Author Topic: Logging data on Mac  (Read 3606 times)

Offline inflatus

• Facebook
Logging data on Mac
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
I have been looking at buying either the Vantage Vue or the Pro 2. I have a Mac and want to upload the weather data to Weather Underground and possibly others. How is the information transferred from the console to the Mac? I see that there is a data logger that Davis sells, but under the Mac version it shows limited capabilities. So if I wanted to gather more data, like soil and leaf wetness it would not send it.

Are there other data sending options with the Davis products or should I look elsewhere for a station? Thanks.
---------------------
"He who knows does not speak.
He who speaks does not know."

Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

---------------------

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Logging data on Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
Interesting.

"Unlike the Windows versions, the Mac version does not log data from leaf wetness, soil moisture, UV or solar radiation sensors. It also does not include Citizen Weather Observer Program or GLOBE Program capabilities, and may not be used with E-Mail/Phone Alert or Agricultural/Turf Management Modules."

I know people get confused as to what Weatherlink is, software or a data logger or both.  But it appears Davis is adding to the confusion.

Is the Weatherlink for MAC OSX actually a different logger than the USB one for windows, or is it the same logger bundled with a MAC CD and software?

To me it sounds like that have not built all those features into the software, I would guess the logger is identical, so the statement isnt 100% accurate.

I would pose that question directly to Davis, and I would also ask on the weather-watch forum if Weather Display for MAC would process the extra data you might be looking for... you probably still need the weatherlink software to get the proper mac usb drivers to vantage, but let WD do all the work.  I run mine on a PC, but I have only used the actual Weatherlink software twice, the day I got the station, and once when I was having communication issues with an extra sensor.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline inflatus

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
I was wondering about the logger being the same and the only difference is the software. I was looking at Weather Snoop for my software. It would be awesome if I could just use a USB cable, but it will probably be some proprietary connection to the console and then USB on the other end. I hope the support for soil and leaf wetness lies in software itself. Then that would be great.

I did send an email to Davis. No response yet, but they have been pretty quick responding in the past. I will post what I find out.
---------------------

---------------------

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
If definitely not just a cable.   Most would say you are buying the logger and getting free software (weatherlink).  There is a thread on building your own cable (a non logging one)....

No experience with Weather Snoop...

Andrew

I was wondering about the logger being the same and the only difference is the software. I was looking at Weather Snoop for my software. It would be awesome if I could just use a USB cable, but it will probably be some proprietary connection to the console and then USB on the other end. I hope the support for soil and leaf wetness lies in software itself. Then that would be great.

I did send an email to Davis. No response yet, but they have been pretty quick responding in the past. I will post what I find out.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline inflatus

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
Received my answer from Davis.

"Yes, our Mac version software is limited in capabilities.  Unfortunately, we do not offer a solution on logging the agricultural sensors as well as uploading to Weather Underground with a Mac."

Yeah! (sarcasm)

I guess that this means that the software is where the deficiencies lie and the data logger is only the conduit. So i can assume that if I get some third party software that "supports" the Davis products then their software can be removed from the process.
---------------------

---------------------

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
Give weather display a try.  Post your question there.  Hopefully some mac user has had experience and/or success with the agri sensors.
Andrew

Offline inflatus

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
Give weather display a try.  Post your question there.  Hopefully some mac user has had experience and/or success with the agri sensors.
Andrew

Thanks. That worked. I posted this and it was confirmed.

So it seems that once I get the ISS and the Vantage Vue or Pro; the Weather Watch or any other app will give me any information that the ISS has connected.

Sweet!
---------------------

---------------------

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
Let me know how it works out for you.  I gave up about a year ago and purchased a $75 used PC to do my data logging on.  Davis makes a fine station, but their Mac software and support is horrible.  I had nothing but problems trying to run their stuff on my Macs.  I didn't have much better luck with the 3rd party stuff. 

You would think with the potential of tapping into the IOS market (iPhone, iPad), Davis would invest in writing better stuff for the Mac.  I think the place is staffed with a bunch of old fuddie-duddies unable to let go of the past and unwilling to accept the future.  Just my 2 cents worth...
 ](*,)
Hello from Coddle Creek, NC

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I have been looking at buying either the Vantage Vue or the Pro 2. I have a Mac and want to upload the weather data to Weather Underground and possibly others. How is the information transferred from the console to the Mac? I see that there is a data logger that Davis sells, but under the Mac version it shows limited capabilities. So if I wanted to gather more data, like soil and leaf wetness it would not send it.

Are there other data sending options with the Davis products or should I look elsewhere for a station? Thanks.
I don't know much about Mac but I do recall several websites the specialize in Mac apps that make Weather station software.
http://www.wviewweather.com/ Not shure about leaf and soil sensors, but it does have support for solar and UV sensors. You may still need the WL data unit for 160$

Also, Your looking to get the solar, UV, leaf, and soil sensors the Vue isn't going to do you any good. The Vue isn't compatible with these sensor options. Not even additional temperature and humidity. So as your looking to adding these sensor options, the Pro2's the answer.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline moto51

• Jubilee Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
Other alternative is to use VMWare Fusion or Parallels to run windows, another guy in my area runs weather display through VMWare Fusion pretty well. Personally despite having a house full of macs, i've not attempted to run it on a mac, but have considered it.