Author Topic: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger  (Read 108829 times)

Offline KingJam

Re: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
The logger will also work with Mac, but I don't own one so I'm not well placed for Mac support. But if the mac recognizes the logger then the two main parts are working.

I have not used Cumulus on a Pi, but if is anything like on the pc then the logger appears as a serial port, not a usb device.

I installed a couple Mac weather programs and got it to work with one of them.  The other didn't for some reason.  I will dig into the Cumulus MX issue a little further and see what I can come up with.

Offline james_s

« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2017, 11:40:56 PM »
I realize this thread is a bit old, but are the blank PCBs for this thing still available? The link to OSH Park is dead but if I could get the gerbers I can have some boards made, or a schematic to do my own layout.

Unfortunately the dataflash chip is obsolete, although they still can be found for now. Does anyone know what Davis is using in the current production loggers? Have they gone to a new part or do they have a hoard of the original chips? The firmware in my Vantage Pro2 console is 3.6something, does it still authenticate the flash chip? It's really irritating that they do that, I don't mind paying the premium prices for the equipment because it's quality stuff made here in the USA but I hate being gouged for a feature that comes standard practically every $100 Chinese weather station on the market these days. The Davis approach to exporting the weather data is very 1995.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2017, 02:58:00 AM »
I've sent you a PM

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
Ah. Glad to see that this thread lives.
Three years or so after purchasing my Belfryboy logger it is still going strong.
Thanks Belfryboy
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline KingJam

« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
Mine died recently after 1 year.  I don't suppose there is any warranty. I had to buy a real one.  :sad:

Offline james_s

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
Which part stopped working, the logging or the serial port? There are only two semiconductors on the thing, not a whole lot to go wrong. Flash memory does wear out eventually so that may have happened, especially if the console is writing to it frequently.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2017, 02:17:17 AM »
Mine died recently after 1 year.  I don't suppose there is any warranty. I had to buy a real one.  :sad:
In what way did it die?

Could your PC still "see" the com port? Or did the console stop recognising the logger?

Offline KingJam

« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »
In what way did it die?

Could your PC still "see" the com port? Or did the console stop recognising the logger?

The computer (Raspberry Pi) stopped seeing the USB port or got errors while trying to connect to it.  I tried the logger in 2 different consoles with the same issue. Multiple USB ports were also tried.  It worked perfectly for about 10 months before slowly getting worse and worse.  My new Davis brand logger is working fine I know the issue isn't on the Pi side.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
That sounds like the cable came away from the board. I have changed the design now to give more support to the cable.

Offline KingJam

« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »
That sounds like the cable came away from the board. I have changed the design now to give more support to the cable.

Is there a way to repair it?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

Potentially yes, it would involve removal of the epoxy resin, and then replacing the cable mount. It's not the easiest thing to do, unless you are trained in advanced PCB repair.

Offline KingJam

« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2017, 11:28:07 PM »

Potentially yes, it would involve removal of the epoxy resin, and then replacing the cable mount. It's not the easiest thing to do, unless you are trained in advanced PCB repair.

I think removing the resin will be the hard part. Any tips on how to do that?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »
I usually use heat to break down the epoxy, either a hot air rework tool or a chisel tipped soldering iron. This is done in a fume cabinet as the fumes generated are toxic. It also renders the soldering tip unusable. The epoxy is broken down in small swathes, and then carefully scrapped back, and repeated until the desired area is cleared. The solder pads are then carefully cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and inspected for solderability.

At work I would expect to take about 2 hours to do this properly.

Offline TCIII

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
Hi Belfryboy,
I have ordered one of your Davis Clone USB loggers from you and have a couple of questions about linking it to my clone Meteobridge TPLink N150 router with the 3G/4G 2.0 USB input. I have installed Meteobridge firmware on the router to make it a WiFi access point and would like to know what port number to use, along with the TPLink N150 access point IP, with your Davis Clone when configuring the TPlink N150 access point with the Meteobridge configuration program?
Regards,
TCIII

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »
Tom,

I think this question would be better off asked in the meteobridge section of the forum, Docbee should be able to provide an answer.

Offline TCIII

« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
Hi Belfryboy,

Thanks for the redirection, will do.
Regards,
TCIII

Offline TheDutchman

« Reply #241 on: January 02, 2020, 05:22:04 AM »
@belfryboy, I hope you still make them dataloggers, just ordered one 3 days ago.
Regards,
Ed

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
@belfryboy, I hope you still make them dataloggers, just ordered one 3 days ago.
Regards,
Ed

And I sent it today...

Offline Onuba

« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2020, 02:55:49 AM »
Hello! On April 2 I bought the dataloguer but I have no news of it. Something wrong?

Thanks and best regards

anything