Author Topic: cwop flickr  (Read 6090 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
cwop flickr
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
I finally uploaded some flickr images of station, as per instructions.  I tagged them as instructed, but they never showed up on my gladstone page.

I have used flickr in the past to share pix with relatives, but this was my fist foray into public posting and tags.  I can see the photo's on my logged in version, they show as public, but when I search flckr for wx:cwop=c8618 nothing comes up?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: cwop flickr
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
I finally uploaded some flickr images of station, as per instructions.  I tagged them as instructed, but they never showed up on my gladstone page.

I have used flickr in the past to share pix with relatives, but this was my fist foray into public posting and tags.  I can see the photo's on my logged in version, they show as public, but when I search flckr for wx:cwop=c8618 nothing comes up?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,

It's been a while since I've been to Flickr, but when you look at one of the pictures you've uploaded, there should be an icon/link where you can "add to group".  You have to add the pictures to the cwop group.  Then, it takes about a day for the pictures to show up on your QA summary page.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/cwop/

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
Thanks greg.
The instructions dont say anything about joining the group (its says to look for them there).  It reads that the tags they say to add to the photos automatically make the pictures show up there.  The polling is done once a day at 4:30am.  Oh well just for interest, I did click to join the group.

I guess my issue is that I have these three tags on my pix
wxtagged
wx:station
wx:cwop=c8618

yet, I cant even find them when doing a non logged in search on flickr.   I uploaded on Nov 10th, is it possilbe that tags take a few days to propogate through the internal search engine?  Sounds unlikely....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
I had that same run it with my photos. I had to first get rid of my old photos to make room for my new ones. If you said you tagged them correctly wait a day or so as I had to for my photos and see what happens. Keep us posted.
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:53 AM »
Its very strange. I am below my flickr limit.  I dont even think the issue is with CWOP's daily process right now.  I cant even find the pix on flickr when not logged in???  Maybe I will open a new free account just for cwop, and give that a try.

Andrew

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:47:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure you have to sign up for that group before the pictures show. I had a hard time at first, it seems the directions are a little off. Seems like it took a little while after I signed up before the pictures started showing up.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »
Thanks greg.
The instructions dont say anything about joining the group (its says to look for them there).  It reads that the tags they say to add to the photos automatically make the pictures show up there.  The polling is done once a day at 4:30am.  Oh well just for interest, I did click to join the group.

I guess my issue is that I have these three tags on my pix
wxtagged
wx:station
wx:cwop=c8618

yet, I cant even find them when doing a non logged in search on flickr.   I uploaded on Nov 10th, is it possilbe that tags take a few days to propogate through the internal search engine?  Sounds unlikely....

Andrew

I guess I misunderstood your original question.  I went back and tried to find my pics on flickr using the flickr search and it turned up nothing.  If I search for people, I can find my photostream, but not individual pictures (I thought that was one of the purposes of tags).  Oh well.

On the other hand, I also went back and reviewed the instructions for posting pictures on CWOP.  You are right.  They don't mention adding the pictures to the group.  However, if memory serves me right, I think I had to add the pictures to the group before the CWOP site would grab them.  I noticed that in the instructions, the example picture has the picture added to the group.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:36:05 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 07:50:06 AM »
I actually joined the group last night, even added one of my photo's with the buttons as well.   It gets stranger and stranger.

Here is the group, when I click on the link http://www.flickr.com/groups/cwop/ while not logged in. Picture count in group is 1829.

Here is the group, when I am logged in, my test pic is there.  Also picture count for group is 138 more at 1967

Here is a direct link to an image I have tagged, and added to the pool at cwop. 

Andrew

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:05:14 AM »
That is indeed very strange.  It did the very same thing with me.  I looked at the group signed out and your pic did not show.  I looked at the group signed in and you pic was there.

This house has sho gone crazy!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
But I just had a thought (no, it didn't hurt too much).   #-o

Look at your permissions for the pictures.  Somewhere you can select who sees your pictures.  I think it says everyone, flickr members, friends, etc.  You may want to select everyone, so that you can see it if you're not signed in.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:42 AM »
Its tagged as public, probably cant see on my screen cap, but that green box bottom right means all should be able to see.
Here is a direct link to that photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15718738@N04/4093357428/in/pool-cwop

Andrew

But I just had a thought (no, it didn't hurt too much).   #-o

Look at your permissions for the pictures.  Somewhere you can select who sees your pictures.  I think it says everyone, flickr members, friends, etc.  You may want to select everyone, so that you can see it if you're not signed in.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
This is worse than Mission Impossible!

