Author Topic: Cannot figure out what to get....lol  (Read 6079 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Cannot figure out what to get....lol
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:15 AM »
Something not talked about anymore since cheap FARS shields came out, is the option of using full size Stevenson screen and mount sensors inside. I don't think it works as good as the Davis fars, much slower response time so peak highs and lows can be missed, but better than the small passive shield I know for sure isn't accurate plus they are low maintenance. I had one for years but left behind after moving.

Someone has the full size here for sale for $185 plus freight.
Randy

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
Guess I will hold off for now. What bugs me is the failure rates I hear with the fans. If the fans are failing as much as I hear, Davis should come up with a new part for it. Heck, from what I can find the replacement for the fan is about $40. I don't expect it to last forever.

The package arrived to day, hope to have it up tonight and see how the passive shield works.  Go from there.

Thanks again.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
Here is an example from just some of testing I've done. You don't have a FARS to compare with but I do have all Pro2 Davis shields using 3 new SHT31 sensors all matched within (.02)F

Test were done in near ideal location without outside heat influence over short cut grass. My largest error was 4.5° on different day but this is a typical day of what to expect light to moderate breeze. 
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »
let me chime in.  The difference between the FARS and the standard shield is slight.  I think I averaged when I did a comparison was about 3 degrees.  Now tell me this. You are standing in front of the Iowa River and Power Company about 5 pm.  It is July, no clouds, bright sun  and you are waiting for someone.  Will the knowledge of 3 degree make a lot of difference at 87 F and 60% humidity on how you feel.

Hold off on it for now.  Get comfortable with your station.  You can always buy the 24 hr Fars from Scaled Instruments as I did later on.

I  would however consider add on stations such as a temperature station and probe, or a temperature/humidity station. Certainly there has to be some temperature around the house that you are curious about monitoring.

I  monitor the temperature and humidity in the attic, to be sure the power ventilator runs when it should and one in the basement to measure the humidity so i know if I need to venture down and turn on the humidifier.   I suspose I could set one in the freezer, the probe to measure the temperature or in the frig to keep my beer or wine at the right temp.

Go Hawkeyes !!!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
let me chime in.  The difference between the FARS and the standard shield is slight.  I think I averaged when I did a comparison was about 3 degrees.  Now tell me this. You are standing in front of the Iowa River and Power Company about 5 pm.  It is July, no clouds, bright sun  and you are waiting for someone.  Will the knowledge of 3 degree make a lot of difference at 87 F and 60% humidity on how you feel.

Hold off on it for now.  Get comfortable with your station.  You can always buy the 24 hr Fars from Scaled Instruments as I did later on.

I  would however consider add on stations such as a temperature station and probe, or a temperature/humidity station. Certainly there has to be some temperature around the house that you are curious about monitoring.

I  monitor the temperature and humidity in the attic, to be sure the power ventilator runs when it should and one in the basement to measure the humidity so i know if I need to venture down and turn on the humidifier.   I suspose I could set one in the freezer, the probe to measure the temperature or in the frig to keep my beer or wine at the right temp.

Go Hawkeyes !!!!

I have to agree with the 3 degrees sometimes less sometimes a little more.
I just think everyone is a little different so they need to make the call, does it matter or not. For me personally I wouldn't have a weather station knowing it was off that much. But that's me...as long as we inform everyone what to expect and not act like every shield gives the same performance I'm fine with honesty and even the choice of a passive shield.

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »
Will the knowledge of 3 degree make a lot of difference at 87 F and 60% humidity on how you feel.
Get that, but for some, not the point.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
Hot and miserable in Iowa.  It isn't the heat here, it is the heat and humidity that gets you.   Whether you have a Fars that lets you know it is miserable outside or you just are standing at a very good place to eat in Coralville (just outside Iowa City) waiting for someone out in that stuff, it doesn't matter.  it is hot.

Sure there are conditions that a FARS might be worth it, on a farm.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
You know the Mars and Venus saying, well we are from different worlds I see.  But that's 8)
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »
Hot and miserable in Iowa.  It isn't the heat here, it is the heat and humidity that gets you.   Whether you have a Fars that lets you know it is miserable outside or you just are standing at a very good place to eat in Coralville (just outside Iowa City) waiting for someone out in that stuff, it doesn't matter.  it is hot.

