Author Topic: New VP2 Installed  (Read 5375 times)

Offline AridZona

New VP2 Installed
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Here's a picture of my weather station (Davis 6153), which I put into service as of yesterday:

As you can see, I mounted it on a cedar mailbox post.  The ISS is 5' AGL, over what is basically natural terrain for the desert here (no grass within probably 20 miles!).  I raked the small stones away from the ground underneath to try to minimize the radiant heat from them - if the "berm" around it ends up interfering with drainage, I'll remove it.

The anemometer is mounted at 15' AGL.  I know, not optimal height, but it's sited in a large, flat open area on the property and is a compromise for height/accuracy vs. ease of access if/when needed.  The mast is 1 3/8" chain link top rail - a 10-foot section with another 5-foot section swaged and bolted atop it and capped by a PVC cap to avoid water inside it.  I ran the anemometer cable through the mast and sealed the entry/exit points with silicone caulk.  It looks clean and protects the cable from the elements, as well as avoiding the use of cable ties which fall victim to the blistering Arizona sun pretty quickly.  You can see the entry point of the cable from the anemometer in the photo below:

The mast actually started with two 10' sections of top rail, but a quick test had me thinking that 20' would be too flexible unless I used guy wires.  I cut it down to 15' and will try that - if it's too flimsy I'll consider my options.  It's clamped to the mailbox post with 4 conduit clamps spaced evenly from the ground to the top of the post.  It'll be interesting to see how it holds up in the occasional strong winds we get here during thunderstorms, as well as the seemingly ceaseless spring winds.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.  It's my first "real" weather station and I did a lot of research on siting before installing it, trying to obtain the best possible accuracy considering the native terrain and inherent compromises.

Mac
Davis 6153 VP2 w/FARS | LWC 2.10

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
Re: New VP2 Installed
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
Good job... looks great.  :-)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:10 AM »
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.  It's my first "real" weather station and I did a lot of research on siting before installing it, trying to obtain the best possible accuracy considering the native terrain and inherent compromises.

That looks like a winner to me!   =D>

I hope you're happy with it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
Nice looking installation.

No Grass??? WOW, that would save me about 3 1/2 hours a week.  :lol:
Tony

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:18 AM »
Now there's a picture showing how it should be done! =D>  Great job.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
Wouldn't raking the desert pavement (the gravel) away create an "unnatural" condition under the ISS?  

For my set up, I placed my ISS in a tight opening between native bushes and large boulders.  The ISS actually hangs over some brush limbs that have to be periodically trimmed back.  The ISS placement was intended to be typical of the natural conditions existing to the west of it.

Your mounting set up looks first class.  If the ISS is well away from any significant wind obstructions, you could mathematically correct your wind speeds to be equivalent to a 10 meter mount fairly easily.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
Absolutely FIRST RATE install ! Love it.

Now get a real nice camera pointed at that mountain range behind the ISS and your "Golden"  \:D/
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline AridZona

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I spent a lot of time reading the CWOP siting guide (as well as plenty of threads here and other siting reference material), so I was really trying to get it sited as best I could.  I left my old TWC/LaCrosse station up and its siting is far less than optimal, so it will be interesting to compare the data points from the two stations.  The one I'm most interested in is temperature - the LaCrosse temp/humidity sensor only has the small plastic rain shield over it (no radiation shield) and I've seen some pretty anomalous temp readings when it's exposed to direct afternoon sunlight.  It will be very interesting to see how the Davis with the FARS compares to it!

Wouldn't raking the desert pavement (the gravel) away create an "unnatural" condition under the ISS?
It does as far as the immediate surrounding area, but the ground coverage varies considerably in the desert around us. Some of it is desert pavement, some is bare dirt/sand, some sand washes mixed in there, etc.

...If the ISS is well away from any significant wind obstructions, you could mathematically correct your wind speeds to be equivalent to a 10 meter mount fairly easily.
It's about 150 yards NNW of our house (single story) and somewhere around 250-300 yards NE of our neighbor's house - no other significant wind obstructions anywhere near it.

Quote from: Strgazr27
...Now get a real nice camera pointed at that mountain range behind the ISS and your "Golden"
That's something I'll definitely look into at some point!

Mac

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Good job!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
...If the ISS is well away from any significant wind obstructions, you could mathematically correct your wind speeds to be equivalent to a 10 meter mount fairly easily.
It's about 150 yards NNW of our house (single story) and somewhere around 250-300 yards NE of our neighbor's house - no other significant wind obstructions anywhere near it.

