Author Topic: What Do I need to Setup a New weatherstatio n  (Read 778 times)

Offline craigstafford

What Do I need to Setup a New weatherstatio n
« on: July 09, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
hi, I'm new to the group. Ive been a weather geek for years and am now retired to South Florida. I want to get a very good weather Station. Davis sounds like what I'm looking for (I Think). I want to know what I need: Everything that I need to get started like the weather station, the weather link, mounting pole, hardware, etc. I see there are different types and prices. The price is not really the main consideration but I want all bells and whistles but don't want to buy something I don't need. I want to get everything I need at once. My only question is what type of mount/pole I need and if the ambient outdoor temperature sensor is shielded from direct sun. Also, don't want to go over a 1,000 total. Thanks for everything  Craig

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: What Do I need to Setup a New weatherstatio n
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
The temperature sensor has a radiation shield for placement in direct sun. That is true for just about most popular brands (Davis, Acurite, Ambient), but there are exceptions with other brands.

There isn't a best or perfect complete weather station from Davis because you need a logger. There are many solutions to these loggers, and they are different and each have their appeal. They range from Davis only solutions to 3rd party solutions that work with the Davis hardware. I suggest you read up on the various methods of data collection and then you can see what fits your needs.

Some of these logger solutions are (in no particular order):
  • Davis USB logger (or 3rd party) with Weatherlink software or with 3rd party software like; Weather Display, WeeWx, Cumulus, Meteobridge.
  • WiFiLogger in the console 
  • Meteobridge Nano in the console 
  • Davis Weatherlink Live with or without 3rd party software; Weather Display, WeeWx, Cumulus, Meteobridge. (not all of these work yet with WLL... But they are working on it) 
  • Davis IP Logger (discontinued but still available...being phased out for WLL) 
  • Meteobridge Pro
* You'll also need a 24 hour on computer for some of these software solutions. It's popular to use a Raspberry Pi or old computer. Some solutions don't need this computer like WiFiLogger, any of the Meteobridges, and the WLL as those are their own device.

Your $1000 is going to cut it close to get you mounting, logger solution and the best Davis which is a VP2 Plus (Plus means it has UV and solar radiation sensors.) You'll have to forgo FARS model though to stay under $1000 (when you add it all up.) So you won't have all bells and whistles.

Mounting depends on your location. Do you have an open space or will you be roof mounting? You should read up on best practices for siting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:15:01 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: What Do I need to Setup a New weatherstatio n
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
You're on the right track and can't go wrong with this https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/complete-weather-stations/vantage-pro2-series/wireless/davis-6163-wireless-vantage-pro2-plus-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

But adding the data logger of your choice, i.e. WiFiLogger also available from Scaled, will get you just over the $1,000, plus the cost of pole and mounting (relative low cost if you are a bit of a DIY.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything