Author Topic: Why do news people walk in flood waters?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Why do news people walk in flood waters?
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
I have a general hatred for new people anyway.  The news in this country is generally not news, the anchors and reporters use stupid puns for every story, and I feel their average IQ must be somewhere just above my dogs.  Actually my dog is probably smarter.  The one thing that really gets me though is why in the heck do they think they all have to stand in flood water.  Do they sit around in the morning and think "ok flooding, let's do a standard flood shot.  You go stand in the water up to your knees then slowly walk toward the camera as we pan out." 

At some point in my life reporters went from a respected career to an absolute joke. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Why do news people walk in flood waters?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
At some point in my life reporters went from a respected career to an absolute joke.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the miniseries "From The Earth to the Moon" about the moon missions.  The series is known for its accurate telling of the story of Apollo.  Episode 8, "We Interrupt This Program", depicts the television media's point of view concerning the 'successful failure' of Apollo 13. The episode focuses entirely on Earthbound events, and adds a fictional subplot about the rivalry between a veteran TV news reporter who appears throughout the whole mini-series, and a young upstart.  Although fictional, I believe is is based on, and is a compressed version of what has happened to the news and news reporting organizations since the 1960s.  They substitute fluff for facts, and worry more about sensationalizing than substance.

Anyways, whenever I think about stupid news reporting, that episode always comes to mind.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »
    There is almost always just one reason they do those type things.  They either think, or sometimes really does, make people watch.  Maybe people are just waiting for something to happen to them.  I think it makes them look like goofs!
    Mark

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
Around here those are called "Yellowjackets" because of the slickers they wear.  It must be mandated, because all of the local networks seem to wear them.  Easier to find them downstream I suppose.

When they say "It starts raining, and the yellowjackets come out" they aren't talking about wasps ruining your picnic, it's the puddle-stompers with microphones.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »
lol Yellowjackets, I'll have to remember that.  It's so true. 

"From the Earth to the Moon" was epic, one of my favorite series ever.  HBO does such an awesome job on their historical series.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
I wonder if the news people have any idea what kind of crap could be in that water there sticking their feet in....Id make them suck it through a straw and see if they get sick....Then they would realize how stupid they look.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything