Author Topic: ?sce=view  (Read 4522 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
?sce=view
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
All ken's script's on his download pages use the ?sce=view so that you can see, then copy or save as his PHP scripts.  I was able to use this to look at sam's advisory script as he was having trouble with his time zones.... When I try use this behind my php scripts it attempts to load the script with errors...

Is there a setting you need on your server to enable ?sce=view?

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: ?sce=view
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »
I am not aware of any secret setting there?
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »
I was going to add, we are both on goddady, so unless you recall doing the setting, guess that's not it.
So my question remains to anyone else, what drives this?

Andrew

ps: I have seen several other sites that ?sce=view does not work, or creates the same partially rendered page with errors.

I am not aware of any secret setting there?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Maybe it has something to do with their version of PHP their server is using.  Even though you and I should be same version in theory. 

Perhaps its the permissions of your php file.  Another shot in the dark.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
The handling of '?sce=view' is done by a small chunk of code if (isset($_REQUEST['sce']) && strtolower($_REQUEST['sce']) == 'view' ) {
//--self downloader --

$filenameReal __FILE__;

$download_size filesize($filenameReal);

header('Pragma: public');

header('Cache-Control: private');

header('Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate');

header("Content-type: text/plain");

header("Accept-Ranges: bytes");

header("Content-Length: $download_size");

header('Connection: close');

readfile($filenameReal);
  exit;
}
that appears just after the local parameter settings.  It should work on all PHP installations as it uses the default __FILE__ global as the target for the readfile($filenameReal);.  No extra PHP settings are required.

Some of the older versions of my scripts used $_SERVER["..."]; arguments for the __FILE__ and depending on the server (Apache v.s. IIS) it may not have had the particular $_SERVER[] value implemented .. that's why I'd switched to the __FILE__ which does work on Apache or IIS servers.

If you use the '?sce=view' on a page that has multiple includes (like wxadvisory.php), then the first script included on the page will respond and print it's contents, not the contents of the including page.

I, too, use this function frequently to help diagnose issues with script implementations on folks sites .. much easier than having them send the script and trying to replicate the issue on your server :)

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
Ken
Thanks, knew there was an "easy" explanation....

Andrew

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
So what Ken is saying here, is that Mack just needs to download and install an updated version of the script, to gain that function for his site.

Am I correct?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
Not that simple. Most of my php's are multiple call scripts. My php calling my or other's scripts.  The core ken php scripts will work.. I had not tested that yet.  If I add that code Ken posted to my scripts, it would display part of the code, and the rest would render what it was supposed to generate as if called without ?sce=view.

so for instance if I use ?sce=view with http://www.mackweather.com/ec-forecast.php?sce=view it displays the source code.  but index.php also has an include of ec-forecast.php so a ?sce=view shows gobbledegook.  I will add the code to a page and see how it behaves....

Andrew

So what Ken is saying here, is that Mack just needs to download and install an updated version of the script, to gain that function for his site.

Am I correct?

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »
Andrew,

The first script it encounters with a ?sce=view processor in it will try to use the function to print the contents of the page (whatever is the __FILE__ at that time).

When you do a ?sce=view on your index page, the first script it encounters with the routine is in ec-forecast.php.  Since your index page has already started putting out HTML, you get a series of Warning: header already started... messages, then the contents of ec-forecast.php is echoed to the page.  To see it, do a view source and it all makes sense :)

If you want to be able to ?sce=view for your index page, then you'll need to put the function at the top of your page (before any doctype or headers, inside a <?php .... ?> to make it just show the index page).

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »
Got it Ken, I just did not have time to add, was trying to explain something else... but should have left it to you...
Will add and try after kids to bed,  I am "parenting" this eve while wife is out.  Get in trouble when I call it babysitting...

Andrew

Andrew,

The first script it encounters with a ?sce=view processor in it will try to use the function to print the contents of the page (whatever is the __FILE__ at that time).

When you do a ?sce=view on your index page, the first script it encounters with the routine is in ec-forecast.php.  Since your index page has already started putting out HTML, you get a series of Warning: header already started... messages, then the contents of ec-forecast.php is echoed to the page.  To see it, do a view source and it all makes sense :)

If you want to be able to ?sce=view for your index page, then you'll need to put the function at the top of your page (before any doctype or headers, inside a <?php .... ?> to make it just show the index page).

Best regards,
Ken

Offline jachen

• Neue Wetterstation Widen
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »

Hi Ken (a long time ago)

I am trying to understand the magics behind "?sce=view 'processor'".

No chance to find out what happens behind the stage. Is there a security problem with it installed in scripts?

Maybe you find a second to let me know more about it.

Best regards
jachen

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Hi Jachen,

The ?sce=view capability is included in all my standalone (and the support scripts for the Saratoga template) to be able to see the source of the script for debugging.  None of the scripts that have 'secret stuff' in them would include that capability -- only the ones that use non-secret info like settings for data sourcing from URLs and internal configurations.  The main config files for the templates (Settings.php and Settings-weather.php) do not include that capability as you may have 'private' info like email address in it.

When you try ?sce=view on a wx....php page, the request will be 'intercepted' by the first script included on the page that has that capability in it -- usually the weather tags file, so it will display and not the source for the wx....php page itself.

Yes, there is likely a small security issue with the capability as it allows anyone to see the underlying source, but since all my scripts are free and in the public domain, disclosure of the source code entails no additional risk AFAIK.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Ken