to Ethernet box at the same time?  If so maybe try running the second computer off the VirtualVP in the main computer?

If I'm picturing your setup correctly I have never tried it that way before.  I've always had my weather station connect via telephone wire (serial version) from the console in the bedroom direct to the desktop computer in the basement.  When I started out I was still on dialup internet with one computer, one phone line into the house, and no network.  Oh those were the dark ages.    ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:44:07 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
It works!!!!! but the only way to get it to work is have it running on the same computer that has VirtualVP on it. I got it working by useing the port that my other weather program was useing then changeing that program to use the IP setup.  I am still going to try to get it to work on a computer on its own.

I also have the serial version. Do you just use any kind of telephone line? or do you have to change some thing in it first??

Anthony

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »
I also have the serial version. Do you just use any kind of telephone line? or do you have to change some thing in it first??

Good to hear you at least have it partly working now!   :grin:

I used regular 4-wire extension but the heavier the better and also if memory serves I did have to reverse the polarity on one end to get it to work.  Beware some phone extension cables look like 4 wire but only have two wires in them.

Some I think are using CAT5 for the purpose which would be better for longer runs.  My wire run is around 20-25'.
Mark 

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
oh I forgot to put in the address http://cumulus.desotowiwx.com/ Like it says it is just a test. not sure if I will keep it running being that it is on the same computer that everything is running on (kind of slowing down)

I might take the plung and upgrade VirtualVP I belive I am useing a old version. That might help me trying to get Cumulus to run on a computer on its own.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:51:18 PM by Fox_Of_The_Wind »

Anthony

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
Looks like your running a version and several builds behind on Cumulus too.   ;)

Steve's been really hammering them out over there in Cumulus land.   :grin:
Mark