Author Topic: Ambient 1400 or Acurite 5-1 Environment Station w/Internet bridge  (Read 3613 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
I am considering a second weather station to use as for comparison and backup to my Rainwise Mk III.  A Davis would be my first choice, but having just spent four figures on the Rainwise and IP-100, the WTF (Wife Tolerance Factor, get your mind out the gutter) has been reached.  So that leaves us with lower cost alternatives.  Both the Ambient and Acurite can be had for less than just the Davis Weatherlink IP and both seem to have their proponents.  What say ye?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Ambient 1400 or Acurite 5-1 Environment Station w/Internet bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
I have no experience with ambient.   

I have an acurite bridge and a Davis vp2.   The acurite tracks very close to the davis  except for wind. They are located about a mile apart.

The WU data for both are in my sig.

I think the acurite with bridge can be had a cosco for less than $100 right now.

I have several post in the acurite forum about this. I can not double task and get the exact post from this machine.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:46 PM »
I have no experience with ambient.   

I have an acurite bridge and a Davis vp2.   The acurite tracks very close to the davis  except for wind. They are located about a mile apart.

The WU data for both are in my sig.

I think the acurite with bridge can be had a cosco for less than $100 right now.

I have several post in the acurite forum about this. I can not double task and get the exact post from this machine.

The Acurite at our Costco uses PC Connect.  I think that means a PC on 24/7.  It is a bargain at $79.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »
If anyone can provide some more insight into these two systems it would be much appreciated. I know the features of both, but any comments on accuracy and build quality? I've read of issues with the acurite in regards to the temp in the sun...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »
If anyone can provide some more insight into these two systems it would be much appreciated. I know the features of both, but any comments on accuracy and build quality? I've read of issues with the acurite in regards to the temp in the sun...

I would suggest trying the Ambient, unless you buy the dual panel top model for the acurite. I would also caution that after about the first 10 months or so, I started noticing higher and higher temps on my acurite as the sun got into the western horizon. This is when I brought out the paint for the bottom section because it was warm to the touch, and that is where the temp sensor is located. If you don't mind painting the housing, the acurite does OK. I think the Ambient does better with wind readings though, judging from a funeral home that is about 30 minutes away from my location where they have the Ambient.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
For those who have been waiting for the Ambient 1001 to be in stock, I was pleased first thing this morning that Ambient sent me an email alerting me that they now have them.  Not so pleased that it's unlikely that they would be delivered by Christmas, or the fact that they have been spamming me just about every hour with another email!

I also don't know if the wifi and console justifies almost doubling the price of the 1400.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the ambient at the moment due to great reviews and opinions from this forum.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
For those who have been waiting for the Ambient 1001 to be in stock, I was pleased first thing this morning that Ambient sent me an email alerting me that they now have them.  Not so pleased that it's unlikely that they would be delivered by Christmas, or the fact that they have been spamming me just about every hour with another email!

I also don't know if the wifi and console justifies almost doubling the price of the 1400.

They have also filled up my inbox with notifications of both the 1001-WIFI and now the 1200-IP being in stock.

From what research I have done I would recommend the Ambient 1400-IP. I am considering getting that one myself as a backup, even though I bought a VP2 that I haven't even received at my door yet...

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
realize this is probably an elementary question, but between the 1001-wifi and 1200-IP, the only difference is how the units connect to the internet?  why would i pay extra for wifi, when the 1200-ip just requires you to plug in an additional component to your router?  Does the same thing as wifi after that, right?

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
One good reason that I just considered for when the difference matters is if you were to take it as a mobile unit.  You won't normally have a router available to plug an ethernet cable to,  but you may have a hotspot or tethering  available.

Or if your router has no additional ports or is not in a good location for connecting to.

Yes,  they both operate the same as soon  as they connect to the router.  There are a few walk-throughs on YouTube.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
I have one port left on my router, so I am wrestling with the question of whether it is worth the extra money for the wireless connection.  You know that if I use the last port for the weather station, I will immediately need it for something else!

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I have one port left on my router, so I am wrestling with the question of whether it is worth the extra money for the wireless connection.  You know that if I use the last port for the weather station, I will immediately need it for something else!
That's probably true!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
Switches are inexpensive...

That's probably true!