Try going to Flickr>You>Your Account>Privacy & Permissions and make sure all your permissions are set to anyone.  That is the only other thing I can think of.

Good luck!

(and if any of your team are captured or killed, The Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:51:47 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
This house has sho gone crazy!

The sad thing is, I knew what that quote was from, before seeing the clip... More wasted neurons...

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »
Andrew:  For what it's worth, I think it's working on flickr now.  I can see your pic in the group while not signed in.  It will probably be tomorrow before it shows up on your QA page.

SLO:  I love the stooges!   \:D/  And that line is a classic.  It's amazing how many people recognize that line when I say it.  :smile:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Strange. I can also search my tags now while not logged in.  Flickr hickup, or that mystery 5 upload thing? (even though I have 190+)????

Andrew

Andrew:  For what it's worth, I think it's working on flickr now.  I can see your pic in the group while not signed in.  It will probably be tomorrow before it shows up on your QA page.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »
Well the pix are on cwop now too.  so the tags work.  Here is my hypothesis (Greg thanks for all the ideas)  ....   I had followed all the cwop instructions perfectly, the issue was with Flickr.  In the cwop instructions it said to make sure you upload at least 5 photos to "activate your flikr account"  Since I have had an account for years, with over 190 pic's (i used to have more as it was premium membership with my isp, but deleted a bunch when it was downgraded after my "trial") I figured my account had be "activated".  I used flickr to send pics to family without cloggin up the net and peoples email accounts with jpg.... one little email to several family with a link to the pics... All my uploads were private, with invite links.  I uploaded 4 station pics, with public access, and the 3 cwop tags.

Greg mentioned this 5 pic thing.. so I redundantly added 1 more public pic.  So it seems that no flicker pics with be tag searchable or publicly viewed unless you have 5 "public" pics.  I have seen cwop stations with only 1 or 2 or .... 4 pics.... so I think as long as you have 5 or more public pics your 1, 2....4 cwop pics will be scraped and show up.  I wonder what would happen if I deleted one public pic now???

Perhaps I will drop a email to Phillip and tell him to add the word "PUBLIC" to the instructions.
"Note:  You must upload at least 5 (five) pictures to your FLICKR account to activate your account."
should read
"Note:  You must upload/have at least 5 PUBLIC (five) pictures to your FLICKR account to activate your account for CWOP use."

Andrew

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »
I'm having issues as well. I followed everything and only two of my ten pics are showing on my Gladstone info page. My account name is my station number, I have all three tags on each photo and they are all added to the CWOP group. I emailed Philip but never heard anything.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »
I added some pics of "nearby places" not station pics and added only the wxtagged and wxcwop=d2642 tags as per the instructions (wxstation tag needed only for station pics). My Flickr account has many pics and all are public. The cwop photos showed up after 5 or 6 days on my CWOP page.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:54:05 AM by DanS »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 06:43:39 AM »
Mark,
Mine showed up the day after I posted my 5th "public" pic (even though I had 200 other pics).  So I dont know if it was the "public" thing, or the 5-6 day delay that Dan experienced.

Strange that a few showed up for you, I was all or none.  Which reminds me I moved my ISS last weekend, guess I need to remove/add some.  I will track timing on that.

When I first joined CWOP I had sent Philip a few emails, he responded almost instantly. The last 2 or 3 times, including the flikr thing I did not hear a peep back.

Andrew

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 06:52:11 AM »

When I first joined CWOP I had sent Philip a few emails, he responded almost instantly. The last 2 or 3 times, including the flikr thing I did not hear a peep back.

Andrew

Andrew, last year I took a bunch of photo's of the Thai Meteorological Department right down the road from me. This branch provides METAR and airport weather for the int'l airport nearby. I thought Philip would like them to add to the VTCC (Chiang Mai Int'l airport) page. He responded to it the next day. Maybe he takes off for periods. I do believe the delay in getting your photo's from Flikr to CWOP are human intervention related.

Dan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »
Probably, did not mean to knock him really.  I'm sure he has a real job too, and us pws weather geeks probably bombard him with tons of emails....

Andrew

Andrew, last year I took a bunch of photo's of the Thai Meteorological Department right down the road from me. This branch provides METAR and airport weather for the int'l airport nearby. I thought Philip would like them to add to the VTCC (Chiang Mai Int'l airport) page. He responded to it the next day. Maybe he takes off for periods. I do believe the delay in getting your photo's from Flikr to CWOP are human intervention related.

Dan

anything