Author Topic: Double-checking before ordering - my BO RED build (now with E-field!)  (Read 14868 times)

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Well I've been starting to follow the postings on the builds for these units and with my tax refund on the way I'm about ready to order the basics from Egon, but before I do I just want to make sure I know what I need:
  • Looking at the list he sent it appears I only need to order the Amp and Controller boards with parts, the rest can be sourced stateside from various sources.
  • I'm looking at homebrewing the antennas, not sure if I want to go the loop or ferrite route but I'll figure that out by the time I'm ready to build. 
  • I'll need to pick up an anti-stat mat and strap from the local Fry's and dig out my Weller soldering station, my DVM and Panavise to help hold the boards while I build. 
  • I've got a 3x ring light magnifier on my desk already ('cuz I just can't live without one) and a handheld 10x/20x magnifier to scrutinize solder joints.
Anything else you folks can add that I haven't garnered from reading thru all the build threads?  All input is appreciated.  I figure I'll order later this week so I can start on the build in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:17:17 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Double-checking before ordering
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
That is great that you're going to take the plunge!

Here's a list of things you need that I've been sending to those interested in building kits:

================================================

There are several options for ordering the kits from Egon in Germany. I would send him an email using the inquiry form at http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page=3&region=3&subpage_0=30&p=3

You will likely get a response like this:

=============================================================================

You can get a complete kit from us that contains all the necessary parts
you need. We do not offer already assembled systems but only kits. The
price of such a complete kit is 191.95 Euro plus shipping and PayPal
fees, if you want to pay by PayPal.

However, I recommend you try to get as many parts as possible in your
country. This is especially true of the heavy material.  The price for
shipping depends on the weight. I suggest you order a complete kit
without some or all of the following parts which will reduce the price
as follows:

Amplifier Kit 12.3 = 31.95 Euro
Controlle Kit 10.4 = 74,00 Euro

* two 20cm ferrite rod antennas = +45 Euro
(you can build your own loop antennas)

* USB power supply = +5 Euro
(you can use any 5V USB power supply)

* two 5 meter CAT connection cable = +5 Euro
(you can get CAT cables all over the world)

* USB connection cable = +1 Euro

* STM32F4DISCOVERY board = +15 Euro
(you also can get this board from www.mouser.com world wide)

* external GPS antenna (SMA 3m) = +15 Euro
(you also can use any SMA externel GPS antenna, may be that 3m are to
short for your application)

(* amber display insted of a green display = +10 Euro)

The price for shipping a kit varies between 7 and 40 Euro depending on
the weight of the order and the country you live.

(here I removed some non-essential text)

Here are four frequently occurring examples:

1.) The two printed circuit boards, the HanRan Network connector, the 8
SMD op-amps for the VLF amplifier, and the programmed ATmega 8
microcontroller send to all over the world for 30 Euro including
shipping payed by money transfer or PayPal:
= 30 Euro

2.) Both kits with ferrite rod antennas, power supply, two 5m cat cable,
USB connection cable, STM32F4DISCOVERY board, and external GPS antenna
send to EU countries (17.00 Euro for shipping by DHL) payed by
a.) money transfer: 31.95+74.00+45.00+5.00+5.00+1.00+15.00+15.00+17.00 =
208.95 Euro
b.) PayPal: (31.95+74.00+45.00+5.00+5.00+1.00+15.00+15.00+17.00)*1.02 =
213.13 Euro

3.) Both kits send to all over the world (10 Euro for shipping because
of the low weight) payed by
a.) money transfer: 31.95+74.00+10.00 = 115.95 Euro
b.) PayPal: (31.95+74.00+10.00)*1.04 = 120.59 Euro

If you are still interested, please send us your postal address and the
information about the parts you want to exclude.

Do not pay before we you get a replied that we have all the material on
stock.

=============================================================

I recommend ordering Option #3 (the boards and components) plus the two 20 CM ferrite antennas, unless you want to get into making your own. This can be done easily with some ferrite slugs, 26AWG magnet wire and shrink tubing. They will far outperform the smaller ferrite antennas Egon is shipping and have a great track record here in the US.

