Author Topic: So I have a RV, mobile internet connection...  (Read 3161 times)

Offline jbeyer

So I have a RV, mobile internet connection...
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
I would want a system that did not use much power, but allowed for accurate measurements while driving?  is that possible?  I would also like the ability to use the cheapest/best featured device if possible.  Plus mention of external devices and their costs as well and any suggesting of mounting on an older RV.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: So I have a RV, mobile internet connection...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
For an RV, I would probably suggest and all-in-one type unit like a Vue or maybe the wmr 100/200 types. Easier to mount.

They all dont use much power, most are solar cell rechargeable batteries.  Consoles run on batteries or very low draw wall plug.  Do you plan on just viewing on console, or  hooking up to a laptop?

As for accuracy while driving.  Your wind and temp may be accurate, but rain is not going to be.   Depending on where you are changes in altitude will mean you need to constantly adjust your barometer.   Driving will also cause quite the stress on the station.  On the highway it will be like its in a constant low end cat 1 hurricane.  Bugs, dust, rocks, debris hitting the station will also limit its life I would think.

Not sure what kind of external devices you are looking for... dont really need extra temp sensors, soil, etc.  UV?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
http://travelingrvwx.com/

You can probably ask Dan what he has and how he does it.
Tony

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Here's a shout-out to (a) Searching the forums and (b) members who pin the map.  =D>

I'm going to resurrect this zombie-thread and continue where the OP left off.

As suggested by CNY, I'm hoping NorCal_Dan or anyone else can offer assistance.  I love what you've done with your travelling weather map.  I toyed with that idea for the x-country trip we are taking this summer, but I would be happy with a non-reporting solution.

It would be nice to pull into a site and just rely on the outdoor temp/humidity sensors without moving them to a best-guess "ideal" location.  The only (somewhat) reliably shady spot would be under the over-cab (it's a class-c) but that would get rising engine heat.  I'm thinking making some sort of small stevenson screen (like the Davis Vue) and a wireless sensor/console with max/min but without cartoon weathemen.  I don't need a rain-guage and an anny is not a requirement either, since I already have a speedometer and GPS to tell me the windspeed and direction (at least while driving).  It's mainly for my log (possibly blog) and checking the efficiency of the HVAC.

Any thoughts on equipment and/or where to place it on my rig?

(By the way, NorCal_Dan, Long Beach a couple of years ago was the WORST beach vacation and the BEST overall family vacation yet.)

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
Four months...  That's ok, I'd like to share what I came up with.

By the second day of our six-week trip, I couldn't take it any longer, so I purchased an Oregon RMR203HGA (aka WMR300) at the nearest everything store.

It had (nearly) everything I needed, including a large display, backlight, and records hi/lo for temp/humidity.  The only short-sight is that you need to purchase a different sensor to get outdoor humidity.  I may purchase one, and move the stock (temp only) remote sensor to the rear of the RV, so I can tell how the A/C is performing.  On this trip, I had to rely on asking the kids, who always wanted it colder.

I attached the console in the cab with Velcro, and moved it to the eating-table when parked.

The attached photo shows the sensor location better than I can describe it.  Secured by Velcro, just above the rain gutter and in front of the forward coach wall.  It never quit or let go through temps ranging 38F-111F and a couple of big rains while driving.  If parked with the sensor on the sunny side, or in a paved parking lot for more than a few minutes, the temp would climb, but it was otherwise aspirated nicely and the temps were in-line with my comparisons to nearby WU stations when I checked later.

For $35.00 it worked out well.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline NorCal_Dan

• Traveling RV Wx
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »
Sorry, don't visit over here very often.  I'd be happy to answer any questions, feel free to email me direct.

If all a person wants is the outside air temperature I've seen a bunch of RV'ers who use these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Atomic-Wall-Clock-with-Outside-Temperature-Walnut/9720303

I have one myself, but I use it for watching temps in the fridge during the summer months and put it in the RV water compartment in the winter months.  A very simple method to keep an eye on temperature only.

I use the Davis Vue on my RV, but I do not leave it in position when traveling.  I mount it on the ladder above the roof line.  It takes me less than 5 minutes to put it up or take it down.  Leaving it mounted while on the road would serve me no purpose, so I take it down before traveling and put it back up once we get parked.

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »
  I use my old Davis Digitar Have the outside temp prob routed along a gas line to under the trailer were it,s located inboard out of direct road spray and clamp a 10' (2 5' sections tv mast) to the trailer hitch for the anemometer.  The Digitar didn't have an outside humidly sensor.  I get a lot of comments about the anemometer.
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

anything