Author Topic: OK This is just crazy cold  (Read 4179 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
OK This is just crazy cold
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
It was 4F just a few minutes ago.  The cold air has been easing into the area for the past couple of days.  I'm hoping things will warm after today.  It's my understanding that we were on the edge of the huge air mass.  I'm sure the people in Fargo, ND just shrug and go about their business.  I'm starting the new year thinking I may retire to somewhere warm where it doesn't get below 40F.   Brrrrr.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: OK This is just crazy cold
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »
Yep, been pretty cold here too.  Warmer does sound better  :grin:

CW3699

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »
This continued cold is affecting a large area... and particularly the last week of December.  Our coldest is usually late January and early February.
http://www.komokaweather.com/mysql/monthly-temp.php
http://www.komokaweather.com/mysql/monthly-data.php
http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/betel_datasummaryCU.php

Brrr
Paul

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
Last autumn the NWS was predicting a warmer than normal winter for New England. I always thought this kind of mid-term forecasting was highly questionable. Now I am convinced that it is pretty much worthless.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
It is just nasty.   Right now -13.9F.   it has been below zero around the clock in Iowa.   Windchills are terrible. Maybe, just Maybe  next Monday we see 24 F .
The serious part is that the roads around here have a thin layer of ice, making it slippery. with the seriously below zero temps,  the traditional ice melting chemicals are worthless.

And  it is only January.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:41:56 AM by Aardvark »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
It is just nasty.   Right now -13.9F.   it has been below zero around the clock in Iowa.   Windchills are terrible. Maybe, just Maybe  next Monday we see 24 F .   
It is just nasty.   Right now -13.9F.   it has been below zero around the clock in Iowa.   Windchills are terrible. Maybe, just Maybe  next Monday we see 24 F .   Welcome to the wonderful world of messing with the environment, Mr.  T.     

And  it is only January.

How has Mr. T "messed with the environment"? That was MR. BIgshot O. He was doing the manipulation and declaring a war on weather saying it was a threat to security.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
stop the politics-thank you.

We have been below zero since Friday. All but one hour or so.

I have posted a few times in other threads about pop in the garage exploding.

Slow modem-I was not real keen on sending my kid back to Fargo yesterday. Yes, her car runs fine, but you never know when it will get icy. This cold, water from car exhaust freezes on the road and will not be thawed by the salt on the roads. I tracked her almost the entire way home and back.

I am at school today preparing for next week. I slid a little bit on the way in. But for us, warmth means snow. It is supposed to snow tonight and a little later in the week. Yes, it can be too cold to snow.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
stop the politics-thank you.

We have been below zero since Friday. All but one hour or so.

I have posted a few times in other threads about pop in the garage exploding.

Slow modem-I was not real keen on sending my kid back to Fargo yesterday. Yes, her car runs fine, but you never know when it will get icy. This cold, water from car exhaust freezes on the road and will not be thawed by the salt on the roads. I tracked her almost the entire way home and back.

I am at school today preparing for next week. I slid a little bit on the way in. But for us, warmth means snow. It is supposed to snow tonight and a little later in the week. Yes, it can be too cold to snow.
Iowa schools are starting back this week. Des Moines tomorrow.  Colleges on Friday. Universities on the 15th.   I am home with coffee. :)
 We have had some major housing fires,  people need to be careful. An apartment complex went up in flames yesterday.  32 people homeless -condos.   

I think next summer , I willl spring for a new furnace. I had a new airconditioner put in last summer, the furnace is getting a bit old, a Trane,  so Maybe in May I can have it done. I am getting older and the wife won't remember it. 

But fire prevention should be in your lesson plans somewhere..

The weather equipment is working right now

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
Hopefully all of you have sufficient heat.. My furnace went out Thursday night and I have a small gas stove in the basement which heats just the basement but not the rest of the house...

ARGH!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Aardvark-I have been by those. Someone prob with a small heater.

The Waterloo suburb of Evansdale lost water service for a time Monday after temperatures fell to minus 20 degrees (-29 Celsius). Mayor Doug Faas (fahs) said Tuesday that water is being run directly from the wells into the system, bypassing the suspected ice blockage in the tower.

A city staffer is expected to climb the tower later Tuesday to see what's wrong and determine how to fix the problem.