You can also make inexpensive loop antennas. The ferrites work great, though, and are MUCH smaller.

Deduct the antenna cost from the following if you plan to make your own.

That would bring the cost to 120.59 Euro plus 45.00 Euro for the antennas = 165.59 Euro = $227.27 at recent exchange rates.

Then, order the following items locally here in the US:

An STM32F4DISCOVERY processor board that plugs into the controller circuit board. Get this from Mouser. They have the best price and very fast delivery: $14.88
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

You will also need an active GPS antenna with an SMA connector: $6.22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3M-28dB-LNA-Gain-RP-SMA-Male-GPS-Active-Antenna-Aerial-Connector-Cable-/151196398853?pt=GPS_Antennas&hash=item233401f505

You will also need a USB 5 volt cell-phone charger with a MINI (not micro) USB cable for the system power supply. It is probably a good idea to get one with a 2 amp output for a little extra capacity over the standard units, which are usually rated at 1 or 1.5 amps. Ebay is a good source. You may have a box of these lying around already.

I would also purchase an additional MINI (not micro) USB cable for  programming the board with new firmware in case the web-based firmware upgrade procedure fails. You can then plug the board directly into a PC and upload the firmware with a free utility.

You will need a SHIELDED CAT5 Ethernet cable to connect the amplifier board to the controller board. The amplifier needs to be connected to the antennas with only a few feet of wire. The shielded CAT5 cable then connects the amplifier to the controller. The two boards should be physically separated at least 8 feet to avoid noise pickup from the controller by the amp/antenna. The amp and controller may be much farther from each other for remote mounting, if desired, by using a longer shielded CAT5 cable.

You also need a standard CAT5 Ethernet cable (shielded or unshielded) to connect the controller board to your home network router or Ethernet switch. This can be any convenient length.

I used the following enclosures, which are a bit expensive, but very high quality:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T79SIY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $20.00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7ASJC/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $20.00

The boards do not need to be in a shielded enclosure. Other packaging options, down to using the bare boards on standoffs, will work fine.

The only other option you might consider is an AS3935 lightning detection module from Embedded Adventures. It adds the ability to detect local lightning < 75 kM distance. The chip on the board performs distance estimates to the leading edge of the storm front. The results are strictly local, without any direction indication. Detections from the module are not reported to the Blitzortung servers. I have the unit mounted directly in the controller case, as longer lead lengths don't work well with the I2C communication signals from the Discovery board. That means your controller location should be somewhere where the local signals will be detected (not a sub-grade basement). The firmware developer will be adding audio alerts to the controller web page. For now, the audio alerts are only through the small buzzer/speaker on the controller board itself. The controller can be configured to log data from each strike to an external server with a few simple scripts.
http://www.embeddedadventures.com/as3935_lightning_sensor_module_mod-1016.html - $20.85

If you choose to add the AS3935, this set of parts from Radio Shack makes the task of connecting the board to the controller very simple. It consists of 10 jumper wires with the correct terminations for connection to the controller an AS3935. It also has a header that is cut to length and soldered to the AS3935. Many stores carry the kit locally.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12825864 - $6.29

This should get you started. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Don Froula
WD9DMP

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:59:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, Kevin... my only suggestion would be to make sure you pay attention to all the little 'gotchas' we've experienced, and if you've read all our experiences you're aware of them.
Most of us have experienced some type of 'antenna' location issue, with interference etc, and those are as individual as fingerprints...
perhaps common issues may be nearby computers or other devices, low end power supplies for your rig, and poor earth ground... then there are more exotic issues like electronic fences and NATO submarines. That's where the fun comes. (Granted, NATO subs may not be an issue in Mesa, but you are near several UFO hotspots  :twisted: )
I suspect using the more portable ferrite antennas might be more convenient initially for antenna/amp placement during the 'startup' period.

