Author Topic: VP2 ISS and Anemometer loss of signal  (Read 2972 times)

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
VP2 ISS and Anemometer loss of signal
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:58:58 AM »
Once again I find myself with a VP2 that is losing reception of either or both the ISS and Anemometer transmitter kit. :(

Last year I replaced the supercaps, as the one in the ISS had swelled up and leaked, and the one in the ATK wasn't too bad, but thought what the heck.

Now I am losing the ATK every night for the last 3 nights, and now today I've lost the ISS for around an hour before it returned. Still nothing from the ATK at the moment !

This has become extremely frustrating due to loss of rainfall data in particular.

Current firmware in the VP2 is  "REV JAN 4 2005 (AU)"

I've had this VP2 since early 2005, and whilst 5 years isn't too bad, I'd really hate to throw the lot in the bin and start all over again.

The cost of the 6163's is still around $AU1800 over here, which is ridiculous when you consider the US and AU Dollar are at parity at the moment.
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: VP2 ISS and Anemometer loss of signal
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
Sounds like the supercap is not charging. Are you getting anything from the solar panel ? You might want to meter it just to eliminate it. Next is the battery. Did you replace them when you changed the supercaps ? I heard that the battery will keep the transmitter running even when the supercap is bad. Replacing the batteries will get your units running but we are still back to why the caps arent charging. Hate to ask but you are sure your soldering is good ? Cold joints have messed with me in the past. If you do a search on supercaps here I believe there is a thread where there are some trouble shooting in it. I recall something about metering the cap while the panel is attached to see the voltage presented to the cap and then with no battery and no panel to see the voltage coming from the cap. I know this is a hassle but there are some things that you can do to find the source of the problem. The old problem I ran into with an ISS was the board was an old analogue board and Davis gave me a deal on a replacement. I think the ISS is kinda like an old Chevy....might need a little fixin' but keeps on running.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
I think the ISS is kinda like an old Chevy....might need a little fixin' but keeps on running.

Yep.  I still drive a 1966 chevy pickup once or twice a week.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
Have recently spoken to Ecowatch, the sole exclusive Australian distributors of Davis, who advised me the only way they check it out is by sending initially the anemometer kit down, then when it gets returned, to use that in place of the ISS when it gets sent down. Apparently the ATK is just an ISS with a different name.

As far as the firmware is concerned, there has been one update since 2005, but in order to do that I have to send the console to them. They told me that they do not hire out their firmware updater at all. I offered to let them take my credit card details and charge me the full price for the updater, and could then refund it on the safe return of it.

I might add to be fair to them, they said in or out of warranty they will update firmware free of charge if the console is sent down with prepaid return shipping.

Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline north of 60

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
I would just resolder the supercaps,  leave battery out for couple days to see how much time you get out of supercaps after the sun goes down in the evening after they've been charging via solar panel during day.

Does anyone know how the time of charging and amount supercap compare?  I did the suggestion above when I replaced my supercap.  I would get about one hour of supercap powering station for one hour of solar panel charging.  This was during winter with low sun angle.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
You can update your console firmware by going to this link: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_frmwr.asp
If your Vantage Pro2 Console Firmware is dated 28-Nov-05 or later, you may update your console with the Direct PC Install file. This is a stand alone application that will update your console firmware directly through the WeatherLink data logger connected to your PC. (WeatherLink for Vantage Pro2 (#6510SER, 6510USB, 6540, 6544, 6550 or 6560) is required to use the Direct PC Install file.) DO NOT USE the Direct to PC Install file if your Vantage Pro2 firmware revision is dated before November 28, 2005.
WeatherLink for Mac OSX (#6520) does not support Direct PC Install files. To update your console, use a Vantage Pro2 Updater.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
You can update your console firmware by going to this link: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_frmwr.asp
If your Vantage Pro2 Console Firmware is dated 28-Nov-05 or later, you may update your console with the Direct PC Install file. This is a stand alone application that will update your console firmware directly through the WeatherLink data logger connected to your PC. (WeatherLink for Vantage Pro2 (#6510SER, 6510USB, 6540, 6544, 6550 or 6560) is required to use the Direct PC Install file.) DO NOT USE the Direct to PC Install file if your Vantage Pro2 firmware revision is dated before November 28, 2005.
WeatherLink for Mac OSX (#6520) does not support Direct PC Install files. To update your console, use a Vantage Pro2 Updater.

Thanks, but as mentioned earlier my VP2 has firmware dated January 2005, and has never been updated since I got it in 2005.

The problem that I am having is that the exclusive distributor over here will not rent out the old updater to anyone... they have a requirement that we must send our station interstate to them, which means that our stations will be offline for the time it takes to send it to them, them to flash the update, and then have it shipped back.... minimum of 3 days if I'm lucky, and knowing my luck there will be a weather situation that I'd miss out on recording !!! :)
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »
You don't have to rent the updater if you use the Direct to PC install?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Nope, hence "direct" install. Of course, you have to have a WeatherLink logger/connection to the PC.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

But as I said before the firmware I have in there is OLD firmware ... i.e. the firmware still needs to be updated to a version that allows me to use the Direct to PC install.
Brendan,
vk4blp

anything