Author Topic: old version (stable) of VWS  (Read 4190 times)

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
old version (stable) of VWS
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »
Does anyone have a zip of an older somewhat stable version of VWS? I have the latest version and it crashes more than it did in prior versions. I have my computer set to auto reboot each night, but most days VWS will still crash at least once.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: old version (stable) of VWS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
What version are you looking for ? I think I have several zips still on the weather computer.

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Honestly any older version. If you think one was more stable then the other I'll start there!
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
I found 15 P02 which I am running right now and have not had a problem with it at all.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Does anyone have a zip of an older somewhat stable version of VWS? I have the latest version and it crashes more than it did in prior versions. I have my computer set to auto reboot each night, but most days VWS will still crash at least once.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by "crash"?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
By crash I mean it stops functioning and the program locks up. Usually (but not always) accompanied by a message box from windows that says "VWS has stopped responding".
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline dbolt

• Weather, Current and Forecast for Beltsville, Maryland USA
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »
Any follow up to this issue?  It happens to me every few days.  Setting the Win7 computer to reboot daily has helped, but VWSstill  stops working occasionally.

Event Log says:
Faulting application name: vws.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53bab169
Faulting module name: WININET.dll, version: 11.0.9600.18015, time stamp: 0x55cec345
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Bootup event errors say:
Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

and:
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

And, sometimes this error is recorede:
Faulting application name: CompatTelRunner.exe, version: 10.0.10208.0, time stamp: 0x55b5cf7a
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7601.17744, time stamp: 0x4eeb033f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000157db
Faulting process id: 0x750
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f4433081a6b6
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\CompatTelRunner.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

I've Googled the errors ad nauseum with no good answers.  Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »
I have been running v15.0 p3 for some time now (over year +?) on a Win 7 machine and no problems.  I was previously running 13.0 and it crashed all the time.  Since switching to v15.0p3 it only restarts when I restart it.

I do have a copy of 15.0 p3 zipped if you want, just send me a pm.

CW3699

Offline dbolt

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks Otis,

I'm running 15.03.  The only application the PC runs now is VWS. I'm considering a clean install of Win10 or win7.  The machine used now was formerly my main computer, so it ran a lot of different programs.  Consequently, there are most likely a lot of unnecessary apps/services/etc running.  When on the other PC (WinXP), VWS would run for a month or six weeks without any issues. 

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »
I erased v15 p02 and reinstalled it. The crashes have gone way down. I was given older versions to try, but I left the executable of p02 just to try it. I have the computer set to reboot at 3am everyday, but I'm now 3 weeks with one crash.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
Good luck dbolt,

The machine I'm running it on is strictly a weather computer, nothing other than weather programs and ftp running (VWS, Fling, vSPARS, etc).  May have Acrobat on it but not much else.  FWIIW, it is a refurbished Dell - $100.

Again, good luck and please let us know how it goes.

CW3699

Offline dbolt

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
I erased v15 p02 and reinstalled it. The crashes have gone way down. I was given older versions to try, but I left the executable of p02 just to try it. I have the computer set to reboot at 3am everyday, but I'm now 3 weeks with one crash.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I believe VWS has been running interrupted for over a week with a daily reboot.  I surely do appreciate that WeatherUnderground sends an email when the system has been down for more than 2 hr.  Otherwise, I'd not know that VWS is down.

Offline dbolt

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
Good luck dbolt,

The machine I'm running it on is strictly a weather computer, nothing other than weather programs and ftp running (VWS, Fling, vSPARS, etc).  May have Acrobat on it but not much else.  FWIIW, it is a refurbished Dell - $100.

Again, good luck and please let us know how it goes.

For sure, it is a good idea to do a clean install from time-to-time, but the thought is painful.  However, it shouldn't be too bad because this time about the only program I'd install would be VWS. 

Offline dbolt

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
VWS went down this afternoon.  Here is the error message from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: vws.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53bab169
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18939, time stamp: 0x55afd843
Fault offset: 0x0003d968
Faulting process id: 0x958
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e5c1510d0140
Faulting application path: C:\vws\vws.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

I'd sure appreciate some advice on how to prevent this from happening.

One thought that I had (maybe thought is too strong, more like wild guess) involved the 32bit VWS running on a 64bit platform.  Only a thought, which doesn't seem very important when I know that VWS ran for weeks on a 64 bit WIN7 machine.

Offline dbolt

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
VWS (15.03)  continues to stop working every few days.  It is running on a Win7 set to reboot a little after midnight each night.  It usually quits working between 2 and 5AM every 2 to 4 days.  I know it has stopped because Weather Underground sends me a message saying that no data have been recently uploaded from my station. 

This morning I received three notices (at 3:01, 6:41, and 7:12) from WU indicating no data have been uploaded .  Each of these "not working" message was followed in about 10 min with a notice indicating that the station was back up and working.  When I checked this morning, VWS was running and the Event Log contained no unusual notices and no entry stating that VWS had stopped.

Not sure what to make of these results.  Could be that there was a glitch at WU side.  Or, it could mean that VWS somehow resumed uploading after a few min pause.  Actually, it seems more logical to me that the messages from WU were in error.  Usually, they wait a couple of hours with no new data before they send the "you're down" email.

Anyone having problems with 15.03 stopping working 2 - 3 times per week?

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
I believe it is a glitch this morning with WU.  The same thing happened here with the emails saying I was down and then up and then down again.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
Since there are several posters on this thread who are having issues with VWS and also having to reboot their computers every day or on a frequent basis, I would like to ask if any of you have looked into using SoftWx's StartWatch? StartWatch is now a FREEWARE package that will monitor whatever program you want and will automatically restart it without you having to do anything at all. Please note that none of the software offered by SoftWx is supported any longer however, it runs well and really doesn't need any support. StartWatch was specifically written to handle the peculiar issues that VWS has when things don't go right.

From personal experience, if it weren't for StartWatch, I would have dumped VWS long ago. StartWatch seems to be the only thing that will keep VWS running. I still run it to monitor all of my wx-related software packages (VWS, Image Salsa, WD, VVP & VPLive).

SoftWx can be found at the following URL:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline bduren

• Bastad Weather, Sweden
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 06:54:18 AM »
Good day to you all.

I have been using Vws for more than 9 years following each update. Current version I use is 15.05 It is there to download.

When I upgrade or reinstall my operating system I always exclude vws.exe in DEP because some crash may occur full hour. I also check everytime that wininet.dll is no longer in vws folder. (this was update 15.00).
I do not know if this has cured som issues but since then verything works great.

When I make a clean install of a new computer and want to move vws I always take a copy of the whole vws folder to the same destination in the new computer. In my case d:\vws.
After that I install vws in the same folder. Works every time.

Happy new year.

/Bjorn
/Björn

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have not gotten back to this thread (and the Forum) for a while. I have been working hellish hours since October. I am going to look at Stat Watch!
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1