In the northwest Indiana city of Lafayette, residents began hearing a hum that Duke Energy says is caused by extra power surging through utility lines to meet power demands during the Arctic blast. Monday's low fell to minus 16 degrees at the National Weather Service's Purdue Airport station in adjacent West Lafayette.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:47:27 AM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
One of the colder stretches here in the 4 winters since moving in. Received the rest of pre paid summer fill propane today 100 gallons and he said I had room for 18 more gallons  so 118 gallons used since fill in September. Not bad at all considering but November was well above normal.

I did add insulation last summer R-60+ roof and think it may pay off in a couple winters plus house had a new Carrier furnace added 20 seer just prior to moving in.  Since Christmas temperatures.... ;)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »
YOu could be these people. Jumping into Lake Minnetonka for charity.
it was -6 yesterday.

http://video.startribune.com/people-brave-subzero-temps-jump-into-lake-minnetonka/467558733/

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
Braving the cold chating with propane guy.  :-)
Randy

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
My skycam computer will not keep running in the cold anymore. I turn it on and it turns off.

I will try the computer again when it gets warmer out. But it don't look good for it.

My bloomsky weather station thing dies about 3AM because its batteries are cold I guess. and it comes back to life when the sun gets on it. I did see that its wind speed will not spin anymore also. Hope it is just frozen and not just broken.

it's a little warmer here today. my low yesterday was -13F today it was only -10F

Anthony

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Even the moles are COLD! ...Jan 2nd 2018 soil temperatures at 9am today
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
"My bloomsky weather station thing dies about 3AM because its batteries are cold I guess. and it comes back to life when the sun gets on it. I did see that its wind speed will not spin anymore also. Hope it is just frozen and not just broken. "

Have you tried lithium batteries?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
"My bloomsky weather station thing dies about 3AM because its batteries are cold I guess. and it comes back to life when the sun gets on it. I did see that its wind speed will not spin anymore also. Hope it is just frozen and not just broken. "

Have you tried lithium batteries?

Bloomskys have their own custom internal battery.  I think it's lithium-ion, but don't quote me on that.

I power mine directly from the AC adapter.  I guess it's been that way for a couple of years now with no problems except when someone unplugs it.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
We have been below zero since Friday.

The first time I read that, I thought you said February.  :o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
Since Christmas temperatures.... ;)

Wow! I'm thankful we haven't seen zero.  I hope all y'all up there are safe and warm.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »
Don't see this for Florida too often.

significant snow and ice accumulations expected on Wednesday...
..Winter Storm Warning in effect for southeast Georgia and
portions of northeast Florida...
..Winter Weather Advisory in effect for portions of northeast
Florida...

If you can believe this the county schools actually called and said they are starting the bus's early so they are warmed up for the kids. And here's the kicker. If you as parents believe that it's too cold for your child to go to school tomorrow it will be an excused absence. :shock:
35 freakin degrees is too cold to go to school? I think I have heard it all now.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »
We have also been well below zero for the majority of the time since Christmas here in Maine. Our highest temp since Dec 25th was 11F and the lowest was -23F. Our past 10 day average is a mere -6F!

And it has been windy so the wind chills have been brutal. Coldest wind chill so far in this stretch of -38F.

And it’s going to be even colder this upcoming weekend.

Oh and did I forget to mention it looks like we have our second blizzard of the season coming Thursday into Friday. And someone mentioned it’s only the beginning of January?  :lol:

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »

Florida...

If you can believe this the county schools actually called and said they are starting the bus's early so they are warmed up for the kids. And here's the kicker. If you as parents believe that it's too cold for your child to go to school tomorrow it will be an excused absence. :shock:
35 freakin degrees is too cold to go to school? I think I have heard it all now.

Minnesota "Hold my beer"

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »

Florida...

I'll bet there's going to be an all-day coverage on TWC tomorrow.  It could be  a really bad storm.  Luckily it's going to the south of me.  But the east coast is going to get slammed.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
If you as parents believe that it's too cold for your child to go to school tomorrow it will be an excused absence. :shock:
As you know, I grew up in Vermilion. The ONLY thing that closed schools was drifting snow, or something like Jan. 1978, pressure at 28.28", and waking up to two feet from overnight.