Author Topic: WeatherFlow  (Read 3831 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: WeatherFlow
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
True a sensor for rainfall could never work, but the plus side if far more accurate wind speed.

I did read its 10x more sensitive at picking up wind over cups which has some weight to push and drag even before it detects wind.

Think the way it measures wind is the strong point and even detects draughts which cups wont pick up.

The whole practical no maintenance and wind are its main selling point.
my own experience of comparing cups(vp2) is the weatherflow begins to fall behind has the wind increases , calm winds are rare events here
As I've stated in another thread, after replacing the speed cartridge on the VP2's cups about 3 months ago (it is different than the old one it replaced), it'll now report 1mph (1.6kph) all day long. I suppose with other software (WL doesn't show wind to the tenth) it very well may display under 1mph. Don't know how much slower one would need.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
True a sensor for rainfall could never work, but the plus side if far more accurate wind speed.

I did read its 10x more sensitive at picking up wind over cups which has some weight to push and drag even before it detects wind.

Think the way it measures wind is the strong point and even detects draughts which cups wont pick up.

my own experience of comparing cups(vp2) is the weatherflow begins to fall behind has the wind increases , calm winds are rare events here
As I've stated in another thread, after replacing the speed cartridge on the VP2's cups about 3 months ago (it is different than the old one it replaced), it'll now report 1mph (1.6kph) all day long. I suppose with other software (WL doesn't show wind to the tenth) it very well may display under 1mph. Don't know how much slower one would need.

Onset HOBO now offers a modified Davis anemometer as a "low budget" alternative. The one on our station yields wind speed measurements in increments of about 0.7 mph (0.0 calm, then 0.7, 1.5, etc.).

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »

Onset HOBO now offers a modified Davis anemometer as a "low budget" alternative. The one on our station yields wind speed measurements in increments of about 0.7 mph (0.0 calm, then 0.7, 1.5, etc.).

Rich K.
I'm confused. Why is this product offered at more than 2.5 times the cost of a OEM VP2 anny, yet less accurate overall and doesn't even use a full 360 degrees of measurement either?

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 01:40:42 AM »

Rich K.

Records less than 1mph or less than 1kph. Think I read somewhere will show droughts and 1/10 mph.

Will detect winds far less than cups. I know that and update wind every 3 secs

anything