Author Topic: Anti-record temperatures?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
Anti-record temperatures?
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:40:03 PM »
(I wasn't sure where to put this post, so I'm putting it here.)

Whilst looking through climate averages and records for my hometown, I realized that there was a small set of temperatures that would never result in a record high or low temperature, no matter what month. I used the highest record low of the year (in my town, 57°F), and the lowest record high of the year (in my town, 66°) to determine this range of "anti-records", which would be 57° to 66°. It is possible for record low highs and record high lows to occur in this range, but a new record cold or warm temperature will never, ever occur in this range again.

This small set of temperatures will only get larger as time goes on, as the lowest record high of the year can't be set lower than it is; there can only ever be a warmer high to set the record. This also applies to low temperatures.

I'm not sure if this is important, or if it's ever been discussed before, but I believe that it is an interesting thought to consider. Just curious, does anybody use this kind of information, or is it cool but useless?

░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Anti-record temperatures?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
...but a new record cold or warm temperature will never, ever occur in this range again....

Why not?

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
...but a new record cold or warm temperature will never, ever occur in this range again....

Why not?
Just in case you were mistaken, this is for a specific climate station, not the whole world (I don't think I made that clear  #-o :lol:)

So, say for example the highest record low ever recorded for a location is 57°.

Record low = coldest ever for a specific day.

A record low can not ever be higher than 57°, because that just so happens to be the highest temperature that is still considered a record low for a specific day.

Record high = warmest ever for a specific day

If the lowest record high recorded for the same station is 66°, there can never be a record high cooler than that temperature, it is absolutely impossible (unless said record is deemed unofficial for some reason).

Using this example: 62° will NEVER, EVER be recorded as a RECORD HIGH OR LOW, because it is too warm to be considered a record low (highest record low is 57°), but too cool to be a record high (lowest record high is 66°) for any day in the year.

62° could be a RECORD LOW HIGH or RECORD HIGH LOW, which essentially means that there has never been a cooler high or warmer low in that stations history, but it is not the same as the coldest low or warmest high.

Hopefully this made more sense.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:58:59 PM by spc fresno »

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]