Enjoy!
Mike
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:14:27 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful (and perplexing) world of lightning detection!

It will be great to have another western US station on-board. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

73's
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm sure it will be an adventure but it's something I've always had an interest in. Somewhere in a box I have a homebuilt version of Steve McGreevy's radio for detecting whistlers and other 'sferics that I put together 20 or so years ago, may have to see if I can dig it out.

Don F, thanks for the detailed list!  I do have the list that Egon sent and option 3 was what I planned to order.  I'll "roll my own" antennas, probably the ferrites as they seem the best option for my situation.  I've got a back patio cover that will make a nice home for the antenna and get it out of the faraday cage that is my stucco-sided house :) 

Mike, just for you:

Don M, thanks!  If my build goes well I may see if I can talk a buddy of mine in the Denver area into putting one together to help fill things in. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm sure it will be an adventure but it's something I've always had an interest in. Somewhere in a box I have a homebuilt version of Steve McGreevy's radio for detecting whistlers and other 'sferics that I put together 20 or so years ago, may have to see if I can dig it out.

Don F, thanks for the detailed list!  I do have the list that Egon sent and option 3 was what I planned to order.  I'll "roll my own" antennas, probably the ferrites as they seem the best option for my situation.  I've got a back patio cover that will make a nice home for the antenna and get it out of the faraday cage that is my stucco-sided house :) 

Mike, just for you:

Don M, thanks!  If my build goes well I may see if I can talk a buddy of mine in the Denver area into putting one together to help fill things in.

One thing you want to be certain to use is the smallest size solder you can find as well as a very fine-tipped soldering iron with a grounded and temperature controlled tip. The larger old-time stuff is just too thick to easily solder the smaller SMD's. I picked-up some of the 62/32 Silver-bearing solder (0.015" diam) from Radio Shack P/N: 64-035 and some Kester Flux-Pen #985M on-line. The flux really isn't necessary but I got it anyway. I also cleaned all of my boards with denatured alcohol after I was finished with the soldering - an old practice from way back...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
Hi All,

Getting started on my build.

Was hunting for a USB Power supply and got one from RS http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34331506.

Also Don,  there was a slight differences in the number of capacitors (104) between the amplifier and controller board in your inventory check list and the latest one from Blitzortung dated Feb. 23, 2014.  Otherwise, everything else fell into place.  The Op Amps on the amplifier board are now all SMC.

Now the fun begins on the building process.

Very good tips from all.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »

I have found his radio as the best tool that I have for sniffing out noises that can affect the Blitzortung detectors.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Hi All,

Getting started on my build.

Was hunting for a USB Power supply and got one from RS http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34331506.

Also Don,  there was a slight differences in the number of capacitors (104) between the amplifier and controller board in your inventory check list and the latest one from Blitzortung dated Feb. 23, 2014.  Otherwise, everything else fell into place.  The Op Amps on the amplifier board are now all SMC.

Now the fun begins on the building process.

Very good tips from all.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan,

Good luck with your build! Not sure which Don you were referring to (me, W3DRM or dfroula). If you are using my old build guide for the RED systems it was made for several revs back from what you have. I know it needs to be updated but without a current kit to review, it's kind of hard to make changes. Hopefully, it gives enough general guidance for the newer versions though. I am aware of the switch to all SMD Op-Amps and that a few components have also changed. That is probably why the capacitor counts don't match.

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
Hi,

Thanks Don (W3DRM) for the reply.  Sorry about which Don I was referring to. Your guide is a good base to start with.  Guess just to let cowyyn and others that might have gotten the latest kits, that there are some differences with your excellent write up for this project.

I almost wrote to Egon about the shortage in the controller board capacitors but just rechecked with the amplifier board and there it was, extra 104 capacitors that matched the difference.  No components missing so far.

Thanks again to both Don's for support with this project. At least all three of us are Hams..

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
Thanks again to both Don's for support with this project. At least all three of us are Hams..

