Author Topic: Mountains of Cap Clouds (8 Pics)  (Read 576 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Mountains of Cap Clouds (8 Pics)
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
Pileus (Latin for cap) cloud. Unlike the mountain cap cloud the pileus is essentially an accessory cloud, that appears as a smooth cap, or hood above a cumulus or cumulonimbus cloud. The cap forms when a humid layer is lifted to its dew point above a rising thermal. This may later penetrate the pileus, which will eventually be absorbed into the main cloud body. Sometimes several layers of pileus form above one another.

Cap cloud or cloud cap is a stratiform, orographic cloud that hovers above or over an isolated mountain peak, formed by the cooling and condensation of moist air forced up and over the peak and lenticularly shaped by horizontal upper level winds. The cloud appears to remain essentially stationary. (http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Cap-cloud.htm)

The photos were all taken the morning of 9 MAY 2015.
They are in chronological order and represent basically the same cloud structure crawling southbound across the Catalina Mountains.
The upper winds were were northerners and the ground layer winds were westerners

Some people have asked me to include more technique which I am happy to do.

In this series of photos I had the common problem of the sun to my face instead of my back.
In most of the photos the sun is within 20° of the subject clouds which is definitely close enough to overexpose the photo.
With sun that close the sun's light will hit the bottom of the lens and bounce around like a BB from a Red Rider BB gun with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.
Even a great hood has trouble controlling the extra light which just crushes the exposure.
My solution - create a light box of sorts...
In this case the exterior temperature was close enough to my interior house temperature I could not discern any heat waves.
So with the window open and the screen removed I back up about 5-6' from the window.
I adjusted the horizontal blinds until they completely covered the sun but allowed a view of my composition.
I was then able to concentrate on the light solely from the landscape
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:01:27 AM by kaymann »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Mountains of Cap Clouds (8 Pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Very unique, and well done!

Paul

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:50:24 AM »
Again, stunning photos. More importantly, thanks for the explanation of what's happening in the atmosphere. Learning about the types of clouds is probably the most important thing anyone can do to learn about how weather evolves. It is not unusual for winds higher up to be 90° from the winds on the ground, so understanding that helps us all to see how the air mixes to form the confluence we all call Weather.
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »
Great shots! You can even see some slight iridescence in the second from the top photo.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
Greetings All,

Thank you it was indeed an glorious morning to watch and experience.

Randall