Author Topic: improving the the WS1001 (clones) screen layout  (Read 42349 times)

Offline drsprite

Re: improving the the WS1001 (clones) screen layout
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
lol  :lol:

well, I already started to build my own custom template based on WordPress. It doesn't use clientraw or anything, it's all JSON driven. Guess I'll continue to develop it.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 07:12:15 PM »
lol  :lol:

well, I already started to build my own custom template based on WordPress. It doesn't use clientraw or anything, it's all JSON driven. Guess I'll continue to develop it.

=D>

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
The picture shown looks like a ws1000, as it shows no sunrise,sunset, or moon?

Yet the updated picture of the new display looks really cool and a ws1001.

I just got an Aercus, which is an Ambient clone and looking at the display says about says:

Os version 5.0.4
Firmware revision 2.2.7

So appears totally different to 2.2.5 your mentioning here.

I believe 2.2.2 firmware, I think fixed the sunrise problem that when you where in daylight saving mode fixed the issue of sunrise time being an hour out.

Mine has that issue, when in daylight saving time the sunrise is 1 hour out. Instead of the time being 6:56am, it says, or said 5:56am, so got around this by the time zone setting of +13, instead of New Zealand time of +12? And we are using the frequency of 4.33mhz.

Also we have to recalibrate the wind direction to 180 degrees.

Now mine is working great, but never seen a firmware 2.2.7? So how does this effect having the nice looking new screen, which looks miles better than the factory one.

So what firmware versions did your station have?

After reading the Ambient does not show say a -2 degrees centre grade is a serious issue, but as its not winter here, do not know if this is still an issue, and as yet reluctent to try this mod as I just got it and don't want to brick it.

Also does the mod wipe everything? As I had to recalibrate it to use in the Southern Hemisphere.

I don't want to have to change it, if it is showing - temps, but read on this forum they do not show - temps?

So never seen this 2.2.7 firmware before? Do they customise firmware for the different countries?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:19:12 PM by denodan »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2016, 04:44:12 AM »
The picture shown looks like a ws1000, as it shows no sunrise,sunset, or moon?

Yet the updated picture of the new display looks really cool and a ws1001.

I just got an Aercus, which is an Ambient clone and looking at the display says about says:

Os version 5.0.4
Firmware revision 2.2.7

So appears totally different to 2.2.5 your mentioning here.

I believe 2.2.2 firmware, I think fixed the sunrise problem that when you where in daylight saving mode fixed the issue of sunrise time being an hour out.

Mine has that issue, when in daylight saving time the sunrise is 1 hour out. Instead of the time being 6:56am, it says, or said 5:56am, so got around this by the time zone setting of +13, instead of New Zealand time of +12? And we are using the frequency of 4.33mhz.

Also we have to recalibrate the wind direction to 180 degrees.

Now mine is working great, but never seen a firmware 2.2.7? So how does this effect having the nice looking new screen, which looks miles better than the factory one.

So what firmware versions did your station have?

After reading the Ambient does not show say a -2 degrees centre grade is a serious issue, but as its not winter here, do not know if this is still an issue, and as yet reluctent to try this mod as I just got it and don't want to brick it.

Also does the mod wipe everything? As I had to recalibrate it to use in the Southern Hemisphere.

I don't want to have to change it, if it is showing - temps, but read on this forum they do not show - temps?

So never seen this 2.2.7 firmware before? Do they customise firmware for the different countries?

hello yes the picture is the ws1000 without sunrise only thing i could find useable on the internet as did not have an image of my default ws1001 .

the issue of minus symbol was fixed months ago and the download has the fix included .i been saying for this a long time so its not a serious issue anymore.

however 2.2.7 firmware  hmmm I'm not sure and certainly wouldn't risk it at this stage, the download for the screen modification is for 2.2.5 not 2.2.7 so please don't use it .

i have not seen reference as you say to 2.2.7 mentioned however it could be forthcoming and I could check it out if there is any significant change however i doubt that but who knows. moreover that the guy at Fine Offset sent me a screenshot of what they may impliment in a future release of these clones and have to say its pretty impressive on the eye and looks very different and fresh , modern . but i have not heard anything for a while about it.

so please wait and don't risk it , if anything appears I'm sure we can adapt it .

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
A new version has appeared on the wiki page

https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1001-wifi

Version 2.2.9
February 19, 2016

Changes:
1. Will display Mac Address prior to being connected to WiFi.
2. Now supports connectivity to EasyWeatherIP Software for PC and Mac (beta). To download the software application, visit:

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2016, 01:10:29 AM »
A new version has appeared on the wiki page

https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1001-wifi

More then happy to download the new version but I have a question.

An annoyance with doing these software/firmware upgrades is the fact that the console loses all of its memorized settings and calibrations. The console also loses all of its records on the screen that shows times and dates that extremes have occurred. I notice in the update.ini file under the section
Code: [Select]
[Main] there is a line that says
DeleteParam=False and another that says
DeleteDatabase=True. Just wondering if you were to change the second line (The database one) whether that saved data would be preserved. It is nuisance having to start from scratch every time particularly as I live in the southern hemisphere and have to recalibrate it for wind direction every time a software update comes out. 

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »
DeleteDatabase=false
Put that line in, and nothing is deleted.

The only thing I have to re-enter, is my WiFi details. :)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »

The only thing I have to re-enter, is my WiFi details. :)

save more time ,save the original wireless.dat from your unit to your desktop and add it/copy it to the new 2.2.9 upgrade folder on the sd card etc :-)

looking at the 2.2.9 nothing major to stop using modified screen layout ,just copy the themes.ini file and modified theme  folder everything looks the same as in theme structure .

the app for the mac won't work on yosemite/el capitan as these don't support power pc apps however you can make it work just by changing the extension from app to zip ,
change easyweatherip-mac-1_0.app  to easyweatherip-mac-1_0.zip. its pretty basic but i see its easy to customise the layout and colour but it does exactly what sez and you don't need to specifically upgrade from 2.2.5 to make it connect to the unit .

Offline drsprite

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
Will this work for the screen for the Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP?

It looks identical to the WS1001. The default design of the WS1200 is boring and confusing.

Would love to try this on the WS1200 if it will work?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:33:50 PM by drsprite »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »
Will this work for the screen for the Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP?

It looks identical to the WS1001. The default design of the WS1200 is boring and confusing.

Would love to try this on the WS1200 if it will work?

i just downloaded the firmware https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1200-ip for the ws1200-ip 2.17 dated 2014 and its an identical structure for the theme folder so i see no reason why not .

secondly the server.ini is identical

[Menu]
default=www.wunderground.com
web=1
web1=www.wunderground.com

[www.wunderground.com]
Server=rtupdate.wunderground.com
ServerType=php
ServerPort=80
UploadType=Customize
ReadOnly=true

so you can apply the simple mod to send data to your server without ddwrt or anything else ..

let me know if need help we owe you for your inspiration ...

Offline drsprite

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2016, 08:10:36 AM »
so you can apply the simple mod to send data to your server without ddwrt or anything else ..

Ok I will try it to see if it works

The WS1200 screen does not have wifi in it. So it does not talk to the internet. It is 915mhz receive only

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »

Ok I will try it to see if it works

The WS1200 screen does not have wifi in it. So it does not talk to the internet. It is 915mhz receive only

oh dear sorry to hear that I saw the server.ini file and thought your in luck .  should have no problems with just adding theme folder .

Offline Pixel

• My Station
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
... should have no problems with just adding theme folder .
Hello
New-boy here - i’m happy to have found this site and this thread on editing various clones of theWs1001.

I have a Maplin N23DQ SolarWifi WStation (UK-433mhz) which i believe is one of the rebranded ones that come from Fineoffset in China.  After some mistakes updating my firmware to something published on an American site I contacted Fineoffset and they kindly sent me new firmware: 
‘[Main]
Title=HP2000
Version=2.2.9
Update Time=2015-01-01 12:00:00’

After reading everything on this thread I changed the firmware version number to a higher number, edited the ‘update.ini’ delete database=false instead of true and everything updated perfectly. The station has been happily uploading to WU for weeks without probs.

I would now like to change the screen to the OP’s and was wandering if I should just copy and replace just the ‘Themes’ folder to my memory card and run the firmware update again (edited with yet another higher firmware number) or do I need to copy anything else from the OP’s files. I’m using Mac and it will not recognise the station via USB connector and I don’t own a PC, hence I can’t just plug it in and change the files as discussed in this thread.

I want to take the plunge and try it but I notice that there are quite a few more files in the OP’s ‘Themes’ directory compared to the ones that are working on my station, including a ‘Themes.ini’ and another ‘Themes.ini’ within the ‘fonts’ folder - Maybe these are there in error and don’t have any effect? but after previous experience am a little hesitant

Has anybody tried just replacing the ‘themes folder’ on their firmware upgrade to achieve this better display?

ps - here's the link to the 2.2.9 (433mhz) version i was sent by FineOffset if anybody wants it
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p7dghdz5hlpkon8/AAAPYjXEHykQh0ZyJDxI16iKa?dl=0
it's on my dropbox so get it while you can  :-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:05:51 PM by Pixel »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »
... should have no problems with just adding theme folder .
Hello
New-boy here - i’m happy to have found this site and this thread on editing various clones of theWs1001.

I have a Maplin N23DQ SolarWifi WStation (UK-433mhz) which i believe is one of the rebranded ones that come from Fineoffset in China.  After some mistakes updating my firmware to something published on an American site I contacted Fineoffset and they kindly sent me new firmware: 
‘[Main]
Title=HP2000
Version=2.2.9
Update Time=2015-01-01 12:00:00’

After reading everything on this thread I changed the firmware version number to a higher number, edited the ‘update.ini’ delete database=false instead of true and everything updated perfectly. The station has been happily uploading to WU for weeks without probs.

