Author Topic: Rain and rain gauges...  (Read 3526 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Rain and rain gauges...
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »
We had some rain overnight, the first decent rain in a while. It was enough to finally get a reading out of the antique copper Standard Gauge that I bought from NiceBill months ago.

0.17" Standard Gauge
0.18" Davis VP2
0.20" Stratus

As an interesting side note, the Stratus gauge and Standard Gauge are built to the same proportions, such that the depth of water in each collecting tube is the same for identical amounts of rain. This is a pic of the Standard Gauge stick in the Stratus tube:

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
Re: Rain and rain gauges...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »

Interesting,

I have 4 gauges out, 2 stratus, 1 Davis vp2 and the 8" standard.

Did you have any wind?  Plays a big part.

The 2 stratus are 12' apart, E. & W.  1 is directly behind the Davis >6"<,  the 8" is 100' + >W. away, out in the garden area.

Depending what way the wind is blowing, anything above 4 mph., the gauges will have a difference of up to 0.03-4".  This amount will change in the gauges, relative to the wind direction and gauge location.  It will even differ in the 6" distance, during a stout breeze, between the stratus and the Davis.

When the wind is 4 mph. and below, all of the gauges will reflect the same measurement, as well as the eye can see. 

The wind, gauge placement with respect to trees, fences, towers, masts-posts and structures play a big part in, is your rain measurement correct.

Any one else ever run a test program?

I use the one behind the Davis, as a constant, for reports to CoCoRaHAS.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »

Good point. I'm going to go move my 4" to my Davis location.
Have you done any (physical) calibration to the Davis rainbucket?

FWIW, with my old OS I was recording rain manually using my 4", but it appears that with the Davis/VWS combination I can let the Davis bucket tip, and send the correct ionfo to VWS by adjusting  the console to match the 4".

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »

Have never changed a thing on the Davis TB.  It seems to be in step with the other gauges when the wind is low or no wind at all.

Changing readings is fine, as long as you know the 4" is correct, and that is your golden point?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:07:52 PM by NiceBill »
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »
The gauges aren't perfectly mounted. The Davis and the Stratus are on opposite sides of the top of a 6x6 light post. The Standard Gauge is just sitting on the ground about 5' away.

Since the weather station was placed, the cypress trees have grown up, so I've relocated the ISS to the light post. I'll need to move it again next summer, probably to the back yard.

Last season, I used the Stratus and a few storms to calibrate the Davis. It was way off.

This year I bought a tipping bucket calibrator from NovaLynx. I have a RainWise counter on hand, so I'm going to make a plug-and-play Davis calibration kit.

Once I'm done with all the Davis gauges I need to check and calibrate, I'll be offering the kit up for rental, with any proceeds going to support the North American Weather network, and the Southwestern Weather network.

Interesting,

I have 4 gauges out, 2 stratus, 1 Davis vp2 and the 8" standard.

The 2 stratus are 12' apart, E. & W.  1 is directly behind the Davis >6"<,  the 8" is 100' + >W. away, out in the garden area.

Depending what way the wind is blowing, anything above 4 mph., the gauges will have a difference of up to 0.03-4".  This amount will change in the gauges, relative to the wind direction and gauge location.  It will even differ in the 6" distance, during a stout breeze, between the stratus and the Davis.

When the wind is 4 mph. and below, all of the gauges will reflect the same measurement, as well as the eye can see. 

The wind, gauge placement with respect to trees, fences, towers, masts-posts and structures play a big part in, is your rain measurement correct.

Any one else ever run a test program?

I use the one behind the Davis, as a constant, for reports to CoCoRaHAS.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

rikostan

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
I just have the La Crosse gauge right now, but the Cocorahs gauge should be here Monday.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
Any idea how much for the rental.

Tim

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »
Any idea how much for the rental.

Tim

I'm not sure, Tim. I'm thinking about doing the same thing that I did with the Davis console updater: Whatever each person can afford, as long as my shipping costs are covered and they pay to ship it back to me or on to the next person in line. As I said, the net proceeds will go to support the SWN and NAWN sites.

As far as the gauges, yesterday I moved the Standard Gauge to a better location, and last night we had some decent rain.

0.64" Davis
0.61" Stratus
0.61" Standard Gauge

anything