Author Topic: Ventus 266 Weather Station  (Read 2422 times)

Offline StuartR

Ventus 266 Weather Station
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
Anyone know if there will be a version of this station with PC connectivity at some point? Reckon it would sell well to those who can't afford Davis kit (like me :-)).

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Ventus 266 Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Nothing about a PC connection (unless I missed it!).... I was just hoping someone might know if there was a version coming that had PC connectivity (or MAC / Linux if that's your bag). At the price I might still consider getting one though, as I feel lost without any system running at home now that I've junked my OS WMR180. Doesn't feel right using WU and relying on someone else's data :-)

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
I don't know that much about the Ventus 266 but I feel like from this thread:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=23472.0

Could be a starting point considering I'd think you could easily get an RF unit to receive the signals and have that connect to your computer if you wanted to go that route. The problem then would be reading the data in whatever format that Ventus uses to transmit from the station to the console that reads it currently.

A possible route not from the link above but you could purchase a Digi Xbee unit to receive the data and hook that up to whatever flavor of operating system you prefer. At the very least an idea if you really want to get back to getting data from your own station.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I read through the manual and there are some things that stick out:

"Open the battery door of the transmitter and insert 4 pieces of AA batteries according to the battery polarity"

Double A batteries in the outside unit ? So that means having it sited so you can take it down to change batteries on a regular basis...even in the dead of winter. How long will those batteries last in low temps ?

"While the main unit is in searching mode, Go to the transmitter and keep the wind vane pointing at North.......NOTE: After battery replacement or power reset on either of the transmitter or main unit, recalibration & registration are needed."

So you change the batteries in the receiving unit and you have recalibrate it all over again ? Sounds like a lot of hassle. This unit will probably have to be sited so you can walk up to it so you can keep it running.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
No PC connectivity and Ventus are not particularly forthcoming with any news on a PC connectivity version, although they have other models in their range that have this already - pretty much like Davis and a Vantage Pro3 all very secretive.

The batteries are anticipated to last well over a year as the unit updates the console every 20 seconds with readings. The recalibration you mention is point the vane North once the new batteries are in and press and hold the button under the unit to set North. Most manufacturers recommend that a unit has some annual maintenance such as removing spider webs from the anemometer and cleaning sensors so would also be an ideal opportunity for a battery change.

As with most all in one sensor units most people mount them either lower for accurate temperature and rainfall or higher for wind accuracy - there is normally a compromise to be had.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
I just noticed that if you change batteries in the console you have to recalibrate. Something you don't have to do with the Davis units. Also you have to have it in easy reach to change the batteries on a yearly basis....the Davis goes 5 years. Just sounded like there were a lot of compromises.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
True Gareth, there are some compromises to be had, but at a third of the price of the starting Davis Vantage Vue some people are happy with these.

With regard to the console, it's powered by a mains adapter with the batteries as a backup if power fails (like a Davis). So as long as the console is powered by the mains when changing the 3 AAs in it there is no need to recalibrate/setup the console or clamber up to the sensor unit and pair them again :)
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.