Author Topic: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted  (Read 48153 times)

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
Re: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
I share your views on this one. Just to fill in the gaps:

1) the dealer was not aware of any changes and forwarded my questions to the national distributor (there's only one here, and they don't sell to end-users...)
2) the distributor stated that they were not aware up any FW v. 3/logger compatibility issues at all
3) upon pointing out this support issue/lack of information directly to Davis support, they promised to inform the distributor over here (that's 3-4 months ago)
4) ...and here we go again, as (1) and (2) remain status quo as of last week

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
Will this combination work with the new 3.12 upgrade? Not sure of the current version I have on my console.
To see your current firmware version, hold the 'DONE' button and then press the up arrow. Then watch the ticker at the bottom.

I am at v1.90. Referring back to my original question: Will my setup work as I have listed and upgrade properly to the v3.12 FW upgrade? I would hate to upgrade to v3.12 then find out my interface will not work now. It is NOT a logger but simply a console to computer link cable.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Verified OK on a 6312 model. 1.90 --> 3.12 without the original logger upgrades OK, serial line still working afterwards.

73 es GL

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
Thank you.

I attempted to upgrade to v3.12 but receiving no serial or USB device is found message.

I am using a Prolific Serial to USB converter with SloWeather's original DataLogger.

Am I unable to update due to this reason?

Or am I doing something incorrect?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:28:13 AM by K3JAE »

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »
Not sure. Obviously, the updater is looking for something which it doesn't find...

(I used https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873 - and simply wired GND, TX and RX to the proper console connectors). Worked like a charm with the "Direct from PC" updater.

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »
Thank you.

I attempted to upgrade to v3.12 but receiving no serial or USB device is found message.

I am using a Prolific Serial to USB converter with SloWeather's original DataLogger.

Don't update. As I understand it, Davis changed the firmware to render 3rd party loggers/cables incompatible. I bricked my VP2 console while attempting to update with SloWeather's logger and had to ship it back to Davis, and it came back with 3.12. I had to buy a Davis datalogger so I can continue to keep records and share my data to various sources. My repaired console arrived last week, and the logger arrived today. All is connected, though the console is now down in my server room. I have a 50' connection down to the server room from the home office. I'll have to get a cable crimper to attach an RJ-11 connector to Sloweather's cable. I really hate to cut his connection off that cable, but if I want the console up in my office...

Davis really pulled a nasty one with this "update".

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
Don't update. As I understand it, Davis changed the firmware to render 3rd party loggers/cables incompatible. I bricked my VP2 console while attempting to update with SloWeather's logger and had to ship it back to Davis, and it came back with 3.12. I had to buy a Davis datalogger so I can continue to keep records and share my data to various sources. My repaired console arrived last week, and the logger arrived today. All is connected, though the console is now down in my server room. I have a 50' connection down to the server room from the home office. I'll have to get a cable crimper to attach an RJ-11 connector to Sloweather's cable. I really hate to cut his connection off that cable, but if I want the console up in my office...

I think I will stand with your advice. It currently works fine as is, and I refuse to pay the outrageous cost Davis wants for their datalogger and the "free" software, which I will not use anyways (the software that is). I'll remain at v1.90 until a better solution is available.

Any known 3rd party loggers working that allows updates?

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2013, 04:46:24 AM »
I cant see any problems sticking with the current firmware you have
do you really need the new firmware?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:33 AM »
W-D    for the same reason that you insist on people to upgrade to YOUR latest version
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline DanITman

« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »
Thank you.

I'm working fine with SloWeather logger.  Upgraded to 3.12 and haven't had any problems.  I did modify my cable to work with Weatherlink so I'm not sure if that is what made it work. 

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
W-D    for the same reason that you insist on people to upgrade to YOUR latest version
but the improvments/fixes with the Davis firmware update I would think are not needed if you are going to run into problems with the data logger/console version etc
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
Thank you.

I'm working fine with SloWeather logger.  Upgraded to 3.12 and haven't had any problems.  I did modify my cable to work with Weatherlink so I'm not sure if that is what made it work. 

What modifications did you make? Please let us know as I'd like to move my console back up into my office and use the 50-foot cable attached toSloWeather's logger.

Offline DanITman

« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
Thank you.

What modifications did you make? Please let us know as I'd like to move my console back up into my office and use the 50-foot cable attached toSloWeather's logger.

I took a standard DB9 cable and cut one end off.  If you collect computer parts and cables I'm sure you have one of these laying around.  Cut one of the ends off to expose the wires.  Depending on the quality of the cable it may be color coded.  If it is color coded here is a guide that tells you which pin goes to which wire.  You might want to strip back one of these and use a meter to make sure this guide matches your cable.   

