Author Topic: Spreadsheet programs available?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline jcutts

Spreadsheet programs available?
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
Are there any pre defined spreadsheet style programs available that would import cvs values. I am looking for a program that has all the formulas done for max/min, graphs, monthly highs and lows, etc.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Re: Spreadsheet programs available?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »
The VWS data files are in .csv format.  I have been grabbing them for some time and dumping them into a PowerPivot table.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline jcutts

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
Are any excel templates available anywhere, I don't want to design a spreadsheet from scratch. I am more interested in importing cvs data into a spreadsheet that is already formatted to give me averages, highs/ lows etc.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
I am not aware of any..... Although I am sure some folks here have designed some nice stuff.  Maybe somebody will share.  I am importing the dbase.csv file periodically into a rolling Excel PowerPivot table.  Mine is all home grown and has a very crude user interface.... because I am the only one using it.... and I am pretty crude... #-o  I use it for ad hoc queries.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Weather Display also makes a CVS file. Mostly for data backups in case of a computer problem.

Don't have Excel on my computer so I can't help you there. I do know Google Drive has something like that but I can't remember the name of the program.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:59:17 AM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
If you Google Excel weather spreadsheets you will find all sorts of them.  The problem is that each is very specific in terms of inputs/outputs.  Part of the beauty of Excel.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jcutts

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
Thanks, what I am trying to do is take data that uploaded to wunderground using a ambient weather ws-1000 wifi into a weather program such as cumulus, weather display etc as an imported data file. I don't know if this is possible or not so I am looking into spreadsheets as well. I want to compile daily, monthly data etc and use it as historical data. I am hoping to go back with Davis but I am waiting to see if they have a newer VP unit in the future. I have a WM II running but no data logger, all data is done by hand twice a day into a daily weather log, as I have been doing for the last twenty one years. Someday I will get back to the 21st century!