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii
*cough cough* 4 hams *cough* :D
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:02:42 AM »
One more question for now (many more to come I'm sure): Do I need anything special to connect the GPS to the system?  Looking at a picture in Ken's build thread it looks like there is an SMA connector on one of the boards and I would just need a GPS with a long enough cable to reach the board but I seem to recall some mention in another thread of using a breakout board from Sparkfun, I'm guessing to make a more compact installation? 

EDIT: found the Sparkfun BOB reference, it was in miraculon's build thread.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:20:59 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:27 AM »
One more question for now (many more to come I'm sure): Do I need anything special to connect the GPS to the system?  Looking at a picture in Ken's build thread it looks like there is an SMA connector on one of the boards and I would just need a GPS with a long enough cable to reach the board but I seem to recall some mention in another thread of using a breakout board from Sparkfun, I'm guessing to make a more compact installation? 

EDIT: found the Sparkfun BOB reference, it was in miraculon's build thread.

You found it, the "BOB" was for the old "Green" 6.8USB system.

Also, in my RED build thread I used a "TRAM" GPS antenna with a BNC connector. The antenna was mounted on my Wx mast.

I ran that to a keystone jack (BNC-BNC), then on the inside of the wall I use a BNC-SMA cable.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »
Thanks Greg, that TRAM actually looks like a decent solution for me as well, it can go on the mast I have holding my VP2.  And since I need to build a window pass-thru for all the other cables I'll be putting in (cable to the amp and antennas outside, my 2m/70cm dual band ham radio, all-sky cam, etc) I guess one more feed point won't be a big deal.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »
Kevin,

I think I have a new Motorola active GPS antenna designed for outdoor mounting that you can have for the cost of shipping. It looks something like this, but flatter:

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/hd24361.aspx

It's designed for use with older Motorola cellular CDMA base stations. I'm pretty sure it has a lightning arrestor in the kit and all the mast mounting hardware as well.

The antenna uses an MCX connector at its base, but has an MCX-to-N adapter pigtail for the cable run indoors.

I may even have an in-line GPS signal booster if your cable run is long, also with N connectors.

I also have the sticky tar-tape for sealing the connections.

I was an engineer for Motorola for 30 years before the cellular infrastructure division was bought by Nokia-Siemens a few years ago. Now I work for Nokia-Siemens - same job, different name on the sign

Don

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:51:17 AM by dfroula »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »
Yep, found it.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if it will function with the DC voltage from the Red Controller GPS SMA connector. The antenna was used with Motorola Oncore receivers, which supply +5DC on the antenna connector. The newer GPS receivers seem to supply 3.3vdc.

I do believe the antenna was tolerant of the lower voltage, however. I can run some tests to check it.

Don

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
I just ordered my kit with antennas yesterday.  I'll be getting my own GPS antenna.  Will this unit get a GPS signal from inside a garage?  I have a fairly new house built in 2008.  Vinyl siding.  I plan on putting my unit out in my attached garage so I can get the antennas up in the attic easier.

I'm looking at probably close to a 25 foot run for the antenna cord, if I mount the antenna outside.  If I just pull out my Garmin, can I use that as a reference to see if I can get a GPS signal?

My gut is to just go ahead and buy the necessary parts to do it outside.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
I put together the necessary RF adapter stack to get the "N" female to SMA female connection and attached it to my Red controller. The antenna was recognized by the on-board GPS PA6H module immediately and got a fast GPS lock. The antenna seems to have a better view of the sky than my  Ebay cheapo patch antenna, as it is picking up all of the available sats, even those near the horizon. This is indoors, under a book shelf.

The PA6H supplies 3.3vdc on the antenna connector. The Moto antenna is spec'ed at 5vdc, but works just fine at 3.3vdc.

Don

Yep, found it.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if it will function with the DC voltage from the Red Controller GPS SMA connector. The antenna was used with Motorola Oncore receivers, which supply +5DC on the antenna connector. The newer GPS receivers seem to supply 3.3vdc.

