Author Topic: LaCrosse Weather Instruments  (Read 3758 times)

Offline gunny17

LaCrosse Weather Instruments
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
Do not buy LaCrosse weather instruments. Their customer service is terrible!

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Re: LaCrosse Weather Instruments
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
OK...I'll bite, what specifically about their customer service are you upset about?
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline gunny17

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
They put you on hold when you call and eventually you are forced to leave a message for a return call from a rep when they don't answer your call (before the call is disconnected).  You don't receive this call within a few hours but 16 to 18 hours later!  If you miss this call they then leave a message to call back during their hours and they will assist you.  If you call back your are again put on hold and eventually forced to leave a message without getting a chance to speak to a person!  So how are they going to help you if they don't ever answer their phones??  I wasted three days trying to contact them by phone and finally gave up!  I now call the Tech Support or Customer Service Dept. of the perspective replacement of the LaCrosse station I am looking at to see if they answer their phones and are more responsive to their customers.  Some of their distributors have told me that they have also heard of problems with LaCrosse's customer service.  I would advise all that are looking at purchasing from a company or distributor to do the same first.  This station was given as a gift but I will not purchase any of their equipment, ever!  I having been looking for a replacement and check by calling and emailing the Customer Service/Tech Support Dept. of the replacement station as a test of their Customer Service before purchasing a replacement.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
From the La Crosse website (emphasis added):
We listen to every customer voice mail and read every e-mail. Multiple phone calls and e-mails may delay the response time for everyone.
Support response time may vary with seasonal support demands. We strive to provide timely support. However, response times may be up to 3 to 5 business days during peak support times. E-mail is the recommended contact method for expedited service, which is 2 to 3 times faster than phone support.

Please note that I am not attempting to be adversarial here but their own support site advises at least 3-5 business days for response time and specify email as the preferred method of contact.
Perhaps others in the forum that have had experiences with their customer service will be able to assist.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline gunny17

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
You just proved my point.  Who wants to wait 3-5 business days and still not get your phone call answered?  They are cutting back on personnel in their Customer Service/Tech Dept. and cannot handle effective and timely communications with their customers.  You want to put up with that, then be my guest, but I won't.  You are LETTING them give you poor customer service.  Good luck!  Remember that SERVICE is the key word here.  They don't dictate that, YOU do!  You need to demand better Customer Service or you are a door mat for these idiots!       

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
You just proved my point.  Who wants to wait 3-5 business days and still not get your phone call answered?  They are cutting back on personnel in their Customer Service/Tech Dept. and cannot handle effective and timely communications with their customers.  You want to put up with that, then be my guest, but I won't.  You are LETTING them give you poor customer service.  Good luck!  Remember that SERVICE is the key word here.  They don't dictate that, YOU do!  You need to demand better Customer Service or you are a door mat for these idiots!       
Whoa there gunny...don't shoot the messenger.  I'm just relaying the info from their website.   :-)
Clearly, it's up to you which manufacturer you wish to patronize.

As I said in my previous post, maybe someone else in the forum who uses a LaCrosse station
and has had first hand experience with their support would be willing to share their experience.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Whoa there gunny...don't shoot the messenger.  I'm just relaying the info from their website.   :-)

As I said in my previous post, maybe someone else in the forum who uses a LaCrosse station
and has had first hand experience with their support would be willing to share their experience.

I agree with Larry - DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER...

First of all Gunny, did you follow their recommended method of contact for service (email) and if so, what was the response time for that? Based on your own words, they did call you back within the time-frame they specify on their website. I used to run a customer support organization and customers who kept calling and/or sending emails over and over again for the same problem actually caused themselves problems because they were too impatient to wait for the normal response to their issue. The multiple calls and requests for service confused the systems and support personnel simply because with a large company there may be numerous support persons trying to handle each of the calls coming in. The result is total confusion and delays in getting back to the customer. Support organizations try to make every customer call a priority but sometimes customers shoot themselves in the foot by having too high of an expectation for the organization. When that happens, everyone loses...

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:29 AM »
 I understand that it can be irritating trying to get a reply from a company even Davis depending on the dept will take a while to reply but for quick answers that's what WXforum is for. At least that's what I think.
Do not buy LaCrosse weather instruments. Their customer service is terrible!

...maybe, but at least their equipment is more accurate than equivalent Oregon Scientific stuff.
Depends on what's accurate. OS misses humidity and UV index on newer sensors. From personal experience wind, temperature, rain, and air pressure are better than Lacrosse. I run their WS1910U-IT along with a Vantage Pro2 and the WMR200 and for wind, temperature, air pressure, and rain seem to agree close with each other. The Lacrosse has better humidity. Another thing about Lacrosse that irritates me is how poorly made the componets are. The anemometers break so easily and I have not had a Lacrosse station last past a year without issues. But we all have personal opinions.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gunny17

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »

I agree with Larry - DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER...

First of all Gunny, did you follow their recommended method of contact for service (email) and if so, what was the response time for that? Based on your own words, they did call you back within the time-frame they specify on their website. I used to run a customer support organization and customers who kept calling and/or sending emails over and over again for the same problem actually caused themselves problems because they were too impatient to wait for the normal response to their issue. The multiple calls and requests for service confused the systems and support personnel simply because with a large company there may be numerous support persons trying to handle each of the calls coming in. The result is total confusion and delays in getting back to the customer. Support organizations try to make every customer call a priority but sometimes customers shoot themselves in the foot by having too high of an expectation for the organization. When that happens, everyone loses...

As I said, if the buyer wants to put up with slow response times from the company, then go ahead and buy their product.  I have called other companies who measure their response time in HOURS not DAYS. I will not buy a LaCrosse product.  New buyers need to be aware of this information before purchasing one of their products.  Call or contact the company BEFORE you buy their product, visit their Customer Support/ Tech Support page to see what their stated response times are and then decide for yourself.

Offline gunny17

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
My final post.
Business Day 7 - I finally heard from LaCrosse Tech Support at 10:30am.  No email answer for day 3.  I told them in my last voice mail that I wouldn't be available business days till 4pm to 6pm but they called me at 10:30PM anyway because obviously they hadn't listened to my last voice mail.  I happened to be off this day during the week.  I told the rep that they have terrible customer service and that I am going to junk their product.  I told her I would replace it after I had tested the perspective replacement customer service for their product and thanked her for the call then told her goodbye.  Both Davis, Ambient Weather and Oregon Scientific answered my phone calls this week without any delay.  Decide for yourselves...if you buy LaCrosse you better hope you never need Customer Service or Tech Support.  My money will be on Davis when I can afford one of their stations.  I really doubt whether LaCrosse management has the sense to ever improve their customer service.