Author Topic: I've settled on the ideal combination of programs for my interests...  (Read 2598 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
I have a Davis VantageVUE station.
I want to easily post my readings on the various web services.
I have no need for a website, nor do I want the expense or hassle of one.
I love the flexibility of easily moving my gauges and graphs around my desktop monitor.

So, here is my ideal combination of programs...

* Davis WeatherLink for logging data a my fall back graphics
* Cumulus for easily posting weather data to various sites including Wunderground, PWS, and Weatherbug (whenever they get around to posting again.)  I am not yet having success in posting to CWOP.  And I love their wind indicators and 3D graphs.
* Virtual Weather Station (basic version) for easily manipulating gauges and graphs on my monitor.
* Virtual VP so I can run more than one program currently.

The software I have chosen not to use includes:

* The up-level versions of VWS.  I have no need for the additional features.  Cumulus and WeatherLink are capable of posting to the internet, I have no interest in creating a weather web page, and spending the extra money for Metars is extravagant on my budget.
* WeatherDisplay.  I bought this 7 years ago and used it for awhile until discovering Cumulus and VWS a month ago.  The combination of these two programs with their ease of use gives me added functionality without the steep learning curve of the super-feature rich capabilities of WeatherDisplay which seem to be oriented to weather observers that are much more "hard core" than I am.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:34:23 PM by gfmucci »

Offline johnschols

• Solarschols
Re: I've settled on the ideal combination of programs for my interests...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
I've just installed a Davis Vantage Pro2.  Ive been told current version of VVP may not work with current weatherlink software.  Can you tell me what version of VVP and weatherlink your usng.  Thanks John
John Schols
solarschols.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »
I believe that an updated version of VVP is no longer available.
There have been inquiries about the developer but to the best of my knowledge nobody has been able to contact him.   
Basically I do half of what your doing.
Use Cumulus to send data to WU, PWS.com etc and use Weatherlink to view the graphs.
What issues are you having with CWOP? Cumulus updates just fine.
Although just recently there was some issues with CWOP but  they are back up and running  as far as I know.   
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
Since VVP was WITHERED (see other posts!) on the vine, your best bet is run it thru  Meteobridge (Port 22222)  to the weather program of choice.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
I've just installed a Davis Vantage Pro2.  Ive been told current version of VVP may not work with current weatherlink software.  Can you tell me what version of VVP and weatherlink your usng.  Thanks John
VVP = 1.2.5.74   WeatherLink = 6.0.3

Still running the 3 programs concurrently on my Windows 10, 12 gig machine.  I solved the CWOP problem several months ago - user error.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:43:44 PM by gfmucci »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »
It's not the fact that VVP won't work with WL it won't communicate with the DataLogger. The firmware could be reset to V1.9 unless it is what is called a Greendot Datalogger. Or you can get one of Belfry Boy's logger and you can use VVP with any mix of software. You could also get a used DL off of eBay. The key is the firmware in the DL. My system is on V1.9 and I run VVPro with Cumulus, Weather Display, WL, WeatherView32, Virtual Weather Station and VPLive. The same computer also runs WeatherCloud and a few other things. There are ways around this if you want to run a variety of software. 

anything