Author Topic: WeatherlinkIP  (Read 26210 times)

Offline glorfindeal

WeatherlinkIP
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:38 AM »
Davis now has more information posted on their website about WeatherlinkIP.  Hopefully this means they are about to release.

http://www.weatherlink.com/faq.php

Glor

Offline dmevis

• Cardiff By The Sea Weather
Re: WeatherlinkIP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:19:31 PM »
There is also reference to Weatherlink Version 5.8.

I hope that an enhanced version of Weatherlink is coming also.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »
Is it just me, or could they have made the FAQ any more confusing? (just like prior info releases on the IP logger)

The way I read it, the 5.8 version of WL can access the station data via LAN, and manipulate it locally, but the software has no way to send the data out to the internet--only the datalogger itself can send data to the internet, and then only to the Davis server...

Their is hope though, because they frequently say "at this time" when referring to the capabilities... maybe in 2009 they'll have a datalogger and software solution that will allow all functionality of WL 5.7, but with data streams going via IP... ah, the possibilities of remotely managed stations via internet...  :-)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Two Dogs

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
I spoke with Davis today and they said the "NEW" Weatherlink IP ...is for sale as of today...01/09/2008
Anybody got any info on the IP version?
I found the following under facts.

FAQS

Will WeatherLinkIP work with other weather software programs?
No, at this time only WeatherLink 5.8 can communicate with WeatherLinkIP[/b
]

I wrote to Davis about this and this was their reply for now:

That is unknown at this time. It is a possibility though. However it will not be soon. The WeatherLink IP just came out today

;)I am very new to this and I'm not familiar with setting up websites at all.
This new IP is supposed to do all the work for you in that regard, thats why I'm interested.

Also, Is 5.8 the newest version of the regular Weatherlink or does 5.8 come only with the new IP version?

Any Help out there??

Thanks,
Paul

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Personally, I'd stay far away from this until the kinks are worked out and they expand it beyond its current state. If it can't be used with other software packages, then it is a totally useless piece of hardware at this point in time.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Two Dogs

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
Thanks Bob.........I think you may be right.
Paul

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
To put it in other terms...

Sometimes when you are on the bleeding edge, the blood is your own...

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »
Hi
I am hoping to be able to add support for it to Weather Display Software (i.e just need access (via the internet) to a data feed to do that)
if anyone is interested
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:54:14 AM by windy »

Offline glorfindeal

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 02:49:40 PM »
Well, for good or bad, my copy of WeatherlinkIP will be here on monday.

Glor

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
Much more discussion over at the weather-watch forum on the new logger...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline glorfindeal

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »
If anyone is interested in what the weatherlink webpage looks like, here is mine:

www.weatherlink.com/user/glorfindel/

Glor

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Weatherlink IP alternative?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
I had a recent exchange with Davis customer service regarding the new Weatherlink IP.  I say it is too expensive at this time, but hope it will become more affordable within the year.  I have been waiting for the release of the IP version to go online since acquiring my station last year.  Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.  I noticed this interesting piece of hardware, the "Haute Spot" Wi-Fi device that connects with a serial datalogger.  This enables you to place your display console anywhere within range of your WIFI router AND not have to keep your computer on for uploads to continually occur (or at least every few seconds according to the specs on this product.  It is available only at Ambientweather.com, and is still way to expensive (500 bucks!).  You can see it at this link: http://www.ambientweather.com/haipandwiwes.html

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
definitely too expensive. Something like that could be sold for under $200 using currently available components, with a power draw of 5 watts or less.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »
I just noticed Ambientweather.com is selling the WeatherlinkIP for 223 bucks, that is down from two sixty something I believe it was recently.  When it falls below 200, I'm going to place an order.  My main desire for this thing is for it to be able to upload to WU, using their "Rapid Fire" updates.  Are you new IP owners satisfied in that regard?

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
My main desire for this thing is for it to be able to upload to WU, using their "Rapid Fire" updates.
At this time the Davis unit only publishes to weatherlink.com.  I have talked to Davis and they do plan on adding the capability to send to other services, including WU and weatherforyou.com.
Joe Torsitano

Offline marinerjoe

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
Did Davis give any indication as to when they were going to be providing the WU update capability?  I do know they're working on the weatherlink.com page as they have recently added the "map" function.