Never mind.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »

Never mind.
  I have the 24 hr Fars  and it is nice out there.  Probably I need to start collecting data and put another station out near the fars, but away from the fan to measure temperature difference.  Ahhhh  A Project

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »

Never mind.
  I have the 24 hr Fars  and it is nice out there.  Probably I need to start collecting data and put another station out near the fars, but away from the fan to measure temperature difference.  Ahhhh  A Project
Please do. No such thing as too much good data even though Randy has pretty much beat this horse to death, with reason, and greatly appreciated. UU

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »

Go Hawkeyes !!!!

Well, that makes sense to me.  I also understand those that want it as accurate as possible.  As I installed it in the yard today I had a few observations. 

In my opinion., it is about impossible to set the wind direction even somewhat accurately.  If it is installed on a pole 15-30FT (30 being the best), I cannot see how it could be much better than off by 5-10 degrees. If it was on a roof or something should be able to get it closer.  Of course, that assumes you can accurately determine where "true" north is (a compass only determines magnetic north, not true north).  Temp is a variation based on the sensor and to get an accurate determination of the temp to calibrate by would be...challenging.

So, I can live with a few degrees.

You might get a laugh off this one. After I got the station up this afternoon I compared my temperatures to those stations in my general area.  I was off by about 3-4 degrees.  There is a nice breeze out, 5-8MPH so that should have kept the heat build up out.  Then I realized....I put the ISS right by my fence..about 6FT high..and sure enough...the the passive shield was below the top of the fence.  Wind was coming that direction.  ](*,).  So shot back out and moved it up a few inches...all was right.  Got to use that GFARS  (Green FARS) to the best advantage!

Now I just have to get the console figured out.  It reminds me of Wordstar for some reason..... :roll:.  Then get the PC setup.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »

Go Hawkeyes !!!!
Of course, that assumes you can accurately determine where "true" north is (a compass only determines magnetic north, not true north).
How many centuries has the North star been used?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »

Go Hawkeyes !!!!
Temp is a variation based on the sensor and to get an accurate determination of the temp to calibrate by would be...challenging.
Not at all.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 09:10:59 PM »

Go Hawkeyes !!!!
Temp is a variation based on the sensor and to get an accurate determination of the temp to calibrate by would be...challenging.
Not at all.

Keeping in mind that I am a novice at this, you have me curious.  How do you calibrate it?

Also, just for the record, that was just my reasoning to convince me it's Ok this way. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »

Go Hawkeyes !!!!
Not at all.

Keeping in mind that I am a novice at this, you have me curious.  How do you calibrate it?

Also, just for the record, that was just my reasoning to convince me it's Ok this way.
If you have a higher end PWS that's properly sited, calibration should not even be necessary, or very limited.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 11:29:25 PM »
Have to say I really, really like the Pro2.  Install was easy.  Given the way I did it, this was much easier than the unit I had before and much easier than and all in one unit.

Wish the ISS bracket was a bit better designed.  That was a annoying to get on, not bad, but just could have been better.

The big thing is the software.  Given the price, pretty  shoddy. After 3 hours of google-foo and digging through stuff still cannot figure out how to get it to update to Underground.  Not a big deal, I just shifted back to Cumulus, which was easy.  It really should not be this hard. I will figure it out at some point. I rather like the data screen but for the time being...Cumulus. I also downloaded Weather Display will give that a try later this week.

One thing that puzzles me...The indoor temp is off...way off..like 5-6 degrees.  This was the same as my last station.  Must be something about the location.

All in all..loving the Davis.  Very nice construction and reporting.  As many of you said...not disappointed. At all.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2016, 12:48:48 AM »

One thing that puzzles me...The indoor temp is off...way off..like 5-6 degrees.  This was the same as my last station.  Must be something about the location.
I presume you leave the back light on.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »

I presume you leave the back light on.

Good suggestion, but it's off.  I have a small indoor Acurite digital right next to it now...after sitting all night the Davis is still 2 degrees higher. The other 4 digital thermometers in the house are all the same.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:57 AM »
The indoor temperature has never worked well. If you have a small fan or ceiling fan moving air it works much better with light off. Most didn't get the station for accurate indoor temperatures but its no excuse for the poor design. We have had people expecting the indoor to work where it was important, can't blame anyone when you spend big dollars you expect things to work.
Randy

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »
The indoor temperature has never worked well. If you have a small fan or ceiling fan moving air it works much better with light off. Most didn't get the station for accurate indoor temperatures but its no excuse for the poor design. We have had people expecting the indoor to work where it was important, can't blame anyone when you spend big dollars you expect things to work.

Thanks! that solves that mystery.  I'll monitor it for a few days then adjust it down. I have not used the light much at all and I have a ceiling fan in the room that runs 24/7. Looks like it is off by ~3 degrees.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
the backlight definitely will mess with the room temperature.

anything