Author Topic: Barometric pressure spike as storm hits, why?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Barometric pressure spike as storm hits, why?
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:29:41 AM »
Last spring I finally got a Davis VP2 installed on the roof of the high school.  I awaited the first thunderstorm with great anticipation!  Reviewing the data collected by our station after the first storm, one curious thing I noticed was the change in barometric pressure.  The bp dropped in the hours before the storm as I expected.  However, just as the storm hit I saw a distinct spike of increased bp, which quickly dropped again the next time the data was updated.  This pattern has repeated with each thunderstorm this year.  I am I science teacher, and I have my hypotheses, but I wanted to see what others think caused this phenomenon.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Barometric pressure spike as storm hits, why?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
Dunno, but I'd guess first gust, mass air downflow.

How much of a spike occurs?  How long does it last?  Was there a wind gust recorded at the time, too?

Is there some air intake of the HVAC system might be acting like funnel and mini-pressurizing the otherwise tight building when the storm passes with wind direction changes?

I have been in a big metal building that the doors, if not latched, would blow open when a first gust would hit, or the large industrial sized fans kick on.

Just thoughts.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
I have noticed the same thing with approaching storms specially thunder storms. I think there is some sort of pressure way that proceeds the actual storm.   It usually shows for less than an hour.

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
It's caused by a Mesohigh.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
I'm so glad I joined this forum!  From Wikipedia:

Mesohigh
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A mesohigh (sometimes called a "bubble high")[1] is a mesoscale high-pressure area that forms beneath thunderstorms. While not always the case, it is usually associated with a mesoscale convective system.[2] In the early stages of research on the subject, the mesohigh was often referred to as a "thunderstorm high".[3]

Formation[edit]
A mesohigh forms underneath the downdraft in a squall line and is associated with the cold pool of a thunderstorm. It is largely formed by hydrostatic phenomenon, specifically the evaporation of falling precipitation.[4] As precipitation, primarily rain, falls in the downdraft, it evaporates in the unsaturated air, leading to cooling in the downdraft due to an absorption of latent heat. The cooling of the air leads to an increase in the pressure as the air becomes denser.[5] While not the primary mechanism behind the mesohigh, melting or sensible cooling of hail can also lead to increased pressure in the mesohigh.[6]

An additional source of increased pressure is hydrometeor loading, the weight of precipitation increasing the speed of the downdraft, leading to increased pressure as the air converges at the surface.[7] While hydrometeor loading is not a main contributor of increased pressure to the mesohigh, and it is a non-hydrostatic process, it can increase the pressure as much as 2 mb.[8]

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
I've seen this many times, too.  As a matter of fact, I saw it again just a few minutes ago.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA