Author Topic: Doing a presentation and need another manufacturer besides Davis & Peet  (Read 3140 times)

Offline ac2ev

I'm doing a presentation for our local amateur radio club. The topic is CWOP so I'm looking for a 3rd suggestion that is on the lower end of the price scale but not junk. I've currently got the Davis units and Peet Bros units in the presentation. What else is out there in current production that either supports CWOP with the manufacturer's software or 3rd party.

I'm need a unit that provides the basics:

Data Logging to CWOP
Wind speed/direction
Humidity
Indoor/Outdoor Temp
Pressure

This will be a general recommendation in the presentation. Think of it as a first timer getting into this who doesn't necessarily want to spend the big buck yet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Rainwise.

Offline ac2ev

While the Rainwise isn't junk it doesn't meet the specifications on being on the lower end of the price spectrum considering it runs $1300.00

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Data logging to CWOP is pretty much more down to the software you use to transfer the data.

For example Meteobridge supports this so any station compatible with Meteobridge (which means pretty much any weather station) is possible.

I personally use WH1010 and I would definitely not recommend that you include that on your list :D My first choice would be same as yours - Davis. Then, probably based on what I see from the users of my template, I would say maybe Acurite 5 in 1 could be an option.

Offline ac2ev

Thanks. I'm going to add Acurite and Ambient weather to the list. These are two of the more affordable units I could find.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Good luck on your presentation ac2ev.  I did one to the local LARC last year primarily on Blitzortung but also on weather stations and related services, upload sites, etc., with a brief mention of CWOP to which they could all relate (I am not a HAM).

Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Thanks. I'm going to add Acurite and Ambient weather to the list. These are two of the more affordable units I could find.
Then give them all the choices, and remind them that they'll get what they pay for.

Offline ac2ev

Good luck on your presentation ac2ev.  I did one to the local LARC last year primarily on Blitzortung but also on weather stations and related services, upload sites, etc., with a brief mention of CWOP to which they could all relate (I am not a HAM).

Paul

Thanks we had presentation on Blitzortung  last year. Might be adding this to my station as we had to direct* strikes last year

* within a couple houses

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
I feel entry level WXstations are a waste of money, for one they don't last and data becomes questionably with failing or just inaccurate sensors. 

Through the Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP), NOAA ingests weather data into its weather forecast models at the Forecast Systems Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado.
The quality of observations is important. I just can't recommend with good conscious any entry level stations for CWOP observations. 
Randy

Offline ac2ev

I feel entry level WXstations are a waste of money, for one they don't last and data becomes questionably with failing or just inaccurate sensors. 

Through the Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP), NOAA ingests weather data into its weather forecast models at the Forecast Systems Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado.
The quality of observations is important. I just can't recommend with good conscious any entry level stations for CWOP observations.

I agree 100% but I want to offer options and I will definitely let the group know that you get what you pay for.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Doing a presentation and need another manufacturer besides Davis & Peet
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
If you wanted something really accurate then get a Vaisala :D

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
An Ambient weather ws-2080 can be accurate if it is installed properly. It is much more flexible than an all in one style unit. I suggest this station on the low end.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 07:40:18 PM »

I forgot about the entry level version.
Randy

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »

I forgot about the entry level version.

If you want to send me some units I'd be happy to try them out for 10 years or so ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
Here is a list you may find useful with supported stations and software for CWOP.

http://wxqa.com/cwop_info.htm
Randy

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
Here is a list you may find useful with supported stations and software for CWOP.

Thanks, I somehow missed that page.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »

Thanks, I somehow missed that page.

I don't see Cumulus listed so not sure how outdated it is however.
Randy

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »

Randy, I definitely do not disagree with you if you have the money to spend. I still am running my now 4 year old WS-1080 and she's still kicking like a pro (After surviving a 10" diameter tree falling on it). There are a few diamonds in the rough still yet.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »
So I sent an email to Ambient Weather their reply is below:

Anything that includes a WeatherBridge will work. However, CWOP is very strict in their data quality so a Davis is a good choice and not a lesser station.

Granted lower quality units will give you data but the question is will that data pass the MADIS QCs. I will add to the presentation that location is just as important as the sensors.

The Rainwise units looked nice but their quite pricey for home use. I also found a PDF on the CWOP site about what to look for in a quality system and what can cause issues.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Consider this topic Closed

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
So I sent an email to Ambient Weather their reply is below:

Anything that includes a WeatherBridge will work. However, CWOP is very strict in their data quality so a Davis is a good choice and not a lesser station.

Granted lower quality units will give you data but the question is will that data pass the MADIS QCs. I will add to the presentation that location is just as important as the sensors.

The Rainwise units looked nice but their quite pricey for home use. I also found a PDF on the CWOP site about what to look for in a quality system and what can cause issues.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Consider this topic Closed

Sorry for late reply but my Ambient 1001 does pass Madis with two thumbs up :) 

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug