Author Topic: $cddmonth =0.0 ... always?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
$cddmonth =0.0 ... always?
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
I don't seem to be able to get around 0 cooling degree days in WD's taglist. What's the secret?

I show CDDays in my WLink NOAA reports but all zeros in WD's reports and associate tags.

Heating days works fine under 65F but nothing registers when it's OVER 65F  ](*,)

EDIT: Actually, now that I've relooked, the heating degree days are +80 from what WLink reports. 1828 vs. 1748
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:08:49 PM by Cienega32 »

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: $cddmonth =0.0 ... always?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
I don't seem to be able to get around 0 cooling degree days in WD's taglist. What's the secret?

I show CDDays in my WLink NOAA reports but all zeros in WD's reports and associate tags.

Heating days works fine under 65F but nothing registers when it's OVER 65F  ](*,)

EDIT: Actually, now that I've relooked, the heating degree days are +80 from what WLink reports. 1828 vs. 1748

The AVERAGE temperature is what it looks for.  You may have days over 65F, but as a mean or average, are they actually?
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
I've yet to have a mean temp of 65+.

WLink has registered 18.2 CDDs for March - 5.1 today - it was in the 80s and 5.8 HDDs - it dipped under 45 overnight. WD shows the HDDs for today as 9.0 and CDD as 0. Mean temp was 64.2 (at this time).

13 hours over 66, 9 over 70 and 5 in the 80s today.

So if it's the mean temp in relation to 65F, where did the 9.0 HDDs for today come from?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:42:05 AM »
I've yet to have a mean temp of 65+.

WLink has registered 18.2 CDDs for March - 5.1 today - it was in the 80s and 5.8 HDDs - it dipped under 45 overnight. WD shows the HDDs for today as 9.0 and CDD as 0. Mean temp was 64.2 (at this time).

13 hours over 66, 9 over 70 and 5 in the 80s today.

So if it's the mean temp in relation to 65F, where did the 9.0 HDDs for today come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_degree_day

Seems as if some use 60 degrees as the mean.  I'm not sure how Brian has the computations derived, but without looking at your raw data I cannot know.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31:20 AM »
Pat,
I have never looked at degree days in WD, but it looks as though its using the simple formula.

degree day base value +/- mean temp.

So if the mean temp is 70 your cooling degree day value would be 5 (assuming 65 base value)
if your mean temp was 60 your heating degree day value would be 5.

If you mean temp has not gone above 65 for day / month / year you will have a cooling degree day value of zero.

I know VWS uses this simple method.

On your weatherlink noaa summary it show cooling degree days, it also says Method: integration.  For this method the software calculates degree–days using the average temperature for an interval and the interval time.  So its possible to have both, as you indicated by the 5.1 cooling degree day you noticed yesterday.

The integration method appears to be better to show actual heating or cooling needs, but hard to replicate by yourself. Obviously if your daily average temp is 64, you would not have any cooling degree days shown using simple method.  but in that day if it was 90 degrees for 3 hours, chances are your air co will have kicked in......and the integration method would have captured that in its calculation.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:00:39 PM »
Integration method in WLink...  #-o

I didn't even notice that and I think that would explain it, in my case - sounds reasonable!

Obviously, it's not that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things but you know how it is when you like to see numbers change as a result of the weather  :lol:

Thanks for the input, folks and thanks for pointing out my integration method Andrew.