Author Topic: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.  (Read 8339 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Here are few possible solutions for the WS-2000 lack of backup batteries:

• add a console with a battery. You can purchase just the display from the WS-2902A which has batteries. The outdoor unit is the same. The consoles are the only difference. You can have as many consoles as you want. So you can have a WS-2902A or a WS-2000 complete station and just add the other console and now you have both. The WS-2902A even though it has batteries will not upload to WiFi under battery power. It is just for viewing during power outage. The screen will go dark though to save batteries so you must press a button to wake it.
  • add a GW1000 and power it via USB port from some battery backup device. Or you can power it from many laptops since many have always on USB ports. Essentially the laptop becomes the UPS. Laptops have this so that you could charge your phone without booting the laptop. This console uses little power as it doesn't have a display. As long as it's powered via USB (the only way to power it) then WiFi is uploading. This is a great console to have for data acquisition capabilities anyway.
  • add a UPS to the WS-2000 as previously suggested

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:46:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
Trouble with the altlas is its massive and a wind catcher. Will need a very steady pole else will wobble in wind and give false rain indication.

I perfer Ambient as their stations are low profile and more reliable than acurite.

I have a Davis vue also, but not liking how it needs to be hooked up to PC all the time to be online and send results.

I like how the ambient is easy no hooking up to PC needed and also works with alexa and google home which I have.

I just hate how Davis to get online you got to pay the extra to do this while all the other stations nowdays you can do it straight from the unit itself.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2019, 11:54:55 PM »
Trouble with the altlas is its massive and a wind catcher. Will need a very steady pole else will wobble in wind and give false rain indication.

I do also think the Atlas 7/8 is huge and ugly. The Atlas Elite (unreleased) though still looks large but at least doesn't look like an ugly alien ship. The Atlas 7/8 though shouldn't wobble with proper instsllation. I've not heard of anyone complaining about wobble.

I perfer Ambient as their stations are low profile and more reliable than acurite.

Well I think we could debate that. I have a 1 year old Ambient and it has yellowed considerably. The Atlas had lots of problems out the gate but things seem better now...well there are a few people with some strange rain readings that is yet unresolved. But the Atlas has better wind and better temperature and humidity sensor. Don't get me wrong...all things considered I'm still happy with my Ambient. I'll buy a replacement outdoor unit if it only last 2 or 3 years...they are cheap and report considerably well in my location. I'll only reconsider if something yet better comes along like Elite or a VP3. The Ambient does look nice, only wish they used more quality plastic with UV protection. An SHT31 instead of an SHT30 would be nice too for some people in very dry climate. Or rather as CW2274 has said... probably nothing wrong with the SHT30 if they had not limited it in software to 10% min humidity.

I have a Davis vue also, but not liking how it needs to be hooked up to PC all the time to be online and send results.

I like how the ambient is easy no hooking up to PC needed and also works with alexa and google home which I have.

I just hate how Davis to get online you got to pay the extra to do this while all the other stations nowdays you can do it straight from the unit itself.

With the Davis stations there are two loggers that add much capability to the station so that they don't need to be plugged into a PC. You can get a WiFiLogger or a Meteobridge Nano. The Meteobridge can even report to AmbientWeather.net if licensed. Both of these loggers make the Davis much more powerful than any stock Ambient. Although you can add a Meteobridge to the Ambient. Davis also now has a WiFi stand alone logger called the WeatherLink Live.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:08:01 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2019, 01:41:47 AM »
Yeah at a price and that's the problem. Ambient and acurite there is nothing extra to buy to get your data online

anything