Author Topic: advice needed for municipal weather station/software  (Read 5621 times)

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
advice needed for municipal weather station/software
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
Hi all: I need the benefit of everyone's experience with this please.  The public works department of the Town of Grimsby (where I grew up) has asked me for advice on purchasing a weather station and software.
I told them what I know about using my weather station and software, and they were impressed :shock:
These are their requirements:
A system that will require minimal hands on maintenance (set it and forget it would be best).
A system that will store every reading that comes off of the system into a database such as Mysql or MS SQL.
The ability to retrieve that information and view any previous day down to the minute.

What would be your recommendations?

Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: advice needed for municipal weather station/software
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
For Professional weather stations here is a link this stuff has no prices I could find so it probably better quality then a personal weather station:

http://www.coastalenvironmental.com/content/aboutcoastal.html

A system that will require minimal hands on maintenance (set it and forget it would be best).  This is probably a deal breaker for any weather station at least as far as personal weather station go.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:29:46 PM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »
Did they give any clue as far as budget for the project?

When they see how high prices can go they might decide a little more hands on with help from the city's IT and electrical departments on a Davis Station would be ok. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
When they see how high prices

When did any government worry about price?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
"When did any government worry about price?"

Somewhere around July - September 2008!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:22 PM »
When they see how high prices

When did any government worry about price?

True but we are talking on a local level here rather then federal.  Not that they have anymore sense, just the noose tightens a little quicker during bad times.   :lol:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:24:57 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »
remember we are in Canada, we did not even have a hint of recession till the US credit crunch, and the media started using the R word every second sentence...  the old self-fulfilling prophecy up here....

Andrew

"When did any government worry about price?"

Somewhere around July - September 2008!

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Hi, Anne-Marie!

I don't know about the software end of things,but my venerable 15-Year-Old Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 is still running quite nicely. The folks at TWI have provided me with GREAT tech support (and repairs the two times that lightning/surges took out the COM chip).

They offer a whole line of Stations, including more "professional" ones that most of the TV weather folks down here seem to be using. My only concern about this recommnendation is - you ARE in Canada, and I hear that you folks get a BIT more snow & ice than we do down here in Houston  :-P. However, TWI is in Dallas (sort of the "Canada" of Texas  8-) ) and they get a fair number of snow/ice storms each year up there, so perhaps they have a solution that would work for you. Contact Dave Patterson there. Their website is at http://www.txwx.com/.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with them at all - I am just one of their oldest customers.

Best of luck -

Steve

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I'll forward the links to the IT contact. I'm still concerned about these two statements:

A system that will store every reading that comes off of the system into a database such as Mysql or MS SQL.
The ability to retrieve that information and view any previous day down to the minute.

Any ideas?
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
Ann-Marie, I know that several provincial gov'ts use R.M. Young weather instruments and they are used extensivelty in  the oil patch as well (they have intrinsically safe instruments).  http://www.youngusa.com/

As to the database question, I don't think there are any applications that use such technology, or are commerically available.  This guy did a bang-up job with MySql:  www.wx.ca
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
Just my 2 cents...a Davis VPro 2, VWS, Weather Flash, and VWSql for MySQL Database. The Davis has the highest quality, VWS for recording and displaying weather data, Weather Flash to present a really nice web page and the VWSql provides the database capability with a webpage front end that allows people to look up weather data on their own. As for no-maintenance...welll there is always some on things left outside in the weather. Remember .... plug and play usually doesn't.... ](*,)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »
Forgot that you will need the VWphp module which is free to display the data from the MySql database.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
there are also other weather software that offers mysql updating as well that could be worth checking out
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

anything