I would now like to change the screen to the OP’s and was wandering if I should just copy and replace just the ‘Themes’ folder to my memory card and run the firmware update again (edited with yet another higher firmware number) or do I need to copy anything else from the OP’s files. I’m using Mac and it will not recognise the station via USB connector and I don’t own a PC, hence I can’t just plug it in and change the files as discussed in this thread.

I want to take the plunge and try it but I notice that there are quite a few more files in the OP’s ‘Themes’ directory compared to the ones that are working on my station, including a ‘Themes.ini’ and another ‘Themes.ini’ within the ‘fonts’ folder - Maybe these are there in error and don’t have any effect? but after previous experience am a little hesitant

Has anybody tried just replacing the ‘themes folder’ on their firmware upgrade to achieve this better display?

ps - here's the link to the 2.2.9 (433mhz) version i was sent by FineOffset if anybody wants it
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p7dghdz5hlpkon8/AAAPYjXEHykQh0ZyJDxI16iKa?dl=0
it's on my dropbox so get it while you can  :-)

hi i haven't used or tested with 2.2.9 but i know some others have and no issues as I am aware of, you right just replace the themes folder , as for the extra main.ini i tend to dump them into a folder somewhere to fall back on if I change something and it don't work so you can leave them there or remove them. as for mac will only work in a virtual environment as the unit is basically written on Windows CE .
have fun brian..

Offline Pixel

• My Station
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 09:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Brian (-:

My 2.2.9 works with your display tweak:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I just had to remember to edit the 'update.ini' by changing 'DeleteDatabase=true" to false (so as to keep my old data) + also re-calibrate relative Hpa (and also edit the firmware version to a number higher than what it was before to enable the update via memorycard - since I don't own a windows machine)

eg; if your firmware is 2.2.5 edit it to 2.2.6.
In my case I had allready edited it to 2.3.2 so had to change it to 2.3.3 to achieve the results in this post - but it's just a case of entering up a number that is higher than what firmware number you allready have installed and you'll be good to go :grin:

.. everything works - so thank you very much +1 rep
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:38:06 PM by Pixel »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2016, 01:37:42 AM »
hi good stuff , once you set up the server.ini ill send the template via zip.

have a good day

Offline greatg

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi. New user of the WS1001! I'm interested in updating the display screen as well. I clicked on the link in the OP but get error 404. Also tried links in weatherist34 sig, but was unable to dl template? Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
Hi. New user of the WS1001! I'm interested in updating the display screen as well. I clicked on the link in the OP but get error 404. Also tried links in weatherist34 sig, but was unable to dl template? Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction?

try here http://www.idesign34.com/homepws/ws1001.php

Offline greatg

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »
Thanks weatherist34! I got it! So, from reading this thread, if I replace the original theme.ini file in the font folder with the "new" theme.ini, I will be able to get the updated display? No other changes are required?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »
Thanks weatherist34! I got it! So, from reading this thread, if I replace the original theme.ini file in the font folder with the "new" theme.ini, I will be able to get the updated display? No other changes are required?

just replace the themes folder don't have to specifically do a full upgrade to get the changed console display. if you ar eon windows just connect via usb and drag the folder over replacing existing themes folder as a caution save your original on the console to your desktop.

have fun.

Offline Pixel

• My Station
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »

If youre doing the update via the memory card and not directly via USB then don't forget to edit the firmware version up by one increment in any file on the card that will update the firmware.. See previous comments by other users.

Also it would be interesting to see your display after you successfully update to new display, there was a peculiar thing happening in the 'solar radiation' display field when I did it. See my image in a post above

Good luck 

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 06:16:37 AM »
*note the theme files are not hardware firmware upgrades all we are doing is replacing existing image files , this is not a full firmware download or upgrade.
* this download has the peculiar solar radiation fix however it never appeared on mine,i found a slight transparent mark on the UVI.png that was causing the appearance
of that peculiar appearance.

UPDATED 1st April

http://www.idesign34.com/homepws/ws1001.php

Offline Pixel

• My Station
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
Just to clarify to anyone reading this thread. If you use a SD card to update any part of your WS1001 (Maplin N23DQ) et al' clone weatherstation's software you'll need to change the firmware number up by one increment to make it work. If you do it by USB cable via windoze (copy and paste/replace) then it'll probably be another matter. I don't know as I haven't tried it.

Offline greatg

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »

just replace the themes folder don't have to specifically do a full upgrade to get the changed console display. if you ar eon windows just connect via usb and drag the folder over replacing existing themes folder as a caution save your original on the console to your desktop.

have fun.

Got my device in. Just want to make sure I'm using the correct updated theme.ini? So, the modified in the download is located in WS1001homweatherstation\Update EasyWeather\themes

Offline greatg

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
Could someone help me out with just updating the display? I'm not too sure which theme.ini file needs to be used from the download and which needs to be replaced?