I do believe the antenna was tolerant of the lower voltage, however. I can run some tests to check it.

Don
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:53:14 AM by dfroula »

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
*cough cough* 4 hams *cough* :D

Sorry Kevin, I did not see your signature with your call sign. I am sure there are more hams involved with this project.

Now gotta get busy with my build. I still need to find a few more things to complete my system when it is built.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
  KH6HHG
  Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
Kevin,

I think I have a new Motorola active GPS antenna designed for outdoor mounting that you can have for the cost of shipping. It looks something like this, but flatter:

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/hd24361.aspx

It's designed for use with older Motorola cellular CDMA base stations. I'm pretty sure it has a lightning arrestor in the kit and all the mast mounting hardware as well.

The antenna uses an MCX connector at its base, but has an MCX-to-N adapter pigtail for the cable run indoors.

I may even have an in-line GPS signal booster if your cable run is long, also with N connectors.

I also have the sticky tar-tape for sealing the connections.

I was an engineer for Motorola for 30 years before the cellular infrastructure division was bought by Nokia-Siemens a few years ago. Now I work for Nokia-Siemens - same job, different name on the sign

Don
Don thanks, I think I'll take you up on that. Shoot me a pm sometime tonite or tomorrow with details, I'm at work till 6 am. 

Just got my funds sent to Egon so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll start my build. Getting everything else ordered while I wait.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
If I just pull out my Garmin, can I use that as a reference to see if I can get a GPS signal?

My gut is to just go ahead and buy the necessary parts to do it outside.
Depends - what model Garmin do you have?  If it's one of the little pocket-sized handhelds like the e-Trex and you can get a good signal in the garage then a powered antenna will probably work there as well.  My Kenwood nav system in my Subaru has the active antenna mounted under the center of the dash (just under the multi-function display) and in my garage with stucco siding and concrete shingles I can normally get a lock by the time I'm ready to back out.  Maybe you can mount the antenna up in the rafters above the garage to get a better signal since you're already going to be up there putting the detector antennas in...
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »
Well I got the first of many packages today, the ferrites from SurplusSales showed up!  Went down to get some wire so I could see about winding them and the store I went to (Fry's) only had 20ga and 32ga in stock in the large spools so I went with 20ga, I figure I'll wind one pair and see how they do then if needed I can rustle up some thinner wire and wind another pair - I bought 30 of the 7.5x50mm ferrites so I have enough for at least four antennas.

The Discovery board should be here later this week and I figure the main package from Egon will arrive sometime next week.  Looks like April will be a busy month...
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
I'd recommend sticking with the 26AWG wire, close wound, single layer. That design has been tested to insure that the inter-turn capacitance creates no self-resonances within the pass band of the amp. That can have a bad effect on the lightning waveforms (tends to round off the peaks) and cause issues with location if the peak of the signal can not be accurately determined. Or, you may be fortunate and it will work fine!  :grin:

I have the curve of the 250 mm antenna in that report I posted on the resolution of my furnace noise issue.

Best regards,

Don

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
Don I appreciate the information.  I went ahead and rolled the first antenna using the 20ga wire and will most likely get the second one done sometime this weekend, but as I mentioned I'll also round up some 26ga or smaller wire to make another pair if for no other reason than the 20ga is a handful to work with; it's quite stiff and though it can be wound around these small cores I'm sure it takes a lot more effort than 26ga wire would and I'm all for ease of assembly  8-)

In other news I received my Discovery board today (yay!) so one more hurdle done.  This weekend I need to hit up the local HRO and see what they have in the way of window pass-thrus so I can start thinking about getting wires into the weather computer - Cat5 from the controller board, USB extender for the weather cam I still need to put up plus a possible all-sky cam that I might be able to cobble together, then the coax connections for my HAM radios and a decent heavy-gage run out to a couple of ground rods that will be going in - looks like the next few weeks are going to be busy!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
Here's some excellent wire:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082CUNVE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's what I rolled mine with...

Mike