Author Topic: WU Forecast  (Read 763 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
WU Forecast
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »
Check out the following forecast for my area from WU. Of course they get the forecast from the NWS but look at the precipitation chances.

Monday 60% Precip.

Mostly sunny in the morning...then partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon.
Monday Night 60% Precip.

Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then mostly clear with slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. 
Tuesday 09/02 90 | 72 °F
Tuesday 50% Precip.

Mostly sunny in the morning...then partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. Light winds becoming east 5 mph in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night 10% Precip.

Partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 mph.

They consistently do this all the time. They show a percent chance for the day but in the description it's another value. Not that big a deal but I find it odd it's always different. Is anyone else's forecast like this. 

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
Re: WU Forecast
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Yep I've been noticing this for a long time now. Both online and the Android app. Like you said not a big deal, but there's certainly something wrong.  I've also noticed a difference with precipitation chances between online and Android app for the same forecast period.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:15:58 PM by dj1111s »
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
I notice this to. For once I trust the BestForecast for the 10 Day rather than the NWS. Although sometimes I check the NBC5 app.

Also I think the forecast might base precipitation on the GFS model which has been going up and down like a yoyo.

In the attached images which came out in sequence showing 384hr totals you can see how one model varies from another. A friend of mine is studying meteorology at Oklahoma State University and she says GFS is a big player in precipitation forecasts.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Skywatch if you have an Android phone there is a neat app called Weatherbomb which uses the GFS.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enzuredigital.weatherbomb&hl=en

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
Awesome! Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything