Author Topic: WeatherQuack.com to merge under WeatherTogether.net  (Read 3023 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
WeatherQuack.com to merge under WeatherTogether.net
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »
The weather community blog I started over the summer (WeatherQuack.com) to replace the WeatherBug Community is in the process of merging under WeatherTogether.net. I've had some reliability issues with WeatherQuack.com and even tried migrating it to another hosting provider, and I still had issues. Additionally, my personal IT company (Mallard Computer) is shutting down at the end of the month so I can focus on starting a PhD program coming up.

I've re-branded WeatherQuack.com under WeatherTogether and will keep the site up and running in parallel mode until bloggers can transition over to WeatherTogether (a handful of bloggers are having issues accessing WeatherTogether). it is WordPress-powered, so bloggers on WeatherQuack won't lose any content during the migration (I'll fold it in at a later date).

WeatherTogether has an excellent team of contributors and is more established than WeatherQuack, and I'd rather us pool our efforts together under one site than continue running separately. The ower of the site, Charlie, has also given me admin access so I can volunteer over there with IT assistance.

Those who were former members of the WeatherBug Community looking for a place to blog, check out WeatherTogether.net. We'll also look at promoting and linking to WxForum.net from WeatherTogether.net.

I'm still IT consulting at Earth Networks, and we've overhauled our tech team with new personnel. I've been assigned new technical contacts, and I'm getting them up-to-speed about the situation with PWS, and it looks like we're finally getting there with it and will have some new announcements coming up.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
Re: WeatherQuack.com to merge under WeatherTogether.net
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Thanks for letting me know about this. The admin team has double, triple, and quadruple-checked the website for malware, and it's clean. However, it's still on a shared hosting package, and some providers are blocking access to the site possibly due to another site on the server that was infected. The admin team purchased a dedicated IP, but it hasn't helped.

They're in the process of moving the media content to AWS plus looking at a different solution for the site instance itself. Once this is done, the site should load for everyone (I can get to it OK, but some can't).

It's still overall running more smoothly than WeatherQuack.com. My SQL database keeps tanking on WQ.
Nathan Parker

Offline AD7ZD

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
Works fine for me. It looks like you have dedicated hosting from what I can tell.

CWOP: AD7ZD

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Works fine for me. It looks like you have dedicated hosting from what I can tell.

It should be working for everyone now. Those who had issues accessing it are reporting it’s working for them now. Once my bloggers are settled in, I’ll merge WQ’s content under it and pull the plug on WQ. Excited about working with the WT team to continue giving people a place to blog about the weather with WU and WB’s communities now shut down, and I expect WT to do well for the long haul.
Nathan Parker

anything