Author Topic: distorted AREA data satellite imagery using NOAA Weather & Climate Toolkit softw  (Read 984 times)

Offline astro4565

I hope someone can help me.  I'm working on a project creating  a one to two minute AVI using AREA satellite data from the NOAA, mainly bands 1 (visible satellite) and bands 4 (IR) from Goes 13.  It was hoped that I'd be able to load the two days worth of data into the WCT software, zoom into the area I wanted, and then create an uncompressed AVI from the data.  The task is able to be completed successfully with one exception:  I seem to be getting some sort of image distortion when viewing images within the software.  I can best describe it as like clipping a histogram's extreme highlights and lows, giving an image both a blown out and slightly distorted appearance.   This also causes the images to appear more blocky than they would be normally.  I know it has something to do with the software because if I download and view the same area as a GIF file, none of the clipping is present and when enlarged to the same size there is far less blockiness.  I could use the GIFs to create the AVI, but it would mean a lot more work using different software, so I had hoped to stick with WCT.  Can anyone advise settings I may be overlooking that may improve image appearance within the software?  The only settings I see for the satellite AREA data is a "grid filter" under the data filter section, but none of the adjustments made here help image appearance.  Any help here would be appreciated.  I really think it has to do with how the AREA data is imported because whether or not transparency is adjusted or additional layers doesn't change the original image appearance. If the image can't be adjusted to satisfaction, what other free software for AREA data might do the job?  Thanks in advance for any help.         

anything