Author Topic: Winter Storm Khan  (Read 2042 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Winter Storm Khan
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
This is moved from the Coldest Temp thread.

It was an interesting drive home this morning.   8-[     The atmosphere is warm aloft and cold at the surface (29F).  It is raining, but the rain is freezing as it hits.  I had to scrape the ice off of the windshield and windows when I got to the parking lot this morning.  On the way home, I hit one icy patch on a secondary road.  The highways had been brined last night and again this morning, so they were wet, but in good condition.  The hard part was having to run the defroster on high to keep the ice off of the windshield.  The wipers were frozen and the defroster wasn't helping much.  It got so hot, I had to drive with the windows open some to keep the temperature bearable.  When I got home, everything was ice covered.  I had to use both hands to grab the handrail and get up on the porch (5 steps).  Put my lunchbox up and went back out to get the cocorahs tube.  It's in there thawing so I can turn in a measurement.  Settled in bed now watching the news and everyone trying to get to work.  It is supposed to warm up some this afternoon, so hopefully it will be gone before I have to go to work this evening.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:48:23 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: Winter Storm Khan
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Glad u made it. Ice is beautiful but dangerous. Don't blame you for cracking the window. Been there done that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:49:16 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
Glad u made it. Ice is beautiful but dangerous. Don't blame u for cracking the window. Been there done that.

If you can spell out every other word in the post, is it really so hard to spell out YOU?

There are few things that rile me up more than textspeak.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:18:12 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
Glad u made it. Ice is beautiful but dangerous. Don't blame u for cracking the window. Been there done that.

If you can spell out every other word in the post, is it really so hard to spell out YOU?

There are few things that rile me up more than textspeak.

Oh come on! Good Lord.

I fixed it. Are YOU happy?  There are a few things that rile me up too. Nitpicking is one of them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:54:31 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
This is moved from the Coldest Temp thread.

It was an interesting drive home this morning.   8-[     The atmosphere is warm aloft and cold at the surface (29F).  It is raining, but the rain is freezing as it hits.  I had to scrape the ice off of the windshield and windows when I got to the parking lot this morning.  On the way home, I hit one icy patch on a secondary road.  The highways had been brined last night and again this morning, so they were wet, but in good condition.  The hard part was having to run the defroster on high to keep the ice off of the windshield.  The wipers were frozen and the defroster wasn't helping much.  It got so hot, I had to drive with the windows open some to keep the temperature bearable.  When I got home, everything was ice covered.  I had to use both hands to grab the handrail and get up on the porch (5 steps).  Put my lunchbox up and went back out to get the cocorahs tube.  It's in there thawing so I can turn in a measurement.  Settled in bed now watching the news and everyone trying to get to work.  It is supposed to warm up some this afternoon, so hopefully it will be gone before I have to go to work this evening.
Got about 1/4" of ice a little north  & west of you here in KY. It was enough to miss work this morning. I65 was closed for many hours due to accidents.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
Freezing rain-ICK!!!!

Then it happens in places that don't have great winter road equip.

The Wrath of Khan-couldn't resist.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »
The Wrath of Khan-couldn't resist.

Yeah, I told my wife that's probably how I'll remember it.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »
Kahn - the German word for a small boat.  They must get a kick out of our name for a storm.

Any way - glad your travels were safe!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
I'm nominating the McFlurry as the next named storm! \:D/

That same system brought about 5 inches of snow in my hometown east of Charleston, WV, and a couple of inches in the Huntington area. However, there were 67 accidents on Interstate 64 between Huntington and Charleston between 9am and 6pm that day.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything