Author Topic: Anemometer Issue  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
Anemometer Issue
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
I purchased a AcuRite Professional Weather Station Model #01010W from Wal-Mart last December as a Christmas present for my Mother. She has enjoyed it greatly, but lately, the wind speed is not accurate. I have watched the leaves blow in the breeze and felt the wind in what little hair I have, but the anemometer does not spin. She lives just up the street from me and I have watched it read 0-5 mph over an hour. Many times the trees are blowing, but it reads 0mph. At the same time I have compared it to my wind speed on my website and my station is reading 10-15 mph. This weekend I took it down to investigate and it feels a little rough. Turning it by hand I get some squeaking noise also. Would WD-40 help, or is it a warranty issue? The box and receipt were trashed with the other Christmas refuse.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Anemometer Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
When the bearings on my old AAG anemometer went bad, I did some on-line researching. There were multiple warnings about not lubricating the bearings because it will hold dust and gum up. I found some bearings that would fit it, but then my vane ADC went bad and I gave up and got the Davis.

I would try for new bearings if they are available. Also, I suppose WD-40 might be compatible with the plastic, but I would check it first in a non-critical area if you decide to apply the lube.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:53 AM »
I would stay away from WD-40 altogether. It is made to break loose rusted or stuck metal fittings and is a temporary lubricant. It won't be there very long and as mentioned lubricants that are exposed will collect and hold dust/dirt from the air seizing the bearing sooner. If you can closely inspect it you may find the anny shaft has some debris rubbing on it.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:44:42 PM »
Yes, it sounds like the bearings may be wearing down prematurely on your sensor- I would suggest calling AcuRite customer support to go over your options. I know that there are bearing kits available from time to time, and in the future we will likely sell them on our website.

The 5-in-1 sensor was designed to be modular- so most components can be replaced easily enough for most folks to do themselves.

AcuRite customer support:
Toll free: (877) 221-1252

Offline Bivman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
My upper bearing went bad a short time after I got my unit. I sprayed a small amount of RadioShack tuner cleaner/lube in under the
plastic hood. Haven't had a problem since.

-Jon

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
I finally got a chance to take it down and open it up about a month a go. It turns out that there was quite a few bugs, spiders and other things in there. After it was cleaned out, I sprayed dry silicone lubricant on the bearings. It was been working quite well since then.