Author Topic: Installation Question?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline elbogen

• Borgafjäll
Installation Question?
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
I hope my question belongs here.
I have bought a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-hour fan, WeatherLinkIP ™ for Vantage Pro and a heater to the rain collector.
I'll install it in my holiday home in the Swedish mountains.
Temperature / Humidity Sensor should be placed with a height of between 4’ 1” and 6’ 7” above ground (1.25 – 2.0 m).
But in winter the snow can be higher than that. What should I do when this happens? Should I move up the sensors with the same recommended heights even if it is 2 meters of snow?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Installation Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
Place at max height and dig it out.  That is what they do with mountain weather stations that get even more snow than you do (although your snowfall is pretty impressive!)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
It's your station, do as you wish. But, if it were mine, I would mount it at an elevation that would allow me to access it for maintenance while being above the max snow depth (normal, record, or possible {your pick}). This is a hobby, and you do the best with what you've got.

Good Luck,

George

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
I'll install it in my holiday home in the Swedish mountains.

Will someone be there every day to "dig it out"?

If not, I would worry about two things:
1.  Without sunlight, it will be running only on batteries.
2.  The FARS may have problems with the snow.

That would probably argue that you should mount it at a height above the maximum snowfall.  Then accept the results as the best practical measurements for that location.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
Another way If you can get to it, these stations are easy to adjust height. Unplug rain bucket from ISS before moving and keep adjusting upwards keeping 4' above snow pack. Might save a lot of shovel work plus the snow could always blow back in.

That Davis heater will never keep up if you get that much snow. I would insulate the outer area around gauge trying to produce as much heat as possible on the funneled melting area. Maybe even consider more heat like a second heater, Your sensor shield has a high probability of being covered in ice as the snow melts. I've seen pictures of this where heavy snow falls are common.
Good luck
Randy

Offline elbogen

• Borgafjäll
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I'm not there all the time. One risk is that the weather station is run over by snowmobiles in the winter. It can also be stolen.
Another thing that concerns me is that the reindeer can step on it. I'll probably start to place it on the roof. It is about 3 meters above the ground.
I think I'll find another way to measure snow depth. I'll take the rain gauge indoors in winter.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »
Rain bucket is on top and attached so make a cover or just leave alone. The snow buildup will harmlessly fall off. Eventually melting and evaporating whats inside as temperatures rise.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Another thing that concerns me is that the reindeer can step on it.
I've seen posts here about protecting the weather station from cows or horses in the field, but reindeer :lol:  Regarding snowmobilers, maybe a red light on top... and hopefully the reindeer don't mistake it for Rudolph ;)

I would mount it to normal specs for all except the winter season, and raise it above the potential snow in the winter or on the roof as you mentioned.  Snow measuring is difficult if not there to do that manually.  There has been some threads here on automated snow measuring but that may not be practical in your situation.

Good luck, and enjoy.
aul

Offline elbogen

• Borgafjäll
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »
How to insert images? I've tried using the "Insert image" but still do not understand how to do.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Try the attachments option.
Randy