As one of the Weatherlink IP users, I look forward to their making RAPID progress in their development efforts.  Right now, I continue to run my notebook with Weatherlink to push my data into WU (and CWOP since I have to run the notebook anyway).

Joe

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
Did Davis give any indication as to when they were going to be providing the WU update capability?
I haven't been following the WU addition, just pushing for the weatherforyou.com addition (for obvious reasons).  :lol:  We have a new PWS presentation page coming out in a few weeks and it would be great if Davis could get the weatherforyou.com support in before then.
Joe Torsitano

Offline glorfindeal

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I just noticed Ambientweather.com is selling the WeatherlinkIP for 223 bucks, that is down from two sixty something I believe it was recently.  When it falls below 200, I'm going to place an order.  My main desire for this thing is for it to be able to upload to WU, using their "Rapid Fire" updates.  Are you new IP owners satisfied in that regard?

I got it because I have a lap top that is with me most of the time, so I needed a way to post to the internet without the use of a computer.  Weatherlink IP met my needs perfectly.

Glor

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »
What I'm gathering is that Glor is able to post to the internet through the Davis servers, but marinerjoe says he needs to run his copy of weatherlink to push the data to WU, Weatherforyou, or other popular PWS sites.  Therefore, despite being an IP product potentially capable of uploading data without use of a computer, it is still not capable of uploading to certain third party PWS sites at this time, particularly the ones I am interested in.  Is that correct?  Glor, are you using the Davis weatherlink server to upload to any of the 3rd party sites I mentioned (if this is at all possible) or do you just use a link to the Davis site?
Kris (Sigdigit)

Offline marinerjoe

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »
Kris, to clarify my earlier post, my Weatherlink IP will only transmit directly to the weatherlink.com site.  From there, it is user selectable to push data (on a 10 minute schedule I belive) to CWOP and (interval unknown as I don't have an account) to GLOBE.  Unfortunately the data that's pushed to CWOP is incomplete, i.e. there is no wind gust data, and the only rain data is the rain since midnight. 

To transmit the full CWOP data, it requires the WL software running on a local machine.  That same software is required to push the data elsewhere.

Joe

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks Joe -
Now my disappointment is complete!  Davis MUST know that the majority of their customers upload to 3rd party PWS sites and want realtime (or as close to as possible) updates with ALL measurable parameters included.  Then they release Weatherlink IP that supposedly elimates the need for a computer onsite; "Fantastic", I thought.  So far though, it seems their new product is half-assed, being that it is not doing what the customers want it to do!  The second possible solution would be getting that HauteSpot thing, but it would be cost prohibitive for me (HauteSpot = 500 bucks, serial weatherlink datalogger = 148 bucks;need both to operate).  If anyone has any experience with the HauteSpot, ie, does it upload all sensor information to any 3rd party PWS site, please respond.  Maybe the price will eventually go down. If not, would you weatherlinkIP owners please let me know when Davis gets their act together?  Thanks!

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
If anyone has any experience with the HauteSpot, ie, does it upload all sensor information to any 3rd party PWS site, please respond.
Yes... weatherforyou.com/HAMweather, CWOP, WU and WB.
Joe Torsitano

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
That seems expensive. I'm pretty confident you will see other cheaper options become available. However, all will require you have one of Davis' data loggers. I think waiting will pay off.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »
It's never been a Davis priority to accommodate 3rd party software sites. Their only interest is Weatherlink. They begrudgingly recently added support for CWOP and Wunderground but that's it.
You would think with the popularity of their weather stations they would be more supportive of this. Hell, Weatherlink, except for a few changes is the basically the same as when I started using it in 2003.
I'm not  complaining because the product works but they really do need to do a huge upgrade on Weatherlink.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
They begrudgingly recently added support for CWOP and Wunderground but that's it.
Are you saying they DO have support for WU in WeatherlinkIP now?  CWOP was always in there.  They told me, on the phone and in an e-mail, support for weatherforyou.com would be added at the same time.    :mad:

May be time for a trip to Hayward to find out why they keep telling me one thing and doing something else.  This is NOT the first time they've said they'd work with us.
Joe Torsitano