If the cable isn't color coded you are going to have to use a meter to figure out which wire goes to which pin. These cables are super cheap and if you find yours doesn't have the color wires and you don't want to mess around then go to goodwill or salvation army and they usually have a bunch of these cables laying around.  You should only pay around a $1 for a new cable.

Now that you know which one goes to which pin we can use the pinout of a db9 to figure out what cables we have to connect. 

If you look at your data logger from Sloweather you can scrape a little of the black off just beneath the three pin connector and you will see that he has labeled them.  Use the two guides above to connect the TX, RX, and ground.  The pinout guide above calls TX ->TD and RX -> RD.  To get these to connect you have a couple options. You can solder them or you can find an old computer fan connector.  If you locate an old computer fan you will notice a 3 pin female connector on one end.  If you cut it off and strip the wires you can use this as a connector.  Now just connect the stripped wires from the db9 cable to the stripped wires on the 3 pin connector.  Use some electrical tape to hold them together.  This doesn't look very good so you may want to eventually solder them together.

Basically, you have just built the same cable that came with your data logger. The cable should work and I recommend testing it before going forward. If it doesn't work, try flipping the TX & RX connections and see if that makes a difference.  Now we need to make this work with Weatherlink and Firmware updates.  A big thanks to DeKay's blog post that explains what we have to do.

http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.ca/2012/02/make-your-diy-davis-datalogger-work.html

First you need to strip back wires CTS(7) & RTS 8. Once you have them stripped you can just connect them together.  Solder or put tape on them.

Next, strip back DTR(4), DSR(6), and DCD(1).  Just like above, connect them all together and solder them or put tape on them.

That's it, your cable should work with weatherlink and firmware updates.

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »
Thank you.

I took a standard DB9 cable and cut one end off.  If you collect computer parts and cables I'm sure you have one of these laying around.  Cut one of the ends off to expose the wires.  Depending on the quality of the cable it may be color coded.  If it is color coded here is a guide that tells you which pin goes to which wire.  You might want to strip back one of these and use a meter to make sure this guide matches your cable.   

If the cable isn't color coded you are going to have to use a meter to figure out which wire goes to which pin. These cables are super cheap and if you find yours doesn't have the color wires and you don't want to mess around then go to goodwill or salvation army and they usually have a bunch of these cables laying around.  You should only pay around a $1 for a new cable.

Now that you know which one goes to which pin we can use the pinout of a db9 to figure out what cables we have to connect. 

If you look at your data logger from Sloweather you can scrape a little of the black off just beneath the three pin connector and you will see that he has labeled them.  Use the two guides above to connect the TX, RX, and ground.  The pinout guide above calls TX ->TD and RX -> RD.  To get these to connect you have a couple options. You can solder them or you can find an old computer fan connector.  If you locate an old computer fan you will notice a 3 pin female connector on one end.  If you cut it off and strip the wires you can use this as a connector.  Now just connect the stripped wires from the db9 cable to the stripped wires on the 3 pin connector.  Use some electrical tape to hold them together.  This doesn't look very good so you may want to eventually solder them together.

Basically, you have just built the same cable that came with your data logger. The cable should work and I recommend testing it before going forward. If it doesn't work, try flipping the TX & RX connections and see if that makes a difference.  Now we need to make this work with Weatherlink and Firmware updates.  A big thanks to DeKay's blog post that explains what we have to do.

http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.ca/2012/02/make-your-diy-davis-datalogger-work.html

First you need to strip back wires CTS(7) & RTS 8. Once you have them stripped you can just connect them together.  Solder or put tape on them.

Next, strip back DTR(4), DSR(6), and DCD(1).  Just like above, connect them all together and solder them or put tape on them.

That's it, your cable should work with weatherlink and firmware updates.

Thanks very much for posting this! I appreciate the time put into it. I'll tackle it in a weekend or two and post the results. I'm in a busy period right now, but this one tops my hobby list of "to-do's".

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
« Reply #189 on: May 05, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
I look forward to hearing from you after the modification. If you are successful then I may tackle it. However I notice you reference WeatherLink, which I do not use. Is it necessary to update firmware? If so then I'll be forced to download and install it for a brief period of time until the update happens then uninstall it again. I see no beneficial reason to run both WeatherLink and WD.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline DanITman

« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
I look forward to hearing from you after the modification. If you are successful then I may tackle it. However I notice you reference WeatherLink, which I do not use. Is it necessary to update firmware? If so then I'll be forced to download and install it for a brief period of time until the update happens then uninstall it again. I see no beneficial reason to run both WeatherLink and WD.

Weatherlink is not necessary to update the FW.  The firmware update tool is a separate tool that you can download from the Davis website.

anything