Those would be excellent fetch conditions for a reliable wind correction factor.  I've been testing and posting the results of various wind corrections on my website for the past year.  The page link is the "3m Wind to 10m" link at the bottom of the left frame.  My neighbor has his VP2 anemometer mounted at about 10m and I compare my 10m "corrected" wind speeds to his.  In my situation, the western fetch is most open for several hundred yards, but the eastern fetch has trees and single story houses 50 to 200 feet away.  So the wind correction factor is complicated by those obstructions.  At least all significant storms come in from the unobstructed south and west.

I'll second Strgazr27's suggestion of a good camera on the mountains.  You would want one with telephoto capabilities.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:28:11 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
I see its the new wind speed/direction sensor, with the weight on the end of the wind direction pointer :)
Really like the install , well done!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I spent a lot of time reading the CWOP siting guide (as well as plenty of threads here and other siting reference material), so I was really trying to get it sited as best I could.  I left my old TWC/LaCrosse station up and its siting is far less than optimal, so it will be interesting to compare the data points from the two stations.  The one I'm most interested in is temperature - the LaCrosse temp/humidity sensor only has the small plastic rain shield over it (no radiation shield) and I've seen some pretty anomalous temp readings when it's exposed to direct afternoon sunlight.  It will be very interesting to see how the Davis with the FARS compares to it!

It does as far as the immediate surrounding area, but the ground coverage varies considerably in the desert around us. Some of it is desert pavement, some is bare dirt/sand, some sand washes mixed in there, etc.

Quote from: Strgazr27
...Now get a real nice camera pointed at that mountain range behind the ISS and your "Golden"
That's something I'll definitely look into at some point!

Excellent job with the installation! Great site location. I did a similar setup with one LaCrosse setup per factory directions (under the eave, north side of the house, stock supplied shield, etc.) and another LaCrosse close to CWOP's guidelines as I can get it with FARS. I run daily charts/graphs from both and you can definitely can see the effects of the house with readings from the first station.

Offline AridZona

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »
...Those would be excellent fetch conditions for a reliable wind correction factor.  I've been testing and posting the results of various wind corrections on my website for the past year.  The page link is the "3m Wind to 10m" link at the bottom of the left frame...
Thanks for the link to your study, Dave.  Definitely something I want to read up on and see if the corrections are feasible for my station.

Quote from: DanS
...I did a similar setup with one LaCrosse setup per factory directions (under the eave, north side of the house, stock supplied shield, etc.) and another LaCrosse close to CWOP's guidelines as I can get it with FARS. I run daily charts/graphs from both and you can definitely can see the effects of the house with readings from the first station.
I haven't noticed a big difference between the max temps on the two units the past couple days because we've been under heavy cloud cover with minimal insolation.  Today was our first sunny day since I've had the Davis up and running, and the difference is obvious...the LaCrosse recorded a max temperature of 98.8 F, while the VP2 w/FARS logged a max of 89.9F (which is much more in line with other local stations and what it really felt like).  The LaCrosse T/H sensor is sited under a shallow eave on the north side of a building, but is exposed to direct sunlight in the afternoon hours.  I've always figured that the temps were around 8-10 degrees high at those times, and this pretty well confirms it.  Any other time, the temp/hum and pressure readings are fairly consistent between the two stations (right now the temp is within 0.2 degrees, humidity within 1%, barometric pressure within 0.02 in./HG).

Mac

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
Wow that is a nice installation!  Can I borrow some of your acreage?  My back yard is only about 30'x40' with a six foot cinder block wall and I've kept the anemometer height down to ward off the eye of Sauron... er I mean the HOA ;)  A bit more room would make a better station install possible.

And I'll increase the vote count for a webcam :)
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline AridZona

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »
Wow that is a nice installation!  Can I borrow some of your acreage?  My back yard is only about 30'x40' with a six foot cinder block wall and I've kept the anemometer height down to ward off the eye of Sauron... er I mean the HOA ;)  A bit more room would make a better station install possible....
I feel your pain, Kevin...I've always lived in tract homes and had to deal with HOAs until we moved out here a couple years ago.  It certainly is a refreshing change to have some room around us and not have to ask "mother may I?" of the HOA anytime we want to do something on our own property!

Mac