Author Topic: BloomSky Kickstarter Project  (Read 6152 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
BloomSky Kickstarter Project
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:20:56 PM »
While this isn't a full-blown weather station, it's interesting.  It'd be nice if they add anemometer and rain gauge modules.

I'm backing it for $99.  Got my first update letter today.  Apparently they actually are working on a wind sensor, but it's not scheduled until 2016.

One thing I wonder about is how accurate the temp and humidity readings will be only a few feet off the ground.  Perhaps it should be mounted a little higher for best results?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/907431954/bloomsky-snapshot-of-your-weather

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: BloomSky Kickstarter Project
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
Here is everything you ever wanted to know about sensor placement (and then some)

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Good luck!   :grin:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »
I'm quite aware of siting issues, thank you.

I was trying to get some discussion going of their design.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:39:52 AM »
Operating range is too small. Don't like the Li battery.  Needs wind.  Needs rain measurement not just  sensing. Needs more mounting options (ie. pole mount.  A stake in the ground - really?)  I'll wait for it to go on sale at Walmart.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »
The stake mount is just a simple option. (Yes, really.) You can mount it however you like.  You can also power it via a solar panel as an option.

Like I said, a wind sensor is on the schedule for 2016.  They haven't said anything yet about a real rain gauge, but I suspect that's also under consideration.  This seems to be targeted toward integration with a home automation system (kind of like what was supposed to happen with the AcuLink bridge and its unused 433MHz transmitter). 

Yes, this is probably targeted for mass-market retailers like WalMart.  I suspect they're going after the Acurite market demo, which doesn't have a lot of competition at the moment.

No one is actually interested in the actual design?  Oh, well...  I guess I'm the only one interested in UV/Temp/Humidty/Baro/Pictures with Mobile Internet access for around $100?  Wow.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »
It is a cute little unit, but I am wondering what the advantages to it are. It only accesses it's own stations, so available "local" data will be extremely limited and random and that seemed to be it's main selling point. Because of that, any other mobile app would probably be just as accurate if not more accurate. We are all seeing more and more low cost weather reporting units targeted to the "casual" user. These users probably have esthetics driving their placement other than proper setting. I know that we are all amateurs, but at least we are aware of and are making every effort for proper setting. All day time lapse videos are always cool. Maybe I am being a bit snobbish, but with out rain measurement, it is just a cool looking toy in my book.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
It looks interesting to me for the cam. I have been looking for a solar powered wireless IP cam.
Are there any alternatives to this BloomSky project?
The specs say:
WiFi-connected to BloomSky Cloud.
I am not sure whether this means I can retrieve the camera images from the cloud and post it on my website. Anyone know?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »

I am not sure whether this means I can retrieve the camera images from the cloud and post it on my website. Anyone know?

Greg H.

It's supposed to have an open API, and it will be a "free" service, so I expect that would imply you should be able to grab your own data.  Sounds like they will be using Amazon servers.

I'm not sure how the back-end will be supported financially...perhaps ads on the mobile app?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »
I see that the camera is now available. Has anyone bought one? If so how do you like it?

Greg H.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »
I've posted some details in other threads, but the bottom line is that it currently has a lot of issues.  It feels like an early-beta product.

Here's a new problem that just developed on mine in the last couple of days...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
Kind of psychedelic-looking. Wow, man....

I would be interested in how they resolve this, hopefully it is just a fixable software bug and not a fried image sensor.

Greg H.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
I've posted some details in other threads, but the bottom line is that it currently has a lot of issues.  It feels like an early-beta product.

Here's a new problem that just developed on mine in the last couple of days...

That's a "feature" you also get not just visible but infrared  :twisted: Seriously though, I would like to try one out if they get it production ready. Thanks for testing it for the rest of us.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »
I was hoping it was just a software glitch, but BloomSky support wants me to send it back for replacement.   :-(

I noticed another thing I don't like about the app.  I'm traveling this week, and the app seems to default to showing me the closest BloomSky device.  That doesn't seem real useful to me... I much rather it always default to my station.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
If it is IR, have you seen anything interesting in terms of clouds, or other weather phenomena? I have been wondering about whether an upward looking IR would show something like the IR satellites, but on a more local basis.

Greg H.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 10:59:34 PM »
Just an update...

It took me about a month to get a replacement due to the camera problem.

However, the setup on the new unit was far-and-away better than the original unit.  It attached to my network in less than a minute with no muss or fuss.

The application is becoming more polished and runs more reliably.  However, it still lacks a lot of features most of us would consider basic, like web access and generating temperature graphs.  It's still mobile-app only.

I made a weak attempt at trying to find the device on my network yesterday.  I couldn't find it.  I think it might be shutting down its network access between data transmissions to save battery life.  If that's true, it will be difficult to query the device for data....network sniffing might be necessary to get the data locally.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
nincehelser,

Now that you have had the 2nd BloomSky for a few months, is it still working OK? Any further updates on it would be appreciated.

Greg H.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »
nincehelser,

Now that you have had the 2nd BloomSky for a few months, is it still working OK? Any further updates on it would be appreciated.

Greg H.

It's been working OK.  The big question is how the battery will perform this winter. I have the "standard" lithium battery that is said to go down to -13F.  They do have a "premium" battery that goes down to -40F. 

Otherwise, there's not much to report.  The app has been improving over the last few months, but I've noticed no major new features.

However, December 23rd they plan to release their "dashboard" (now in beta) giving you more access to historical data.  I'm unclear if they mean you will finally have web access to your data, or if it's just an upgrade to the app.  They say it will do charting and you can export to a CSV file.  (see their sample image below)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Hello,

Here is the latest on the API.

January 6, 2016
http://weatherlution.com/bloomsky-api/

The BloomSky API, now available to developers, will allow programmers and architects of connected homes to link their weather station to any number of outputs.

It’s been a long time coming. From day one, our community was interested in connecting their home weather station to…everything. Some users had designed custom climate control for their homes, other users wanted to link their station to a weather website. The BloomSky API will export the latest weather data from a specific station in JSON format for any number of purposes.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the update.