Author Topic: "Breaking News"  (Read 6010 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
"Breaking News"
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Is anyone else getting tired of these Weather Channel wannabe attempts at being CNN or Fox News with their big, flashy "breaking news" graphics every time something happens in the world of weather? It just bugs me to no end that they are going down that sleazy street in an effort to boost ratings.

Here's the biggest problem with it: while they are covering the breaking news of damage reports and all that from severe weather, they are taking time away from covering the severe weather as it happens (the stuff that they need to be focusing on in order to protect lives.) There is a reason that in the old days of the Weather Channel they only discussed what had happened AFTER the storms had passed or when there was a lull in activity.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: "Breaking News"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »
I don't watch TWC anymore.  Nothing there for me at all.  Even Heather Tesch can't bring me back now.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »
Think about who owns them now... Universal/NBC.   :roll:
Joe Torsitano

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
In fact, I just dropped them out of my channel line-up.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:48 AM »
I don't watch TWC anymore.  Nothing there for me at all.  Even Heather Tesch can't bring me back now.

I never thought I'd say that but it's true.  I guess Heather just doesn't do it for me any more. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
I quit watching myself.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
I quit watching myself.

Ditto!  I can find out more about what's going on with the weather around the country from my website than I can from TWC.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
I quit watching myself.

So did I.  I just wasn't that interesting, so I decided to watch others instead.   :shock: 8-)

Offline Barry Curtis

• "Three WX Stations and Counting...LOL!"
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »
They need to stick with current conditions and forcasts.  Too many times they play series such as Storm Stories during afternoon hours and late at night when severe weather is at a premium.  And Sundays are the worst.  Even the local stations here don't have any morning weather or news.  One station here has a Good Morning Show on Saturday with local news, weather, sports...but nothing on Sunday.
If the Weather Channel wants to boost ratings they will stick to the weather.  What's next?  Naked Weather?